You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity photo 1.7.0 underexposed raw develop

Hi all,

I have affinity photo on Mac and ipad since one year ago. After starting using it for few days on ipad I stopped using it since then because the raw developer was much worse quality than the Macbook one, especially in darkness, highlights and the exaggerated contrast slider effect (even at 1%) compared to the Mac one. Yesterday I updated it on both platforms to 1.7 hoping that finally the issue in the different "develop" outputs between the two versions was solved (reading all the nice changelogs). Unfortunately I found to be even worse than one year ago before comparing the same RAW file straight out from my sony a7r2. Am I doing something completely wrong or it safe to assume that it's unusable on ipad? Here I just did a quick test, and I upload the RAW file as well so anyone can try. 

so first, UNEDITED RAWs in develop persona. open the raw in both platform and the histogram is completely different already, you can see how much is underexposed on ipad compared to the one on Mac. The whole spectrum is shifted to the left. You might say "just crank up the exposure on ipad", but that's not the point. Did you notice all the ruined colors in the water reflections? the reflections in ipad looks like totally burned (giant color stains). If you don't have the computer/ipad with you it's even visible in the two attached screenshot "unedited ipad" vs "unedited mac".

let's move to the second example, EDITED RAWs, in develop persona. Exposure raised on both to 0.53EV and contrast to 1%, that's it. Photo "edited mac" is perfectly usable now, photo "edited ipad" needs to be trashed immediately, all the details are gone black.

I hope someone can finally enlighten me, I don't know what else to do. Probably is my fault as well that I never found time to write this down in one year time.

Thanks!

unedited mac.png

unedited ipad.PNG

edited mac.png

edited ipad.PNG

Photo_27-12-18,_8_01_14_AM.arw

26 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

Hi @4le91,

Welcome to the forums. 

I'm sorry but I get the same preview and histogram on both platforms with no adjustments. 

Have you tried to reboot the iPad? 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Hi @GabrielM thanks for the test! Indeed I solved the issue thanks to you. Since you didn’t have it I decided to save all my projects and fully uninstall the app (never did in one year). After reinstalling the issue is gone! Can it be that the code didn’t get properly updated in a clean way between updates? If that is the case I think other people that never uninstalled the app due to the size of the projects might have the same bug!

thank you very much. It can be marked as solved now :)

@4le91 I hope you don't mind but out of curiosity I loaded your file (nice photo by the way) into AP on my iPad and got the same result that you got, ie. the histogram was compressed to half screen. Very odd. I laboriously backed up all the Documents in Home screen, transferred them out of the AP folder and deleted the app. Reinstalled a fresh copy and loaded your file again. Now the histogram displays correctly!

1C284AD0-FFEA-44CC-8894-2A18940D7E3B.jpeg

50DDBC28-7B52-4E81-A241-9DE86B4FF016.png

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

@DM1 thanks for trying! I wonder how many people are in the same situation without knowing...I hope soon there will be an update that clean old parts of code and solve this bug without the need of uninstalling the apps and removing documents. I managed to edit fully this photo in the ipad now! same result as my mac! I am so happy.

@Andy Somerfield for your attention :)

@4le91 credit to Paul Mudditt, solution to this is as simple as changing the Raw colour output setting from 32bit to the default 16bit. No need to delete and reinstall :$.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/