You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Histogram window lags levels changes by ~20 seconds

Mac OS Mojave

iMac PRO 2017

3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W

32 GB 2666 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro Vega 56 8GB

With the latest release of Infinity Photo 1.7.0 and with the default 'Enable Metal compute acceleration' selected under Preferences 'Performance',  and using the 'Levels' tool, the image updates instantly to changes to the sliders but the main histogram display lags behind changes to the levels sliders by ~ 20 seconds.

Disabling Hardware Acceleration and setting display type to 'Open GL' restores normal operation, adjusting sliders in Levels the image updates instantly and the histogram display matches the changes with no appreciable lag.

While probably (possibly) not an issue for general photography, when processing astronomy images the lag in the histogram display when Metal is enabled makes background balancing almost impossible since we match the three principle RGB histogram peaks individually using 'Levels' to perform a basic colour balance before proceeding to more advanced tools.

Not a deal breaker as 'Open GL' seems to work fine with most of the tools and processes I am using but thought it's worth a report that selecting Metal under hardware acceleration on this particular iMac PRO with Radeon Pro Vega 56 graphics causes this lag problem with the main histogram display.

William.

Hi Gabe.

Yes, in Develop Persona with Metal Acceleration On the histogram display updates instantly to changes in white balance etc, the lag is evident when in Photo Persona.

Not too sure if Develop Persona will allow me to colour balance astro images as I don't have control over the individual RGB channels, in Develop Persona the RGB channels are always linked where in Photo Persona the channels are freely adjustable. I will have to experiment with some raw unbalanced astro data to see if that is possible with a change to the normal processing routine that I would follow in Photoshop.

Thanks for getting back to me.

William.