You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Nik Collection bug with Affinity Photo 1.7.0

Nik Collection worked fine until Affinity Photo 1.7 update. I get a message that says updating fonts and it keeps on running even when nik collection is closed and I cannot do anything in affinity photo. Also have to force quit Affinity Photo. Please help. Thank you. I am on a 2017 iMac running High Sierra version 10.13.6. Older running DXO collection but I have heard it does the same thing on latest version of DXO.

19 minutes ago, j3rry said:

With the new Nik Collection 2, Affinity Photo 1.7 work fine.

Nik Collection 2 with Affinity Photo 1.7 works also fine for me, with the exception of the HDR EFEX PRO, which is totally broken (macOS). :(

With the old Nik Collection version from Google, I had also the font issue.

• Staff

It looks like quite a few users are experiencing an issue with plugins that would load in 1.6 but are failing in 1.7. Please see this reply from Mark who has stated that we will attempt to reach out to the plugin developers to see if we can reach a solution.

• Staff
6 hours ago, Kenny C said:

Hi j3rry..I heard it is happening with the new nik collection 2 also.  Would like conformation before I upgrade since I just bought nik collection.

Hi Kenny C,
Nik Collection 2 by DxO for Mac does work with Affinity Photo 1.7 except HDR Efex 2 which only displays the plugin window without loading/displaying the image. There's also a few colour issues/shofts in Viveza 2  in the preview window - zooming in should render the colours correctly. There may be other issues but I haven't tested the new version extensively yet.

Most plugins from the old Nik Collection from Google and from the Nik Collection 1 by DxO for Mac don't work with Affinity Photo 1.7. Only Dfine 2, Sharpener, Viveza 2 do work.

5 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Kenny C,
Nik Collection 2 by DxO for Mac does work with Affinity Photo 1.7 except HDR Efex 2 which only displays the plugin window without loading/displaying the image. There's also a few colour issues/shofts in Viveza 2  in the preview window - zooming in should render the colours correctly. There may be other issues but I haven't tested the new version extensively yet.

Most plugins from the old Nik Collection from Google and from the Nik Collection 1 by DxO for Mac don't work with Affinity Photo 1.7. Only Dfine 2, Sharpener, Viveza 2 do work.

The problem is that for any user of the original NIK collection you now have the choice of purchasing NIK V2 for 99€ as a result of this "free" upgrade or trying to find a way to rollback. The Serif guys should really have highlighted this before releasing the upgrade. I would really appreciate instructions on how to rollback, as I am operating on a budget.

16 minutes ago, francoIstoujours said:

I have exactly the same problem : Affinity 1.7 with Nik Collection 1.2 .15 . HDR Efex 2 does not work . 

What can be done ? I am on a trial version and will not buy this product if it does not work !

Sadly, you can’t do anything. Just hoping that DxO will fix this. Write them an ticket:
https://support.dxo.com/hc/

they will tell you, that they don’t support offical Affinity, but as more people do this,  so rather that will change.

On 6/6/2019 at 4:32 PM, MEB said:

Hi Kenny C,

So we just have to shell out cash to DxO to fix something that worked all right until yesterday????

... even the old NIK Collection ran and runs flawlessly with Affinity Photo 1.6.7. Also other plugins like e.g. Luminar Flex suddenly stop serving with the 1.7 release - and then only in the Mac version. A bit strange, right?

Ive updated everything I can to try and get the Nik collection working again including upgrading to 2.0 That was a waste of cash as its still gives you the updating fonts. Ive talked to DXO and got the standard its not supported line. As I use Affinity every day the only option is to roll back to 1.6.7 not happy.

• Staff

Hi thecrowe,
Welcome to Affinity Forums.
I'm sorry for the trouble you are going through. Seems a few other users are also reporting the loading fonts issue with Nik Collection 2 by DXO. Do you mind providing a few more details about your Mac specs? A screenshot of the Apple > About This Mac dialog would help immensely. Also didi you bought Affinity Photo from the Mac App Store or from the Affinity Store?

Do you mind running Viveza 2 as a plugin from Affinity Photo (this one should run without issues) and tell me which version it reports when you click the yellow Nik Collection logo on the top right of the plugin interface? Both the first and second number (this one between parenthesis immediately after). Thank you.

I'm getting issues with the Nik Collection plugins as well.  I have the version from Google and loading the plugins either prompts me to start a 15 day trial which I don't get when I use the same plug-ins from Photoshop or gives me a message about 'updating fonts' which means that I have to force quit Affinity Photo as I then can't select any function in the application.  The version of Viveza 2 that I am using is 2.1.21.10 x64 (v1.2.11).

• Staff

Hi Jamster,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Regarding the prompt to start a trial, go to menu Affinity Photo ▸ Preferences, Photoshop Plugins section, press the Authorise Global button on the bottom right then Authorise button again from the dialog that will open. This will get rid of the trial prompt.

Note however that the free Google version of the Nik Collection doesn't work with Affinity Photo 1.7 (the updating fonts issue you are experiencing), only with the previous Affinity Photo 1.6.7. To fix this you can either revert back to the previous version of Affinity Photo and continue using the free Google version or update the Nik Collection to the latest Nik Collection 2 by DxO which should work with Affinity Photo 1.7.

I suggest you download the Nik Collection 2 trial and check/test if it works with your system in case you are interested in upgrading. Don't buy the upgrade without testing the trial first since some users are also reporting the fonts updating issue with Nik Collection 2. I believe this is due to a faulty Nik Collection upgrade/installation but we are still investigating this.

Another "vote" for Affinity Photo v.1.7.0 breaking the old Nik Collection (system:  MacOS El Capitan, 10.11.6).  I reinstalled Affinity Photo 1.6.11 using the "replace" option in MacOS.  Although the right side of the Affinity Photo window seems to have some "left over" from v.1.7.0. 

The old Nik Collection is now functional again. 

On a side note, based on my few experiments with v.1.7.0, it seemed slower than v.1.6.11.  Image adjustments (including Nik) and exporting were/are faster in v.1.6.11 than I encountered with v.1.7.0.  The Nik situation aside, it seems strange that Serif would issue an update/upgrade that is slower than the previous version. 

And for those considering Nik Collection 2, here is some info on DxO's "philosophy".  I am also a user of DxO PhotoLab (previously just DxO) as part of my Raw processing.  I have been receiving emails from DxO about Nik Collection 2 and their "special" offer of only $100 for this new version.  The offer includes the ESSENTIAL ("Lite") version of PhotoLab; I have the ELITE version.  As far as DxO is concerned, it does not matter - you get no discount even if you have another DxO product. 

So I plan to be satisfied with Affinity Photo v.1.6.11 and the old Nik Collection.  Between DxO and Serif, I see no need to go any farther.

• 3 months later...