You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Absolute size crop not working

The crop tool is not working correctly. Cannot get horizontal dimensions to work in the Absolute sizes. Any changes to the long dimension only changes the height, while the short dimension also changes the height. Why is the crop tool such a problem? A previous update also had problems with the crop tool.

4950px by 3284px from camera resolution. Set DPI to 300 and dimension in inches shows as 16.5 inches by 10.95 inches. Change to 14 inches by 10 inches and vertical height changes but cannot get a 14 inch wide crop. Previous versions worked fine, up to1.65 but now fails in 1.7. Windows 10 Affinity Photo.

I am also having a problem with cropping.

When I crop my photo quality turns terrible and very pixelated. All I am doing is cropping a photo that was taken in portrait and cropping to Instagram spec. so just a little off the top and bottom. Photo looks like I have zoomed in 1000% and have massive pixels!!!

Need to figure this out asap to finish a project for a client.

Never had this problem before.

Eventually worked out a solution to the Absolute size in the crop tool. Very different method from previous versions of Affinity Photo.

Camera image size 4950px by 3284px. Set Document for 300 DPI. Want to crop to 10 inch by 10 inch (3000px by 3000px). Crop Tool activated, then select Absolute size.Then Inches and affinity photo displays 16.5 inches by 10.95 inches. Type in 10 inches into the Right hand box. Then type in 10 inches into the Left hand box. Crop grid now larger than image height. Grab middle handle on the crop box and drag down the screen until a red line shows (green line middle of image vertically). Grab middle handle and drag up the screen until a red line shows. Then adjust or move crop box to desired location. Then Apply crop. Crop size is now 3000px by 3000px (10 inch by !0 inch). A longer way to get around the issue of what was in previous version very quick but this method is slower but arrives eventually at the correct outcome. I can live with this now I have finally worked out a solution.

Thought I had fixed one issue for achieving a square format crop (1:1) 10inch by 10 inch, only to discover another problem with the crop tool and Absolute size. Camera image size 4950px by 3284px (16.6 inch by 10.95 inch at 300 DPI). Apply Absolute Size crop and try to size to 4500px by 3000px (15 inch by 10 inch). Absolute size - change right hand size box to 10inch and the crop box reduces in height. Absolute size - change left hand box to 15 inch and box gets bigger in the height only. Now have two very narrow transparent edges if I accept the crop but the actual picture image does not change in size between the uncropped first camera size image and the new cropped image. If the edge of the image is very dark then it is virtually impossible to see where the crop box is in relation to the image. Cannot fathom this other than to think someone has made a right old mess of the entire method of cropping images that was working very well in earlier versions of Affinity Photo. Used to be able to crop down and relocate the crop box to the image I wanted to display and now that cannot be achieved.