You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selective color adjustment live filter on 1.7 different than on 1.6

3 hours ago, fde101 said:

One possible work-around in the meantime would be to flatten the layers to bake in the existing adjustment, then add a new one.

Yeah, but this isn't really an option for me. It's important that the original images are not "destroyed". And I have to many of these images to adjust them all manually.

It would be really nice, to get feed some feedback from Affinity, if they plan to fix this "bug" in a future version... or if this will stay broken by design?

21 minutes ago, Hanterdro said:

Yeah, but this isn't really an option for me. It's important that the original images are not "destroyed". And I have to many of these images to adjust them all manually.

You could always keep the existing adjustment layer as-is and layer another one on top of it.

36 minutes ago, fde101 said:

You could always keep the existing adjustment layer as-is and layer another one on top of it.

Yes, I now. I could also just adjust all the filters manuelly by hand, so that they are very similar to my previous one.

But this is not an option for me. I expect backwards compatibily. And if Affinity doesn't deliver this, then Affinity is no longer a Photo Shop alternative for me.

Again the question to the Affinity Team,

will this behavior in a future update fixed? Or is it intended, that the colors are off again as soon as you adjust the color selection filter from a pre 1.7 file?

I think backwards compapility is very important, if you want to compete with Adobe...

• Staff

Hi Hanterdro,
I've checked your file and as far as I know this working as intended in 1.7.1. When you open a file created in 1.6 the old algorithm is invoked - which is labelled Legacy Selective Colour Adjustment in the Layers panel - and the image should render exactly like it was in the previous v1.6, however the moment you adjust (nudge or click) the sliders it gets converted/updated to the new one. The slider values are kept but the image colours do change (due to the new algorithm) - which is not really desirable if you need to re-adjust old files. 

The intend of the legacy adjustment is mostly to preserve the look/fidelity of the old files - it's really not meant to be edited unless you don't mind re-adjusting the sliders to get the correct/original colours again with the new algorithm. These cases however should be (hopefully) rare and shouldn't cause too much trouble to re-adjust.

I'm not sure we can improve this behaviour but I'm passing it to the dev team for comments and will get back to you as soon as I have some more info. Thanks.

Thank you for the response.

Well, If you can’t convert the values from the old system to new system, why not just let old filters be old filters and add an info into the slider dialog that the old algoryhtm is used?

If we want to use the new filter, we would have to delete the old filter by hand and add a new filter.

Then you don’t have to convert the values and we still have backwards compatibility.

I think backwards compatibility is very important. How can I trust a software, where I’m afraid of that I can’t edit old files probably, just because of update?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi Hanterdro,
Sorry the delay getting back to you. According to the dev team there's no plans to add "backward compatibility" to the Selective Colour Adjustment because the changes made were intended to fix the algorithm which wasn't working as intended. We do keep/preserve the look/appearance of the old files (through the Legacy Selective Colour Adjustment) but there's no way to edit them using the old algorithm anymore since its output wasn't the intended/correct.

The Shadows & Highlights filter on the other side was technically correct but there was still room for improvements so we added legacy support for those who preferred the old algorithm along with the new default/improved version.

4 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Hanterdro,
Sorry the delay getting back to you. According to the dev team there's no plans to add "backward compatibility" to the Selective Colour Adjustment because the changes made were intended to fix the algorithm which wasn't working as intended. We do keep/preserve the look/appearance of the old files (through the Legacy Selective Colour Adjustment) but there's no way to edit them using the old algorithm anymore since its output wasn't the intended/correct.

The Shadows & Highlights filter on the other side was technically correct but there was still room for improvements so we added legacy support for those who preferred the old algorithm along with the new default/improved version.

Thank you for the clarification. But I think it's clear that I'm already pretty disappointed. I have a lot of files that build on each other with old algorythmus and if I have to update them and adapt them afterwards, it is almost impossible.

Can't you at least automatically convert the values of the old algrothm to matching values of the new one?