You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selective color adjustment live filter on 1.7 different than on 1.6

Hey, I have a lot project with selective color adjustment live filters. If I open such a file the picture looks now different than on 1.6.

Looks like that the filter’s are now differently interprated. Just want to say, that this is really a now go. I have to adjust now hundreds of affinity photo projects... 

Not really cool and very unprofessional.

*sigh* worst 1.7 is the worst update ever.

• selective color adjustment live filters broken
  • The free Google NIK Tools are broken (font loading issue)
  • Nik Tools 2 broken (HDR tool)

To bad I can’t go back to 1.6, because of App Store :(

17 minutes ago, Hanterdro said:

To bad I can’t go back to 1.6, because of App Store

If you happen to have a time machine backup you might be able to pull the old version back from that.

The plugin issues are due to the fact that Serif has updated to a newer version of Apple's development tools.  Something about the way the new tools builds applications is causing an incompatibility with plugins that do not meet certain requirements.  Best guess is that this will impact other host applications eventually as well, as their teams update to the newer tools.

Agree that the issue with the selective color adjustment never should have been allowed to happen.

• Staff

Hi Hanterdro

What you are seeing is not expected. The selective colour adjustment has been rewritten but adjustments created in previous versions should be preserved. They should be labelled as "Legacy Selective Colour Adjustment" in the layers panel. Do your adjustments have this label? Note that if you edit a legacy adjustment it will be updated to the new version and a toast will appear saying this has happened. This is all working as expected on my machine. Are there any other adjustments in your document that might be at fault?

Regards

Justin

@fde101

You saved my life, thank you.
I had a timemachine backup and did a downgrade, and everything is working again as it should!

@Justin

Yeah, there was that label, but it’s broken as soon as I open the file with 1.7. Maybe because I use always an opactiy map for these adjustments?

• Staff
1 hour ago, Hanterdro said:

*sigh* worst 1.7 is the worst update ever.

• The free Google NIK Tools are broken (font loading issue)
  • Nik Tools 2 broken (HDR tool)

We officially only support Analog Efex Pro 2 and Color Efex Pro 4. We will have to contact the plugin developers to see how they plan on handling the new ICC profile that we deliver and hopefully reach a solution.

• Staff
1 hour ago, Hanterdro said:

@Justin

Yeah, there was that label, but it’s broken as soon as I open the file with 1.7. Maybe because I use always an opactiy map for these adjustments?

Hi Hanterdro,
Was that file created in Affinity Photo 1.7 Beta originally? If you nudge the sliders (actually just click over one of them should suffice) does it fix the adjustment for you?

12 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Hanterdro,
Was that file created in Affinity Photo 1.7 Beta originally? If you nudge the sliders (actually just click over one of them should suffice) does it fix the adjustment for you?

Hey MEBm

I created all the broken files in 1.6.7. If I change the sliders in the filter I can try to get manually close to the original settings (which is of course no solution). But if I do that I get a banner (see attachment).

I sent an e-mail with an example aphoto file and a detailed description to affinity@serif.com

That's probably the easiest way to reproduce that issue.

I could reproduce this issue on two different Macs.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-06-06 um 17.19.26.png

Edited by Hanterdro

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

Have you tried disabling Metal acceleration in preferences?

Nice, disabling Metal fix the broken colors, when I open the file with 1.7 initially.

But as soon I edit the filter (even if I click on the same position), the colors are broken/offset in the same way.

I would expect that the filter sliders are converted in a way that they match their previous settings, if I want to adjust them.

9 minutes ago, Hanterdro said:

But as soon I edit the filter (even if I click on the same position), the colors are broken/offset in the same way.

Interesting.

They changed the algorithm being used, not just the way the values are being mapped, so trying to make the old values match the new algorithm might not be feasible.

Given that the old algorithm obviously needs to be there for this to work at all, I would argue they should simply continue using the old algorithm until we click an "update to new algorithm" button or recreate the adjustment layer or some such.

That's not what they did though, and as soon as you touch the slider it switches to the new algorithm, which I agree is not a particularly nice behavior.

From what you are describing it sounds like there is a metal bug that is causing the new algorithm to be used for acceleration even though the filter is supposedly using the "legacy" mode.  They probably need to put in a fix to prevent use of metal computation for these "legacy" adjustments.

@fde101

Yeah, what your are saying makes sense.

I recognized that in 1.6.7 my settings was OpenGL... but if I change in 1.6.7 display to Metal, it's still fine. So Metal seems only broken in 1.7.

Edited by Hanterdro

• 2 weeks later...

Please look also at my  input given here.  I have not received any response about this but it is a real problem for me. Selective color adjustment does not work win LAB color space Please see and give me some input sas to when this will be fixed.  Thanks a lot  here is my input: 

On 6/18/2019 at 8:17 AM, Hanterdro said:

As soon you move the slider, the colors are off again (e.g. click on the same position)

Again, the filter is switching to the new algorithm as soon as you try to change something, so the positions no longer match up.

This is how they described it as behaving, however, so it is not a bug, just a bad design.

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

Again, the filter is switching to the new algorithm as soon as you try to change something, so the positions no longer match up.

This is how they described it as behaving, however, so it is not a bug, just a bad design.

I honestly find that unacceptable.

It can't be that once an old file is only slightly modified, the colors are completely broken.

From the user's point of view this is a bug and should be fixed.

I will stay at 1.6.7 until this is fixed.

Is Adobe more reliable than Affinity when it comes to file/version compatibility? I've never tried Photo Shop, but if Affinity can't do it, I'm seriously thinking about making a long-term switch.

52 minutes ago, Hanterdro said:

It can't be that once an old file is only slightly modified, the colors are completely broken.

One possible work-around in the meantime would be to flatten the layers to bake in the existing adjustment, then add a new one.