You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't open PDF files

There are lots of different PDF files, made in lots of different apps. Some import better than others!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Just now, PaulEC said:

There are lots of different PDF files, made in lots of different apps. Some import better than others!

The PDF I tried to open is a scan I did myself of a sketch but you are right, I tried to open another random PDF and it worked...

Is there a way to know exactly which PDFs APhoto can open?

Not really. There are problems with embedded fonts (Affinity can't use them), but that shouldn't be a problem with a scanned image.

If you're scanning a sketch yourself, it might be better to use an image format (tiff or png are probably best) rather than scanning as a PDF.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

6 minutes ago, Roberta said:

The PDF I tried to open is a scan I did myself of a sketch but you are right, I tried to open another random PDF and it worked...

Is there a reason you have for saving a scan of a sketch as a PDF instead of a JPEG or TIFF.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

12 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Is there a reason you have for saving a scan of a sketch as a PDF instead of a JPEG or TIFF.

Hi Bruce,

No the only reason was that I saved it as PDF by accident. Still I'd like to know why I can't open it in Affinity Photo.. 

Could you upload the PDF so we could have a look at it?

Sorry, Roberta, I can't see what the problem is with this particular PDF file. It opens in several other apps, just not in Affinity!

I can only think that there's something about the way your scanner creates the PDF that Affinity doesn't like, but there doesn't seem to be anything actually wrong with it.

The best I can suggest, if you can't re-scan the drawing, is to install Irfanview or Sage Thumbs (both free) and convert the PDF to another file format. (PNG, TIFF or JPG). 

(Really like your drawing style, by the way.)

6 hours ago, PaulEC said:

Sorry, Roberta, I can't see what the problem is with this particular PDF file. It opens in several other apps, just not in Affinity!

I can only think that there's something about the way your scanner creates the PDF that Affinity doesn't like, but there doesn't seem to be anything actually wrong with it.

The best I can suggest, if you can't re-scan the drawing, is to install Irfanview or Sage Thumbs (both free) and convert the PDF to another file format. (PNG, TIFF or JPG). 

(Really like your drawing style, by the way.)

Thanks PaulEC

I think it will remain a mystery! I can scan it again as a jpg (already done) so it's not a problem :)

Thanks for the compliments as well :D

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Chris B said:

I'm getting a 'could not be parsed' message—is this what you're seeing? I'll ask dev to take a look as I think we've fixed something like this before.

Hi Chris,

to be honest I don't remember the exact message if there was one.. I think it just didn't do anything when I tried to open it.

I have since deleted the files, but if you think it would be helpful, I will scan another one and see how it goes :)

I tried opening the image in the latest release version of AP and nothing happened - no dialogue box, no progress - nothing. Just out of interest I opened the draw-2 document in Preview and exported it as .pdf and called it a different name (draw-3). That opened fine in Affinity.

Just thinking - if this happens again Preview intermediate step may be the answer.

On 6/7/2019 at 7:36 AM, Roberta said:

Still I'd like to know why I can't open it in Affinity Photo.. 

This particular PDF file seem to lack large part of the header section.

You can easily fix this by opening it in Adobe Acrobat Reader and saving it from there.

55 minutes ago, phil_r said:

I tried opening the image in the latest release version of AP and nothing happened - no dialogue box, no progress - nothing. Just out of interest I opened the draw-2 document in Preview and exported it as .pdf and called it a different name (draw-3). That opened fine in Affinity.

Just thinking - if this happens again Preview intermediate step may be the answer.

Solved!

I remembered that I had attached the PDF to this topic so I dowloaded it and tried again.

At first try Affinity P simply didn't open it, no dialogue box etc

Then I opened it with acrobat, simply saved with another name and now it works exactly as Merde and Phil were saying :)

3 hours ago, Andrew Michell said:

Thanks Merde. Opening the file in Acrobat and saving it enabled Affinity to open it.

phil_r, can you explain how you open a file in preview?

Sorry Andrew I should have explained myself more clearly. I opened the .pdf in Apple's Preview program and exported as a .pdf with a different name from there. Preview obviously fixed up something in the file that people are also reporting Acrobat does. (I'm guessing) :)

4 hours ago, phil_r said:

Preview obviously fixed up something in the file that people are also reporting Acrobat does. (I'm guessing) :)

Your guessing correctly.

This is a header of a broken file:

%PDF-1.7
1 0 obj
<</Type /XObject /Subtype /Image /Name /Im1 /Width 2550 /Height 3508 /Length 900578 /ColorSpace /DeviceRGB /BitsPerComponent 8 /Filter [ /DCTDecode ] >> stream

And this is a header of a file saved (no changes made, just "save as") in Acrobat Reader:

%PDF-1.7
%âãÏÓ
7 0 obj
<</Linearized 1/L 905820/O 9/E 901664/N 1/T 905529/H [ 436 137]>>
endobj

12 0 obj
<</DecodeParms<</Columns 3/Predictor 12>>/Filter/FlateDecode/ID[<659395BFB44F0C4AA90F570BF97EEE95><659395BFB44F0C4AA90F570BF97EEE95>]/Index[7 7]/Info 6 0 R/Length 36/Prev 905530/Root 8 0 R/Size 14/Type/XRef/W[1 2 0]>>stream
hÞbbd`b`Òeb`°ab`ܤ™þ>²  !éÅ
endstream
endobj
startxref
%%EOF

13 0 obj
<</Filter/FlateDecode/I 69/Length 58/S 36>>stream
hÞb```f``üÀÀÀÀ»9&`aà@â1C1C"ƒkÃíG ¼J4#0 
endstream
endobj
8 0 obj
<</Metadata 1 0 R/Pages 5 0 R/Type/Catalog>>
endobj
9 0 obj
<</Contents[10 0 R]/CropBox[0 0 578 795]/MediaBox[0 0 578 795]/Parent 5 0 R/Resources<</ProcSet[/PDF/ImageC/ImageB/ImageI]/XObject<</Im1 11 0 R>>>>/Rotate 0/Type/Page>>
endobj
10 0 obj
<</Length 47>>stream
q 577.36 0 0 794.26 0.00 0.00 cm 1 g /Im1 Do Q

endstream
endobj
11 0 obj
<</BitsPerComponent 8/ColorSpace/DeviceRGB/Filter[/DCTDecode]/Height 3508/Length 900578/Name/Im1/Subtype/Image/Type/XObject/Width 2550>>stream

• 10 months later...

I had the same problem: any pdf file made from a scan with my HP Office Jet Pro 8600 was impossible to open in Windows APublisher 1.8.3.

This bugged me a lot. Recently, Adobe didn't allow the activation of my old licence of Acrobat Pro on a new computer. I decided to switch an use APublisher for all my pdf needs.

I found out that after saving my initial scan with a pdf extension, I can open it with the FREE Acrobat Reader and proceed to the Save As… operation in order to open it in APublisher for editing.

This procedure suits my needs.

A wishful thinking: if a pdf file already managed in APublisher could simply be «saved» instead of always having to export it whenever I modify it.