You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'd like to share a labor with you all.  I welcome your thoughts and critiques (and tips for next time too), my friends are either non-photographers or are too nice to tell me what they think.

My unit has 24-hour operations so it's near impossible to get everybody together at once.  Instead of waiting for a down-day, we just took photos at different times on different days and would splice them together.  We had the option of doing sun-sync and trying to catch the shadows at the same angle each time, or just "storm the beaches of danger" and take the photos at wildly different times (my idea, to my regret at times during this project).  My intent was to get a sunset, early morning, and mid-day shot for maximum contrast, but instead I only got about a 5-hour spread represented.

Taken with a budget D3400 using kit 15-55mm lens and a borrowed D810 using 35mm prime.  Sky replacement was done by the plug-in "Uplift - Epic Skies".  I had to warp the photos (the left side crazily so) to get them to line up.  Masks and adjustment layers on each.  The folks and the hangar behind them were also taken separately from different photographs (one with the hangar roof visible and one with just their bodies/faces for clarity (except the right panel, I couldn't zoom in since I was using the prime lens that day), so five photographs (not counting the skies).

I also had to clone the sides and ground because I didn't have enough coverage for an 8x10.

Biggest errors I see are (1) it's not centered--that's my bad, I was focusing on the doors when I took the photographs and didn't realize the doors aren't centered on the roof (agh!); (2) the formation isn't straight (I'm thinking I could have done a last perspective shift after the entire thing was composed to level out roof horizontally and the formation horizontally at the same time); (3) many of the door windows don't line up; (4) the roof is masking-clipped, especially on the left (all that warping did a number and I wasn't careful on the cleanup).

All told, 11 hours of work (I'm very... very slow at doing this)... 2.5GB file size (still can't figure out why, I think all the adjustment layers and masks maybe?)

DSC_3325_forum.jpg

9 hours ago, BnBGobo99 said:

I'd like to share a labor with you all.  I welcome your thoughts and critiques (and tips for next time too), my friends are either non-photographers or are too nice to tell me what they think.

All told, 11 hours of work (I'm very... very slow at doing this)... 2.5GB file size (still can't figure out why, I think all the adjustment layers and masks maybe?)

DSC_3325_forum.jpg

I don't care if the entire thing is wiggling!  Thank you everybody in the picture for your dedicated service to the USA!!  

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

A few quick edits just for fun and inspiration. It is a tough one with three pictures so different - especially the sky area. You probably have to replace the three pieces of sky with one. If you do that people wont notice the three sections as much.

first.thumb.jpg.ef6e9d1ae62157fd7d3b5ffa499d1135.jpg

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Or you can crop and focus more on the people.

second.thumb.jpg.88e0a351155745b90b22d0d15a472e7c.jpg

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Thank you everybody for the comments.  @jmwellborn, it's our honor to serve you, honestly.

@Jowday, thanks for taking a crack at it--I saw the leveling of the formation, looks good :)  I like the lightening of the paneling inside the open bay doors, it enhances the contrast for that photo from the other two.

My first attempt (y'all are seeing attempt #3) was cropped like your second post.  I had just the center group, but when I added the side formations at later days' shots I had to include the entire hangar to make it fit the 8x10.  Interestingly enough, this was used as a gift for our outgoing Chief, and included in the frame was the original blueprint for the hangar from 1930's, so having the blueprint on the bottom of the frame and the whole hangar as a photo on the top turned out to be aesthetically pleasing and fit well.

For history buffs, our hangar was burned out during the Dec 7 Pearl Harbor attack, with several other hangars behind ours hit worse or just as bad.  Below is a photo of Hangar 11 or 15 which is a few rows behind ours.
(visit source for much larger view: 
https://vintagetopia.co/2018/08/09/19-interesting-facts-about-the-attack-on-pearl-harbor/)

17Pearl-Harbor-sm.jpg

• 1 month later...

@BnBGobo99 Hangar 6. You have seen it already I guess - how about the video below:

1920px-PLanes_burning-Ford_Island-Pearl_

• 2 weeks later...

@Jowday Sorry it took so long for me to reply, thanks for the post!  I lived on 12th street and then 20th street--it's interesting to see photos and film of the area from that time of the base.  Those small trees planted about the base then are now giants.  There's my hangar in the video!  Looks pretty untouched, hmm, we've been misled I think, lol.