You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

File Export Additional Step in 1.7

Thanks for the 1.7 upgrades, exploring and looking forward to trying the newly integrated features, great job guys... :-)

Quick question, when exporting files from AD and AP 1.7 I'm now presented with an 'additional' finder window asking 'Allow access to the folder to export multiple files'. This didn't happen in v 1.6x so just wondering:

1. Why the additional step
  2. Is this an Affinity addition or in some way macOS related (though I've not updated the OS)
  3. Can this be disabled as it is unnecessary as far as I can tell (unless I'm missing the point of it) and is actually a pain as it slows down the export process, more so when exporting large numbers of files

Many thanks

additional_export_dialogue.jpg

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

• Staff

This may relate to a page range function thats shared with Affinity Publisher but isn't visible in Designer and can't be disabled. I'm confirming with the developers just in case.

Hi Lee,

Um, okay... Strangely I don't experience the same issue when exporting files from the Publisher Beta, only when exporting in any file format from the 1.7 versions of both designer and photo. The dialogue window title seems to refer to multiple files rather than multiple pages and is effectively asking for an additional stage of confirmation prior to allowing files to be exported anywhere, whether a folder or even just to the desktop.

Would certainly be keen to know as this process now adds an unnecessary step to the export process which is a pain and I assume would cause issues if using a macro to export from photo, though I've not tested that.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344

Hi Lee,

One thing to note is that if you accept the prompt the first time it appears and then export subsequent files to the 'same' folder you won't see the prompt because you've already 'approved' that folder to save files into. But if you export to any file format available to a 'new' location, hit 'Save' and then when this new dialogue appears, hit 'cancel' and then try it with other file formats you should see the same issue, regardless of file format.

It appears that sackwort is experiencing the same issue (glad it's not just me!)

Saw and had that too under El Capitan, even when used on a user owned location and common writable downloads folder.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I didn't experience this under El Capitan. This is the first time I've experienced it and it is only common to Affinity Photo and Designer v 1.7. I don't, for example, get this if exporting to a pdf from Apple Preview or any file format from any other software so I'm assuming it is an Affinity issue as I didn't experience in v 1.6 and I've not updated my OS.

This extra step is invoked whenever you export from Affinity Photo 1.7 or Affinity Designer 1.7 to a folder you haven’t previously saved exports to (PNG, JPEG as well). I have the impression that this folder as well as its subfolders (!) are unlocked as soon as you save to this folder for the first time. It feels like a system-level security mechanism, but it remains somewhat mysterious. :/

macOS Sierra 10.12.6

Export-Prompt.png.76ddee9be821f1128e4e43a585e4df54.png

I'm getting that too on two computers except one of them won't let it finish. I can't click anything it just beeps. I'm not sure if the user hit cancel originally or not. I hit approve and it let me, but he can't export anything. 

1941274859_ScreenShot2019-06-07at10_45_44AM.png.736b3dac186214ea26c8342686149a95.png

At first it shows the normal folder view then when you hit save it goes blank like the original. Its not thinking or work because I try to click and it beeps like it's a hidden window now.

I do believe that what @Hangman said about "export subsequent files to the 'same' folder you won't see the prompt" and then "export to any file format available to a 'new' location" is because you haven't "Approved" the topmost folder which is the Macintosh HD (or what ever name you have for your hard drive with the system on it.

I approved my Macintosh HD and have no problems with saving to any local disks attached to my computer.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hi A_B_C,

This, for me at least, is unique to Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo v1.7. I don't have this exporting from any other software under any other OS version and it wasn't something that I experienced with v1.6 and I don't have the issue with the current Beta of Affinity Publisher, so it appears to be unique to Affinity and to v1.7.

I don't think it is system related because if it was I would expect to see the same thing happening when using other software, but hopefully, Serif will pick this up as a bug.

Hi Old Bruce

If I try selecting my Macintosh HD as the route folder to export Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo v1.7 files to I am then presented with an error dialogue saying :

"An error occurred while exporting to: filename. Permission was denied"

7 minutes ago, Hangman said:

If I try selecting my Macintosh HD as the route folder to export Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo v1.7 files to I am then presented with an error dialogue saying :

"An error occurred while exporting to: filename. Permission was denied"

Oh dear, I was very unclear, I was talking about the Approval prior to the saving, not the actual saving.

As an aside I would never save anything to the System's Hard Drive root level. Bad things will happen.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

Hi Old Bruce,

Me neither but I was just trying what I mistakenly thought you'd suggested, (my mistake). How have you 'Approved' your Macintosh HD and why would you need to in the first place out of interest?

I was doing a Batch Job in Photo. You can see how it is greyed out now.

996917083_ScreenShot2019-06-07at12_38_27PM.png.f421394e083012fee45dd053e96fdacb.png

This seems to have worked for me, although I have not tested it extensively:

In Affinity Designer 1.7, in the first export window I navigated up to the top level of my user account home folder & confirmed that I wanted to allow access to that folder. This seems to have been applied to every subfolder in my home folder ... & maybe a bit surprisingly this seems to have carried over to Affinity Photo 1.7 as well.

I am running High Sierra, which might have something to do with it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi R C-R,

I did something similar yesterday after Old Bruce's suggestion, though I selected my Mac HD and after a system reboot the issue seems to have corrected itself today as I'm no longer getting the confirm dialogue window appearing on file export now which is good but I'm assuming this isn't 'expected' behaviour in v1.7?

6 minutes ago, Hangman said:

I did something similar yesterday after Old Bruce's suggestion, though I selected my Mac HD and after a system reboot the issue seems to have corrected itself today as I'm no longer getting the confirm dialogue window appearing on file export now which is good but I'm assuming this isn't 'expected' behaviour in v1.7?

I have no idea if it is expect behavior, some weird new security feature introduced in a Mac OS security update, or what.

I opted to only grant access to my home folder instead of the entire Mac HD just to be on the safe side (so I don't accidentally try to export to some folder that I should not be saving files into.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

That's the thing, I've not updated my OS in between updating from v1.6 to v1.7 and it is/was only happening in AD and AP v1.7. I wasn't experiencing this in APub Beta or any other software I run on my mac which is why I'm assuming it is perhaps a Serif issue?