You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi there

I'm using Affinity Photo on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012), macOS Mojave Version 10.14.4.
Since I updated Affinity Photo to version 1.7 it's barely unusable. It's very slow. After each action I have to wait a few seconds until I can continue my work. Saving a  document (app. 150MB) takes several minutes (previously it took a few seconds at most).
What can I do?

• Staff

Hi Shootyz,

Welcome to the forums :)

Please could you go to Affinity Photo > Preference > Performance and try changing the display drop down to one of the other options to see if this improves performance?

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi Callum

Thanks for your fast reply! This is an awesome customer support! :-D

I followed your instructions and it helped a little - but I still wasn't lucky at all. After that I re-installed Affinity Photo. Now everything works as smooth as before. Seems like my old buddy had some issues with the updater... ;-)

Thanks again, mate!

I just bought photo today. On trial (older version) was smooth but at fresh instal is lagging horrible with some brushes at start and with other after little while. I check on my laptop where I usually work and on stationary pc with high spec but is same. More lagg will occur when using pen pressure. I try change ever setting nothing worked  :( 

• Staff

Hi Kione, 

If you go into Preferences then Performance and change the retina rendering drop down to low quality to see if this helps?

Thanks

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Sadly no. Some brushes work when drawing slowly but if I do more faster moves I need wait. More complex brushes are not usable. And it will be nice if I give program to use more ram it will use them. Usually it use 50% no meter how much I give him. Dk what do do beside using only basic brushes. Maybe it will work with photo editing not with digital drawing/painting

Dear Friends - support !

i am also experiencing and fighting with performance issues after auto-update to version Photo 1.7

My config is iMac 27" Retina 5K with AMD Radeon R9 M395 2GB on macOS Mojave 10.14.5.

The performance issue drops the app to absolutely useless (selecting part of 300kb file or saving takes maybe a minute...). The Mac has metal support which is automatically selected (and not changeable) in the app. I used the same config (same computer, same OS, same Affinity settings) on previous version with some known metal bugs. Now they should be regarding to changelogs corrected, which is phenomenal and great for us - mac users, but sadly some trouble happens.

If you have maybe some additional informations, what can i do to continue on my work, please leave a comment.

Thank you

Greetings

Ronnie

Same here. Terrible performance issue on large documents, that I didn't have on 1.6.x. (OSX Mojave, MBPro 2015. Integrated GPU + Metal activated). Moving a group of layers can cause freezes for seconds. Saving a 190Mb document can take up to 10 minutes. 

I can't currently use it for production. Unfortunately I have to revert to 1.6.x

• 1 month later...

Hey,

I'm experiencing the same problem.

I'm working on a laptop with i5 8300, SSD NVME, 8bg ddr4 and a gtx 1050. Soft version 1.7.1.404 and it takes minutes to save the file. btw I did not install  any PS pluggins or any  extra brushes. Just the bare soft.

I changed things in preferences - performance to:

RENDER: WARP

Retina rendering: LOW QUALITY

Still, it didn't help me. I've even tried with changing to RENDERING : GTX 1050 and it didn't help either....

Seriously help!

Edited by Mark G.

• 3 weeks later...