You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Node Editing Precision in 1.7.0

There is a noticeable increase in precision with Apple Pencil input. This is fantastic for the pen and brush tools.... But for the node tool it’s  too precise. It’s difficult to select points and handles and much of the time I miss the handles completely, the node tool used to have a more forgiving of a grab radius for points and handles. Anyone else notice this? Could pencil precision be a user adjustable setting? 

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery

I’ve been drawing for over an hour now and I’ve never had so many missed node/handle selections in a single session. I currently have to draw around half my speed to be able to be precise enough to hit the tiny targets... I often miss a node by a pixel or two and end up dragging a segment instead...  Node editing is noticeably more difficult in 1.7...

Sorry for multi-posting on my own thread, but i was mulling this over last night and thought of a novel approach to solving this issue.  Illustrator has a selectable point/handle size adjustment made for pen/touch screen input for wacom users. This approach would likely solve the precision issue, given the main issue is that the target nodes and handles are very small for pen point input. Thoughts? 

handles.jpg

15 hours ago, TonyO said:

and thought of a novel approach to solving this issue.  Illustrator has a selectable point/handle size adjustment made for pen/touch screen input for wacom users. This approach would likely solve the precision issue, given the main issue is that the target nodes and handles are very small for pen point input. Thoughts? 

I'm loving the increased accuracy in 1.7 but would be happy to see the symbols used on nodes/handles just a tad larger if it helped pinpoint selection.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

I hadn't even realized that the desktop version of AD was already able to adjust handle size (and nodes) in preferences.

If the 2 apps use the same codebase, hopefully that means it's not too much of an effort to carry over to the ipad platform. These big points and handles would be a lifesaver!

Proof 6.jpg

• Staff

Node hit precision should be improved in 1.7.1.  Coming (quite) soon.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 2 weeks later...

You guys are masterful! Node grab feels perfect again! A bit more precise than before but still forgiving enough to work quickly! Incredible! Thanks for actually listening to your loyal fans (unlike a certain giant faceless creative company that comes to mind...) keep up the amazing work!