You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AF Photo 1.7 update is very slow Rolled back to 1.6.7

System: Late 2012 Mac Mini Core 1-5.

16Gig memory, 1TB SSD.  Installed update through app store update.  

Beta wasn't as fast as 1,6, but the rollout today was so slow I'd almost call it glitchy.  Option key + Layer click *sometimes* solo-previewed layer in old 1.6 .afphoto docs, but as I clicked around, the slower things got until I was seeing white checkerboard screen and it never would refresh to show 'solo' layer.  I tried messing for about 2 hours then rolled back to 1.6 with time machine snapshot. It thinks it's a new install now - my user data got trashed, I guess - but as snappy as 1.6 was before.  

I'll wait a few weeks and try again Maybe with a complete reinstall of 1.7 as opposed to an update.  

I know my system is getting up there in age. Is this symptoms of that?   Graphics is Intel 4000 HD.  Again, on 1.6 and Beta 1.7, no real slowness outside of ever once in a while a pixelated zoom thing might happen, then it would catch back up. 

Thanks, any advice will help.  I really, really love Affinity Photo . 

Chris Carpenter 

Charlotte, NC USA

The website lists the following technical specifications for APh ...

Mac

Hardware:

•      Mac Pro, iMac, iMac Pro, MacBook, MacBook Pro, Macbook Air, Mac Mini
  •      Intel 64-bit Core 2 Duo or better (from 2007)
  •      2 GB RAM minimum
  •      1.34 GB of available hard disk space; additional space is required during installation
  •      Display size of 1280 x 768 or higher
  •      Supports normal, retina and DCI P3 displays with enhanced gamut

Operating system:

•      10.9 Mavericks
  •      10:10 Yosemite
  •      10.11 El Capitan
  •      10.12 Sierra
  •      10.13 High Sierra
  •      10:14 Mojave

... which starts there with OS X 10.9 Mavericks.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

The website lists the following technical specifications for APh ...

... which starts there with OS X 10.9 Mavericks.

This would be unfortunate but acceptable if the App Store didn't list 10.7 as the minimum, and didn't overwrite my previously functional version of Photo.

Best I can tell I’m okay with min system requirements.  I’m on macOS Mojave. The lag may just be a side effects of my setup.  I don’t have time now to dig in. I will hold of on. Updating again for awhile.  And to any roll backers:    Duplicate any af document before u save in 1,7.  1.6 won’t open I.7 overwritten or re-saved documents 

1 hour ago, StevenR said:

This would be unfortunate but acceptable if the App Store didn't list 10.7 as the minimum, and didn't overwrite my previously functional version of Photo.

The MAS may there still list (possibly older) APh 1.7.6 requirements with OS X 10.7. - However someone from the Affinity dev team should be able to tell you better if the updated APh 1.7 version is still OS X 10.7 compatible or not.

Related to a version fallback, I recall that there was at least for iOS store apps a way to install instead an older version, so there may be some way on the MAS here too.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2