You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Great 1.7 update still missing important things

Hi there. First of all a huge thank you to the great Affinity team with this 1.7 release is another amazing huge step for professional people like me that decide do work just on mobility on iPad.

I read that the bug of not displaying the bleed on an exported PDF is already taking into consideration. I have few suggestion for the team.

As a packaging designer I’m missing the spot and overprint option for colours. Would be great if we can like the desktop version select the option when we create a colour.

Another great suggestion would be the option to search for colour instead of scrolling through the long Pantone list for example.

3 simple extra feature that would make the app on iPad complete or at least closer to the desktop. Well also these are really important feature for productivity.

Hope anyone will reply and share the same needs.

if I have to pay a full desktop price to get the same complete complete experience I would ... as a pro it’s important for me to be able to work in the same way you can do on a desktop but on my iPad!

Marco

+1 I agree with this one. The Color Studio could be a bit different. Hex Color is still missing in action. Also copy and pasting values would be great.

| https://www.instagram.com/lutz.heidbrink https://500px.com/lutzheidbrink | https://www.eyeem.com/u/pixelcoder | https://society6.com/pixelcoder 
iPad Pro 10.5 - iOS 11.4.1 - Affinity Photo 1.6.7 - Affinity Designer 1.6.0.35 :11_blush:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes. Even if I'm really pleased to have such a powerful app on an iPad that is going to change a lot for a graphic designer ... still disappointed that these few really important elements aren't implemented yet in the iOS app. So hopefully in the near (really near) future, we will get them.

I’m pleased to see that we have hexadecimal colour input now, but we still need the ability to search for colours, and we also need spot and overprint options.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:14 PM, fde101 said:

Global color swatches appear to be missing too.

+1 on the ability to create, use and modify global colours.

I've recently got a hold of an iPad and discovered this issue. Kind of a show stopper since I use them extensively... I also noticed you can't use swatches, even the normal kind, in layer effects such as Colour Overlay...

I honestly think the swatches panel needs a big overhaul, both desktop and iPad. I mean just have a look at the how the Swatches panel works on Illustrator and copy it, then sprinkle a bit of InDesign features into it and you have a perfect panel. No need to reinvent the wheel.

I'm always puzzled on how these things happen, Adobe's swatches panels are widely known, there's no way the team didn't know them. It's almost like they decide on a meeting that "we know these panels works great, so instead let's make something similar, but that works worse!" o.O

• 4 months later...
On 7/19/2019 at 11:46 AM, LCamachoDesign said:

I've recently got a hold of an iPad and discovered this issue. Kind of a show stopper since I use them extensively... I also noticed you can't use swatches, even the normal kind, in layer effects such as Colour Overlay...

I honestly think the swatches panel needs a big overhaul, both desktop and iPad. I mean just have a look at the how the Swatches panel works on Illustrator and copy it, then sprinkle a bit of InDesign features into it and you have a perfect panel. No need to reinvent the wheel.

I'm always puzzled on how these things happen, Adobe's swatches panels are widely known, there's no way the team didn't know them. It's almost like they decide on a meeting that "we know these panels works great, so instead let's make something similar, but that works worse!" o.O

I purchased Affinity Designer to replace Illustrator but I noticed that the overprinting management, in my opinion, is better than AI, because it allows to overprint fillets and fillings in a more refined way also inside the process colors.

(see attached jpg).

Furthermore, the "color selection preview" control tab would be very useful for checking the selection and plates before exporting the pdfs for printing.

Because of these shortcomings I have not yet replaced the use of AI with AD and I hope that these functions can be inserted in the next software updates so as to allow me to permanently switch to Affinity Designer permanently.

Thanks for your attention. Greetings from Lucio

Tab_AI.jpg

On 7/19/2019 at 10:46 AM, LCamachoDesign said:

Totally agree. For me that i used mainly on iPad is really important that the swatch panel change. Just a few changes will make more effective.

A search field for example when navigating in the swatches panel like pantone for example. Otherwise you have to scroll through all the colours.

I love Affinity app and I'm happy were things are going. I think the only suggestion I can give is to keep up with the speed of update. The app world is change and people will change so quickly if they don't get what they looking for and it would be a disaster in my opinion if we will love Affinity apps during the journey. They add competition in the market but the market is also so unstable in the recent here. 

Anyway. I'm always on Affinity side just because the gave me a chance to choose and to choose something that makes me productive.

But of course i fell there are still a lot of things to improve to the iPad. At least to give us the same features of the desktop.

M

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. It’s me again about what is missing in designer. I came across few posts on the forum and myself as well while working on a personal project. Text and Paragraph styles. This is making me realise even more that iPad and Desktop are still a bit to different. So I hope to see them in a near future update (even if I can see we are in too quite time recently). 

It’s really a pity because I keep stressing about the chance that we have here for the younger (but also older like me that feel the need to update themselves on the modern times) that are mobile people, ready to work just on iPad. Or at least give me chance to choose between Mac and iPad. Than will be down to me to choose a better multitasking situation (Mac) or a easier, lighter experience (iPad) but at the end with the same 100% identical app (apart from the UI).

I really hope we can see this gap getting close and close in the short (really short) time.

• 2 years later...

Pantone searching by number is something that is reaaaaaaally missing indeed. This makes my work take so much longer on iPad. Also there is no way to make a global color swatch for the document based on a Pantone color. (This is possible on the Mac also). These 2 simple things would make this app much better! I am using it as my primary work app already. 

thanks!

Imagem PNG.png

Pantone.png