You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crashed, could not open recovery file

I cannot recall what I was doing when Affinity Photo 1.7 crashed.  I had opened a RAW file, developed it, and added some filter and adjustment layers.  I must have been working on the photo for about twenty minutes.  When I reopened Affinity Photo after the crash, it offered to open a recovery file, but didn't succeed in doing that.  I have the distinct impressions that this release is not ready for prime time.

Richard Liu

MacBook Pro 16" 2021 M1 Max | macOS 12.3.1 | BenQ SW271 | Affinity Photo 1.10.5

did of course consider attaching the crashing report, but, as I said, the program seemed to have crashed twice, once when I was doing I'm not sure what, and then when it tried to open the recovery file.  Only then did the dialog enquiring about sending the crash report to Apple appear, and I wasn't sure to which crash it pertained.

Having read your suggestion and had the time  to learn how to get all the Affinity Photo crash reports, I am attaching a .zip file with all (three) logs created after upgrading the program.

AFP Crash Logs.zip

Richard Liu

• Staff

Thanks Richard,

I have looked at the crash logs and they describe two separate issues, both of which have now been fixed. A build will be made tomorrow and delivered as a beta in this forum. Once we have validated the fixes, the build will be made public on or before 19th June.

Thanks again,

Andy.

@Andy Somerfield, great!  When the build is published, how long will it take to get the update from the Mac App Store?  Will the upgrade include a fix for the Gamut Check bug in the Soft Proof Adjustment layer?  Thanks.

Edited by Richard Liu
Added second question

Richard Liu

• Staff

Hi,

The beta build will be available from this forum tomorrow - you can (and should) use it in place of the store version if you are affected by any of the bugs it fixes.

The update will then be sent to the store ready for release on June 19th.

We are hoping to get the gamut check fixed too :)

Thanks,

Andy.

@Andy Somerfield,

Would I install the beta build over the 1.7.0 update that I obtained -- as an update to 1.6.? -- from the Apple App Store?

I must admit, my initial enthusiasm for Affinity Photo has waned somewhat as I struggle with color space issues in the Develop persona, and I have been using DxO Photo Lab 2 to quickly develop my RAW files and to give me an idea what I might want to achieve in Affinity Photo, should a particular photo warrant the extra work.  I find it almost impossible to develop a RAW in Affinity Photo so that it resembles the photo developed in PL2, so, in the interest of time, I have been exporting a JPEG from PL2 and preparing it for printing in Affinity Photo, where the Soft Proof adjustment layer proves very useful.  Of course, I would much prefer to do everything in a single application.

Richard Liu

12 minutes ago, Richard Liu said:

@Andy Somerfield,

Would I install the beta build over the 1.7.0 update that I obtained -- as an update to 1.6.? -- from the Apple App Store?

I’m not Andy (obviously!) but Mac customer betas are always installed in parallel with the current retail build: the installation will only proceed if the installer detects the presence of the retail version. Once installed, you simply choose which one you want to use.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)