You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I downloaded Affinity Photo 1.7 on Windows 10 64 bits. I got the following message quite immediately after launching the installation package: failure of the installation. Then I removed Version 1.6.5 and tried again, I got the same message. I then tried reinstalling version 1.6.5 but it failed again with the same message. I tried installing with option admin, no success. I looked for solutions on  forum and tried many of them, again without success.

Now I don't have Photo installed on my computer.

Could you help me?

Best regards.

Pascal

• Staff

Hi Pascal6485,

Welcome to the forums :)

Could you please let me know what version of Windows you're running? If you're unsure of how to check you can find out by opening Windows Run (Windows Key + R) and pasting the following string, then selecting OK.

winver

You should see the following:

image.png

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

I have similar problem. I updated to 1.7 and it said that it completed it but when I opened Photo it opened the previous version. The progress bar during the installation just moved a bit and came up with the completed message.

I uninstalled it and installed it and now I have the icons and does not start, I can go to the folder directly and try to start it with the exe file but Photo does not even start up

I install applications on my D: drive and I have

Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Version 1809

OS build 17763.503

The same thing happened with Designer, exact the same steps.

The only thing works now is the Publisher Beta but scared to update that one.

• Staff

Thanks for your screenshot Pascal, could you all please try running the following tool and providing screenshots of the results?
http://www.asoft.be/prod_netver.html

Welcome @rlratkey :) Please try right-clicking the .exe and selecting 'Run as Administrator'. Do you see the same error message during installation? What is the size of the .exe you have downloaded please?

@Andrew S I recommend using the following Microsoft uninstaller tool to clean any files left when the update failed, then re-download the update file and try again.

https://support.microsoft.com/help/17588/windows-fix-problems-that-block-programs-being-installed-or-removed

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

• Staff

Thanks for that Pascal, no issue there. I recommend running the aforementioned Uninstaller tool to ensure the clean removal of the previous version, then try re-downloading the .exe and installing again.

If this does not help, I'm going to need some log files from you. Please paste the following string into Run and provide me with the latest Setup.log and SetupUI.log files please :)

%temp%AffinitySetup

I get the same issue when right clicking and selecting "Run as Administrator." The size of the file is 343,462. The first time I tried to update AP, I followed the link that appeared when I opened AP Ver 1.6.5.135. The second time I tried to upgrade, I logged into my AP account, downloaded the file from there, and received the same results -- specifically, the .exe program launched, it asked whether I wanted to install AP over my existing AP folder (yes), did I want to create a shortcut (yes), and then a new window pops up labeled Preparing. The Preparing thermometer then slid halfway across its length, then the Installing window popped up. At that point, the Installing thermometer flashed -- it was quick -- across its entire length, then I immediately received the "Setup Failed" notice. At this point, I cannot launch my old AP version, and when I got into Win10 apps to uninstall AP, it's no longer there. As previously stated, I didn't tried to uninstall AP before I started the upgrade process.

• Staff

Thanks for the details provided, could you please try running the above Microsoft uninstaller tool before attempting to instal the update?

If this does not help please provide logs files as explained above :)

Sorry, I missed this request the first time around. Here it is. When I ran the MS installer/uninstaller, it couldn't find AP. When I clicked "Not Listed" and entered my AP registration code, the utility said I needed enter my 38-character registration code. I'm uncertain what that is. Here is the DotNet info.

<32Bit>
  ->C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727
  ->C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319

<64Bit>
  ->C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727
  ->C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319

< Installed .NET Frameworks >
.NET FW 2.0 SP 2  (CLR:2.0)
.NET FW 3.0 SP 2  (CLR:2.0)
.NET FW 3.5 SP 1  (CLR:2.0)
.NET FW 4.6.2 General release (CLR:4.0)
.NET FW 4.7 General release (CLR:4.0)
.NET FW 4.7.1 General release (CLR:4.0)
.NET FW 4.7.2 General release (CLR:4.0)

< Installed Updates >
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile
 KB2468871
 KB2468871v2
 KB2478063
 KB2533523
 KB2544514
 KB2600211
 KB2600217
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended
 KB2468871
 KB2468871v2
 KB2478063
 KB2533523
 KB2544514
 KB2600211
 KB2600217
 KB2468871
 KB2468871v2
 KB2478063
 KB2533523
 KB2544514
 KB2600211
 KB2600217

< Installed Languages 3.0>
English - United States
< Installed Languages 3.5.x>
English - United States
< Installed Languages 4.x>
English - United States

• Staff

Thanks for that rlratkey :) 

12 minutes ago, rlratkey said:

When I clicked "Not Listed" and entered my AP registration code, the utility said I needed enter my 38-character registration code. I'm uncertain what that is

To find version 1.6.5.135 of AP in this tool, please copy and paste the following string here - 

7392fb3e-25b1-4337-90f1-8f481e6631a1

This also applies to yourself @Pascal6485, the error message shown in your last post determines that either Affinity has not begun installation, or you are looking in the wrong drive. Do you usually install applications to the S drive?

Dan, I think I may have errorred when I said the string was incomplete. I now realize, with the squiggly brackets, it would be 38 characters long:  {7392fb3e-25b1-4337-90f1-8f481e6631a1}.  I will retry shortly and get back with you. My PC has stopped running the utility. 

Hi Dan, adding the squiggles allowed the uninstaller to fix the uninstall issue. I then went back into my AP account and re-downloaded AP. When I tried to install it, I received the same error message as previously mentioned. In fact, the entire process replicated what I've previously noted, including all the details. Typically, my PC runs flawless. I'm uncertain what's going on. I will use the MS utility to uninstall again, and wait for your next suggestion.

Randy

Dan,

You forgot to show that the curly brackets need to be included.

I used the uninstall and it said it fixed it but it was still installed. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. As I started the installer it immediately showed the path where it was last installed which was D: drive for me. When installing the progress bar went to about 25% and said it was complete. I tried to run it and it was a no go.

I am in the same situation as rlratkey

I just checked that after running that uninstaller on D:/Program Files/Affinity still has the Affinity Photo folder with a lot of files in it including the Photo.exe one. The same thing with the Designer. I am facing the same problem with that too. I deleted the Affinity folder from my D:/Program Files

Interestingly C:/Program Files have an Affinity folder too when I installed all Affinity products on D: drive. On C: drive in the Affinity folder I came accross a folder called Common and the Publisher Public Beta. I think last time I installed that on C: drive because I was having failed updates with the betas on the D: drive. Not sure what will happen with that one when I download the final version that I have purchased already.

After uninstallation I still found 464 Affinity photo entries in the registry, not sure what that uninstaller was doing if left that many stuff behind.

Update on Photo:

In desperation I removed the 464 left behind files from the windows registry and now I finally managed to install Photo and it is actually working. I had to create the folders for the installation which was unusual. Normally I just change a drive letter to install to the D: drive but this time I had to navigate where I wanted to install it and create the folders in the Program Files like Affinity/Affinity Photo

Those of you who are reading this, if you are not familiar with windows registry then do not touch it because you can ruin your computer in no time. Wait for some instruction from Dan that makes this easier and less dangerous for your computer's health or if someone finds an easier way that works.

Update on Designer:

I did the registry clean for Affinity Designer as well and there was 371 files that I needed to remove. After running the installer Affinity Designer is finally working too. During installation I had to create the installation folder just like with Photo.

Interestingly both software retained the Open Recent files list and last saved or opened locations.

Success! It works.

First, I didn't touch the registry file to achieve success (although I was prepared to do that). Instead, I performed the following.

Step 1: When using the Uninstall tool Dan referenced (neat tool, Dan; I never knew about it), I found two oddly-named programs immediately listed under "Not Listed." One was named "..."; the other "..". I deleted them both. Then I shut down the PC for 30 minutes as I ran an errand. When I returned, I restarted my PC, and whatever the two oddly-named programs were that I had deleted, the PC started fine. I then performed Step 2.

Step 2: I launched Windows Explorer, and under my C drive (where I install programs), I looked in the following folders: Program Files, Program Files (x86), and ProgramData for any folders labeled "Affinity" or "Serif." Under the folders labeled Program Files and ProgramData -- but not under the folder labeled Program Files (x89) -- I found folders labeled "Affinity" (but none labeled "Serif"). I deleted them all. Before I deleted them, I inspected their contents and found a couple of Affinity sub-folders that held one or two files; most were empty.

Step 3: Next, while in Windows Explorer, I right-clicked my C drive, clicked Properties and, while on the General tab, I clicked Disk Cleanup. It analyzed my C drive and identified "Temporary Internet Files" and "Temporary Files" that could be deleted. I selected both and clicked OK.

Step 4: After Disk Cleanup finished running, I re-launched Windows Explorer, and under the C drive, in the Windows folder, I located the Temp folder. I then deleted every folder (there were a couple of dozen, dated today) that was empty.

Step 5: I returned to my Download folder, right clicked the the AP Ver 1.7 file I had downloaded under My Account on the AP web site, and selected "Run as Administrator." AP installed. It also placed the new AP icon on my desktop. I subsequently was able to launch it. Here is what I saw while AP was installing:

After right clicking "Run as Administrator," the install program (like before, when the installation failed) asked whether I wanted to install AP on my C drive, in a folder labeled Affinity (yes). It also asked whether I wanted to create a desktop shortcut (yes). Next, a window popped up labeled Preparing. The Preparing thermometer slid halfway across its length, about the same length and at the same speed as before when the process failed. Then the Installing window popped up. Here's where things went better. In the past, when the installation failed, the Installing thermometer flashed across its entire length -- it was quick! This time, it moved gradually. When the thermometer reached (approximately) the halfway point , the new AP icon appeared on my desktop. When the thermometer reached the end of its length, the thermometer went away and "Setup Completed Successfully" appeared. I then double-clicked the new AP icon, and the program launched.

Although I haven't used AP since updating it, I am encouraged that it installed. More interestingly (probably because I didn't delete any register entries), in the upgraded AP program, under Files/Open Recent, my most recent project files appeared. I had assumed, since I had deleted all known Affinity folders, especially the one under ProgramData, the files I had been working on would not appear. A pleasant surprise.

I hope this helps. If later today, after I play with AP, I encounter any more issues, I'll let you know. One of the things I wonder about: how to install a set of Macros I was given when I purchased AP over the winter. I guess I'll figure that out next.