You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Separate installation of two different software versions impossible!

Good morning everyone,

my question is the following, is it possible to install Affinity Photo version 1.6.5 and version 1.7 on the same computer. Indeed, some functions present on the 1.6.5 have disappeared from the new version. 

When I try to install version 1.6.5 it opens a dialog window to update from 1.7 to 1.6.5 which of course results in failure and no other possible choices when running the installation program

Thanks you

3 hours ago, lugi said:

Indeed, some functions present on the 1.6.5 have disappeared from the new version. 

Perhaps you should tell us what these are?  Other users may then be able to suggest how to work around these missing functions.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

3 hours ago, lugi said:

my question is the following, is it possible to install Affinity Photo version 1.6.5 and version 1.7 on the same computer. Indeed, some functions present on the 1.6.5 have disappeared from the new version. 

I posted this question in the Photo for Windows Forum and got this reply from @Patrick Connor:

Now v1.7 is finally released, will we be able to run the legacy v1.6 so as to be able to use these plugins?

It should work, taking a copy if the 1.6.5 installation folder before you update, leaves the copied 1.6.5 EXE working,. It will not be able to load the 1.7 .AFPhoto files, and may get confused over new buttons on the toolbars etc.

I copied the Photo folder and renamed it Photo 1.6, then installed Photo 1.7. So far I have had no problems in running the two versions. This was only this afternoon, so there me problems surfacing at some stage, but none so far. All my plugins that worked for 1.6 are there in 1.7 and thse that I have tried work.

Note this is on Windows. It may not work on a Mac.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630