You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

the reader

myrrhine

The image upload seems to have failed. Please try again!

9F726B34-E509-4ED1-AEF2-29CBF1AEBFA7.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

23 minutes ago, myrrhine said:

Hi, everybody,

My skills on affinity photo for digital painting are quite news (and i'm still fighting with brush pressure  :p)

But i would like to show one of my work.

Comments are welcome !

reader.jpg

Good for you.

As Alfred noted the picture does not seem to have uploaded properly.

However, I have added a Thank You to your post as encouragement for your wish to show what you have produced.

Don't worry that you are new at it. I am too.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

@myrrhine

Ah, the picture is there now. Excellent.

That is really good.

How do you get the variations in tones in areas of colour please? For example, the front of the red cushion and the top of the red cushion. For example, the green of her dress at the side of her left leg and the green of her dress by her right shin?

And how the tones of those colours do not change at an edge but flow from darker to lighter - or maybe lighter is not the right word for the change.

We can wonder about what she is reading.

We can wonder when the picture is placed - today or at some time in the past?

William 

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

Hi, myrrhine,

Your Affinity skills are coming along very well. While I had been using digital tools for quite some time, when I got the Affinity apps, I had not been in practice for several years. Took me months to regain the techniques you are showing. 

I can offer some comments based on my traditional training. The colors work well together. The bit of wallpaper decorative band is a nice subtle touch.

Most of the delineation is good, but the face is incorrect. Whenever depicting human appearance, particularly the face and hands, everything needs to be very good. In your work, the ends of the mouth are not positioned below the irises of the eyes, which is where they need to be. Attached, a diagram suggesting where the side of the mouth should be. Alternatively, the shape of the face oval could be changed to indicate a large amount of fore shortening. 

2 other things are quite problematic.

The main figure has a thin dark outline. In shaded or colored works, this is considered a shortcoming. It does break the figure out from the back ground, but it negates the feeling of light flowing across the forms. It would not be too hard to duplicate the outline curve, and delete the portions where the light would be the brightest. No fill for that curve.

The perspective made by the floor boards draws the eye into the illusionary space. Yet the window frame butts the top of the frame, and flattens out the top part of the image. No suggestion of an "above," or any recession into space. I suggest adding some space over the window, and maybe stretching the diaphanous drapes some to give a vertical push to the upper portion of the composition.

The image is charming and pleasant, restful in feeling. Adding a bit more finesse would likely be worth the time.

Observation.jpg.9984075c4f5437e33369b1e2c6caab0e.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Your picture has a charm and warmth that I rarely see in here.

Lovely picture.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

Hi everybody, thanks for all your sweet comments. That's really kind of you. I was really ashamed to show my work seeing all the fantastic works on the forum.

@William Overington

How do you get the variations in tones in areas of colour please? For example, the front of the red cushion and the top of the red cushion. For example, the green of her dress at the side of her left leg and the green of her dress by her right shin?

Well, you have to choose a color next to the base one. As exemple My base colour for the dress was green , then i had another layer with a saturation darker for the shadows and lighter for the reflects of satin (another layer). And i chose a round brush with few opacity and play with it .

And how the tones of those colours do not change at an edge but flow from darker to lighter - or maybe lighter is not the right word for the change.

I used the picker tool to choose a color between the lighter and the darker ( the zoom tool is my friend for that step) to do the flow.

@gdenby

I would really like to thank you for such quality comments :63_astonished:. It must have you taken a lot of time  to write such precise corrections. It will help me a lot and i will follow your pieces of advices for the next painting.:1_grinning: So, Thank you Again.