You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm using Photo version 1.7, Desinger 1.7 for Mac. I had a question when looking at the GPU settings for these settings (performance).

My graphic card is AMD Radeon RX580.

On setting panel.
Display: Metal
Hardware Acceleration: Enable (RX580)

This display state differs between Photo and Designer.
Display is grayed out in Photo. Metal is displayed. Of course I can't choose. However, in the case of Designer, I can select Display and change to software or OpenCL. Which behavior is correct?

---

Photo, Designer 1.7, macOS 10.14.5

• Staff

Hi Pigny,

In Photo do you have the box shown in my attached screenshot ticked? Which of the two apps has the best performance would you say?

Thanks

Callum

Screenshot 2019-06-07 at 10.51.19.png

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

33 minutes ago, Callum said:

Which of the two apps has the best performance would you say?

Are you asking me if I measured the benchmark? I do not know physically.
Excuse me, I'm not asking for performance, I want to know if it is normal or abnormal that I can not select the Display setting on Photo. Photo is grayed out with Metal displayed. Designer can change the selection.

• Staff
1 minute ago, Pigny said:

Are you asking me if I measured the benchmark? I do not know physically.
Excuse me, I'm not asking for performance, I want to know if it is normal or abnormal that I can not select the Display setting on Photo. Photo is grayed out with Metal displayed. Designer can change the selection.

You asked which behaviour is correct but there is no right answer whichever settings give you the best performance are the correct ones. Please take a look at the first part of my last post and if that box is ticked try unticking it and then see if you can access the display drop down.

I have the same question. I have  a 2013 Mac Pro running High Sierra 10.12.6 with dual AMD FirePro D500 graphics cards. The option to tick the box "Hardware Acceleration: Enable Metal compute acceleration" is greyed out and cannot be checked. Your help document states:

"Hardware Acceleration—checking Enable Metal compute acceleration enables hardware acceleration on supported GPU devices (integrated Intel and any discrete graphics card, plus any external eGPUs connected via Thunderbolt 3 ports)."

967033340_ScreenShot2019-06-09at10_52_11AM.png.63205fee658f87cfbfd7588dd5064d1b.png

On 6/7/2019 at 7:36 PM, Callum said:

You asked which behaviour is correct but there is no right answer whichever settings give you the best performance are the correct ones.

Excuse me, I'm asking about the behavior of the "setting itself". It can't be selected(Metal grayed out) in Affinity Photo, and can be selected and changed in Designer. Is this the behavior that Affinity aimed at?

• Staff
8 hours ago, Pigny said:

Excuse me, I'm asking about the behavior of the "setting itself". It can't be selected(Metal grayed out) in Affinity Photo, and can be selected and changed in Designer. Is this the behavior that Affinity aimed at?

Please could you provide a screenshot of the performance tab in both apps? As the tickbox at the bottom should only be greyed out if your GPU is incompatible with Metal compute. Are you saying it is greyed out in one and not the other?