You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Slide a node

Hi folks,

There is something I've to deal with quite some times:

--> Sliding a node to match an intersection (or for another reason), but keeping it along it's path so there is no risk to alter very precise drawings.

post-7538-0-00556900-1431456778_thumb.png

The fact intersection "snap" between two paths is not supported does not help at all. Else I could simply add a new node at the exact intersection and remove the old "A"

(This would be a —great great great— feature and it's a —huge huge huge— need :)

To workaround this lack, I've to zoom into my intersection (desired A position), and manually add a new node. Please note that at some point when zooming, adding a node is not possible anymore as the detection of the path fails.

Beside the need of fixing this issue (detection for adding a node when in high zoom) + the feature request for snapping at intersections, I would have the following one:

This is a screen record of Cinema 4D

Cinema4DSlide.mov

Applying this concept to 2D path editing would be simply terrific! I hope you'll agree.

WebSite.pngTwitter.png500px.pngFlickr.png

• Staff

Tazintosh, thanks for that - I can definitely see the value of being able to slide nodes along. Is this only ever relevant for straight segments, or are you expecting it to work for curve segments too? I only ask as it might be possible to reuse a modifier when you're on a straight segment to achieve this, but if it must also work for curves then we'll have to consider adding it on a different key instead. I know that Ben will make snapping at intersections work soon, too - so this will help :)

Thanks,

Matt

• Staff

I'm liking this idea.  Fortunately we have a spare modifier key which we can use to allow you to slide nodes along an edge.  I'll look into adding it.

As for snapping to curves and intersections - that functionality was written a while ago, but needs some refinement before it is enabled (we only roll out the features that are up to scratch).  It will also probably only be available to the Pen and Node tools for placing and moving curve handles as it gets a bit too busy when applied to general snapping.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Let me apologize for joining this thread, but I was not able to find a way to perform the node actions shown below in Designer … hmm, if these actions should not be possible indeed, I would consider adding the respective options very useful as well …  :)

Move.mov

• Staff

Yes, we can sort that one out too.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Hi guys,

MattP, about your question… you know, the one about sliding on curves… well… of course this would be terrific :D

I did not say it specifically because I knew this would comes in mind of such a good team you are all making (eheh)

Please keep up the good work!

• Staff

This would be great idea alongside the ability to scale or rotate a group of selected nodes...! Currently still no way to do that I believe.

Free transforming selected nodes on-canvas isn't possible right now, but it is planned... Also, you can scale or translate a selection of nodes by using the Transform panel, but you can't currently rotate it. Again, this feature will be fleshed out as soon as we can - I'm aware it's a weakness, and I don't like those... ;)

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey guys,

I'll bump again on this feature because it's so needed :)

Reminds the need Lenogre had (but explained it thinking to the old AI way ;)) :

Many little things are missing : In AI, when you move a point of a shape, we can see the old shape until we release the mouse button. It's very handy when you must follow a line who is not horizontal or vertical. IN AD, we are blind.

• Staff

ok - I added the suggestion from A_B_C.

I think the suggestion in the OP can be achieved by a mixture of constraining and the new geometry snapping features. I'll try adding the option to contain to path vectors for straight segments.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

Ok. We are out of additional modifier keys, so the solution I've used is to add the additional vectors to constraining with the Shift key.  In addition to the constraining axis (set up in the Grids and Axis Manager) it will add the vectors between the node and the one/two nodes it is connected to in the curve.  I thought about restricting it to only straight segments, but I've allowed it for curve segments also.

The only thing we won't currently do is adjust the off-curve handles in any way - they will move relative to the main node.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

Still need the ability to align nodes :)

Yes... I know. Soon, soon.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB