You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cant get my head round Document Resize?!

I'm not prepared to suffer all that, rather than getting frustrated and irritated each time I resize a photo (which is between 1-20 per day) I have decided never to do that task in AP,  I don’t believe they will ever re-program that feature, which was doomed from the beginning, I don't believe that they are unaware of its shortcomings.

I'm thinking of not buying Photo v2.0 if it is not corrected by then.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

18 minutes ago, davemike said:

I'm not prepared to suffer all that, rather than getting frustrated and irritated each time I resize a photo (which is between 1-20 per day) I have decided never to do that task in AP,  I don’t believe they will ever re-program that feature, which was doomed from the beginning, I don't believe that they are unaware of its shortcomings.

I resize about the same as you per day haha. I produce over one hundred printed publications and about 2000 adverts a year. Right now I have 165 current projects on the go. Just little old me. The smallest inefficiency in workflow adds up to massive amounts of time wasted with needless mouse clicks amid quirky interfaces.

Below is my current load. Each one of those is a 36 page printed publication averaging about 10 adverts each. EVERY single image needs resizing and adjusting. I need efficient software.

IMG_0644.thumb.jpg.7e22dd57d56b45dd2481e847a2751223.jpg

14 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

I'm thinking of not buying Photo v2.0 if it is not corrected by then.

I'm on the fence with you.

4 minutes ago, Nazario said:

I resize about the same as you per day haha. I produce over one hundred printed publications and about 2000 adverts a year

Lucky you. Here, in Macedonia, if you are not involved with the ruling political party, there is no job for you.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi friends,

It's been 2 weeks since our complaints concerning the resize document flaws. I have searched for a response from Affinity , it appears to have been ignored, has anyone seen any comment about this problem, other than "it is by design"? (in the bug forum).

I think it is useless to complain anymore. They just multiply us with zero. It is [By Design] and period. BTW, I think that [ByDesign] is better name than Publisher. You just immediately now which program they compete with. :)

Nope not heard anything. The bug I had has been fixed in the latest Beta, whether they actually fixed it or it corrected itself in the update I don't know as there is no mention of it in the fix list for the latest update.

As to your question I believe Petar answers it best. They seem to be happy with the completely non logical UI for resizing which leads to confusion and frustration.

As an aside to this, I mentioned about the needless extra steps regarding the colour picker tool and had a good chuckle to myself when the guy doing the Affinity Live Keynote even got caught out by it! Even the people making Affinity and know how it works still get caught out by the illogical and needless extra clicks for this and that. Too funny!

The resize bug you had 'became' fixed on my Mac too for a while, but now it's misbehaving again, exactly as it was in 1.7.0.
I find it incredible that Affinity is not reading our complaints, or perhaps they are but don't want to get involved with such fundamental problems. I have observed that they are answering far less important posts in great detail.

14 minutes ago, davemike said:

The resize bug you had 'became' fixed on my Mac too for a while, but now it's misbehaving again, exactly as it was in 1.7.0.
I find it incredible that Affinity is not reading our complaints, or perhaps they are but don't want to get involved with such fundamental problems. I have observed that they are answering far less important posts in great detail.

Sometimes I feel like I'm looking at someone else's personal software, for which I'm not allowed to comment (too much) if it is not in their favor.

21 hours ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Sometimes I feel like I'm looking at someone else's personal software, for which I'm not allowed to comment (too much) if it is not in their favor.

The 3 apps are brilliant in essence and I really do appreciate what Affinity/Serif have done however there are just some completely, to put it frankly, stupid decisions on the UI and UX in parts. I feel they are trying to differentiate themselves for the sake of it and ignoring quality and efficiency (as well as this thread).

FYI Im still using Preview to resize as even though it means opening up another app its still quicker to resize in preview than it is to keep opening document resize and changing units in Photo to see if its worked. Kind of flies in the face of StudioLink!

Sorry to keep coming back to this but I keep attempting to use Document Resize and its just bonkers isn't it?! Even with the bug fixed the implementation is crazy, you can't use it with any confidence at all. Absolutely daft! Definitely just sticking with resizing in Preview.

To the guys and gals at Affinity. Please acknowledge our requests to look at the Document Resize implementation you have created and refine it so it is actually useful. As it stands it really does not work as part of any meaningful workflow. Its great that you include all these new technologies to speed up the application but why then slow them down with an ill thought out user interface? I can legitimately open Preview app in MacOS resize an image and reimport it quicker than fiddling with Document Resize in Affinity Photo. On top of that the Resample tick box needs to be removed if it is not going to function based on the settings selected. Also please show the pixel dimensions alongside the print dimensions and make them live update. Live update throughout the Affinity Suite is a big thing that is missing and should have been included from the get go. Typing in a value in one box then having to click inside another box to get the value you've just entered in the first box to update really is very poor decision in my book. Thats yet another click thats completely not required but you insist on all these extra clicks all throughout the Affinity suite that are simply not required! Your apps are brilliant, its the UI and the experience using it that is very poor indeed. I'd be happy to write up a report on what I think could be improved on the side of the UI. Just message me and I'll be happy to oblige.

Nzario, I share your frustration and this is what I would like to add:

Only now that Affinity Publisher has been released can magazines, design studios, advertising agencies, etc. consider replacing the Adobe trio with the Affinity suite. Because of flaws in Affinity Photo such as and especially the “Resize Document” these industries cannot possibly consider the Affinity as a viable alternative. Resizing needs to be efficient, with settings which allow intuitive, on-the-spot, precise control for feasible workflow.

The fact that the Affinity Photo tools which entail sizing have been so lacking right from the outset, and that criticism concerning the expediency of these tools was not seriously addressed by Serif in the forums since November 2014, leads me to believe that the Affinity set was perhaps never really intended to compete with Adobe, It must have been clear to Affinity that especially businesses such as hi-end magazines could not possibly use the essential Resize Document tool.

We have tried posting in feature requests, bugs, and this forum - there must be another "channel" to address our concerns, and to which Affinity would relate!?

To me it seems Affinity Photo is aimed squarely at Photographers who adjust images here and there and not graphic designers that process upwards of 50 images a day making sure they are fit for print environments. 

I worked for a web design agency and we were sent 25000 product images from the client. Each one needed resizing and the colour space correcting. Imagine doing that in Affinity Photo! You would go insane. 

Aaaah, I have much more to say, but I feel I would be out-of-the-game at once. :(

23 minutes ago, davemike said:

Petar, do you really think anyone from Affinity is reading this? - we need to find out what they do read.

Maybe some of the moderators and, I suppose, if they find it out interesting, they pass it further.

• 4 weeks later...

The bug has returned for me... sigh!

There is good news however and that is that Mark Ingram has said he has implemented a fix and improvements which will be appearing in a Windows Beta soon. One would assume the same fixes would also make it to the Mac version but there is no official word on that. I would greatly appreciate if someone from Serif could confirm this will be the case. I have 3 of your apps that I don't/can't use because one of them is fundamentally broken. Think about that.