You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher to be launched at Affinity Live

Ash

• Staff

Hi All,

We're thrilled to announce that Affinity Publisher will be launched at Affinity Live on the 19th June - and it's also available to pre-order now with a 20% discount.

We are going to live stream the event keynote at 6.15pm (BST) which will also include announcements on our future plans and perhaps a few surprises. For more info check out our spotlight article here. Would be great if you could join us...

Thanks,

Ash

<EDIT>

Here is a video of the event

</EDIT>

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

To all,

RE: AFFINITY DESIGNER VS AFFINITY PUBLISHER

I confess when I purchased AFFINITY DESIGNER, I thought it was a replacement for SERIF-PagePlus-9. I still use PP9 more so than AFFINITY DESIGNER, mainly because I find PP9 more intuitive with the UI in just finding basic tools & the help file in AFFINITY DESIGNER not much help either. I do on accasions give AFFINITY DESIGNER a further attempt with some success, but can get so frustrated at times, I end up going back to PP9 to get the task done. I just updated it to ver 1.7.0.367, so not too sure if any fundermental changes. Is there an update list somewhere ?

Anyway rant over, I really wanted to know what the main differences are between AFFINITY DESIGNER & AFFINITY PUBLISHER ? & perhaps the latter would suit me better ?

Over & out,

CJT963

Over & out,

CJT1963

28 minutes ago, CJT963 said:

I really wanted to know what the main differences are between AFFINITY DESIGNER & AFFINITY PUBLISHER

Designer is vector based app like Illustrator or CorelDRAW and Publisher is layout app like InDesign or QuarkXPress.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

18 minutes ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

I opened up the Publisher Beta just now and noticed that the other two Personas had activated for me.

Is it a joke, or what? They don't work for me. How did you make them work?

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

26 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Is it a joke, or what? They don't work for me. How did you make them work?

There seems to be a bug in the older 1.7.0 Publisher beta versions (.337 and .371 have been mentioned, I think) that enables the new Personas when the retail versions of 1.7 Photo and Designer are installed. That does not occur with the current beta version, .376.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Ohhhh, why I didn't try it? :(

4 hours ago, CJT963 said:

To all,

RE: AFFINITY DESIGNER VS AFFINITY PUBLISHER

I confess when I purchased AFFINITY DESIGNER, I thought it was a replacement for SERIF-PagePlus-9. I still use PP9 more so than AFFINITY DESIGNER, mainly because I find PP9 more intuitive with the UI in just finding basic tools & the help file in AFFINITY DESIGNER not much help either. I do on accasions give AFFINITY DESIGNER a further attempt with some success, but can get so frustrated at times, I end up going back to PP9 to get the task done. I just updated it to ver 1.7.0.367, so not too sure if any fundermental changes. Is there an update list somewhere ?

Anyway rant over, I really wanted to know what the main differences are between AFFINITY DESIGNER & AFFINITY PUBLISHER ? & perhaps the latter would suit me better ?

Over & out,

CJT963

I've been using publisher for several months now. IN the earlier beta stages it was not as functional as PP. Now, the latest release beta, which is, I think, similar to the release candidate, is clearly superior to PP9. It still does NOT open PP files, I believe, so you would need to start a fresh file, but I can now do everything I could with PP 9, and more, as efficiently, if not more so.

Len G

Oregon

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

There seems to be a bug in the older 1.7.0 Publisher beta versions (.337 and .371 have been mentioned, I think) that enables the new Personas when the retail versions of 1.7 Photo and Designer are installed. That does not occur with the current beta version, .376.

Reinstalled! :D So cool.

Is there going to be training material available for Publisher? The 16 little intro videos were awesome, but they're now out of date and the statement there never really came to fruition...

Here’s a selection of tutorials to help you get started with Affinity Publisher. More will be added regularly over the coming weeks and months as we get ready for launch.

11 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

There seems to be a bug in the older 1.7.0 Publisher beta versions (.337 and .371 have been mentioned, I think)

Interesting. They removed link for downloading these versions, so I can't try the Personas. :(

21 hours ago, Ash said:

We are going to live stream the event keynote at 6.15pm (BST) which will also include announcements on our future plans and perhaps a few surprises. For more info check out our spotlight article here. Would be great if you could join us...

Thanks,

Ash

Any chance you guys update the Affinity TV App on Apple TV for a live stream of the Event (and catching up the new set of turorials?) Would be pretty cool. 

Nevertheless, looking forward to Affinity Live!! :)

12 hours ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Designer is vector based app like Illustrator or CorelDRAW and Publisher is layout app like InDesign or QuarkXPress.

I have used Affinity Publisher to produce vector graphics using the Pen Tool and exported designs in various formats, including PDF, as a bitmap format png and as a vector format svg.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

4 hours ago, William Overington said:

I have used Affinity Publisher to produce vector graphics using the Pen Tool and exported designs in various formats, including PDF, as a bitmap format png and as a vector format svg.

William

The same can be don with Photo, but Designer has more dedicated Vector Tools.

Best regards!

On 6/6/2019 at 10:13 AM, Ash said:

Hi All,

We're thrilled to announce that Affinity Publisher will be launched at Affinity Live on the 19th June - and it's also available to pre-order now with a 20% discount.

Thanks,

Ash

@Ash

Can you say please what is the event in total please?

For example, is it a presentation in a studio or is there an actual gathering of staff and some invited guests as well?

For example, are you going to get some A4 frames from Tesco and ask beta testers to post electronically A4 PDFs produced using Affinity Publisher by next Wednesday and then you could select some or all of what you get by next Friday and have some of your staff print them out and frame them and then have an exhibition at the Affinity Live event and maybe include a view of the exhibition in your presentation on the internet?

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

8 minutes ago, William Overington said:

@Ash

For example, is it a presentation in a studio or is there an actual gathering of staff and some invited guests as well?

For example, are you going to get some A4 frames from Tesco and ask beta testers to post electronically A4 PDFs produced using Affinity Publisher by next Wednesday and then you could select some or all of what you get by next Friday and have some of your staff print them out and frame them and then have an exhibition at the Affinity Live event and maybe include a view of the exhibition in your presentation on the internet?

William

I dare to say that it will be like this one, a previous edition of the event:

Best regards!

18 hours ago, William Overington said:

@Ash

William

@Ash

Just in case you do decide to have the exhibition here are three PDFs, each A4 in size, that I have produced using Affinity Publisher. All are published on the web as well.

They were testing different things.

Please note how for the poem one can copy out the text and paste into another application, such as WordPad, and get the underlying plain text of the poem, notwithstanding that the display from the PDF document has ligature glyphs. That is a great facility in Affinity Publisher.

I produced the picture using Affinity Publisher.

Of course, if you do have the exhibition I accept that my three submissions for consideration may not get through to the final selection, but hopefully some other beta testers would each also send in one or more A4 size PDF documents, portrait format or landscape format.

William

white.pdf

lady_1.pdf

lady_2.pdf

Will not be purchasing anything else from this company!  Their support is non-existent.  Purchased Affinity Designer and Photo when they were first released.  Since then there have been numerous requests to incorporate the facility to open and save dxf/ dwg files in Designer.  all requests have been ignored!!  This is a feature that is required by a lot of designers.  The first request for this was August 2014!! still being requested now but the requests are never answered.  So beware when purchasing.

Here is the forum with the requests:

Hi,

Lookig forward to the official release of Publisher - just a query on discounts - as a beta user I've been offered an additional discount, but will this work for Mac? I purchased Photo and Designer via the App Store, so will the discount still apply?

Just curious as to how this will work if I click the pre-order option for the Mac version.

Thanks

18 minutes ago, monzo said:

Looking forward to the official release of Publisher - just a query on discounts - as a beta user I've been offered an additional discount, but will this work for Mac? I purchased Photo and Designer via the App Store, so will the discount still apply?

Just curious as to how this will work if I click the pre-order option for the Mac version.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

@monzo

Before launch its not available to pre-order from the Mac App Store (or Microsoft Store) sorry, but is available right now from the Affinity Store.

When we launch Affinity Publisher on the 19th June, the current public "20% sale on everything" will be extended for a bit to include Affinity Publisher from all stores. So you can either choose to stick with the Mac App Store (buy after launch) or (as a beta tester) benefit from a slightly better offer by getting the 30% Affinity Store pre-order. Non beta testers are currently offered the pre-order at a 20% discount.

Hope that is clear.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

@monzo

Before launch its not available to pre-order from the Mac App Store (or Microsoft Store) sorry.

When we launch Affinity Publisher on the 19th June, the current public "20% sale on everything" will be extended for a bit to include Affinity Publisher from all stores. So you can either choose to stick with the Mac App Store (buy after launch) or (as a beta tester) benefit from a slightly better offer by getting the 30% Affinity Store pre-order. Non beta testers are currently offered the pre-order at a 20% discount.

Hope that is clear.

Ah ok thanks - is it possible to purchase/download the Mac version from the Affinity store and bypass the App Store? Sorry for the newbie question - I bought Windows versions of Photo and Designer via your store, but I bought the Mac versions via their App Store. Didn't realise I could buy Mac versions direct - if so I'll buy it via your store and get the extra beta discount.

24 minutes ago, monzo said:

Didn't realise I could buy Mac versions direct

Until late last year you could only buy the Mac versions through the MAS.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

37 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Until late last year you could only buy the Mac versions through the MAS.

Ah ok thanks, so I can grab the Mac version from the Affinity store? To be honest I'd prefer using that to the App Store anyway.