You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 1.7.0 looks slower to load image

Hi to all!

Finally I've just downloaded the 1.7 version and it looks fantastic, moreover with some very annoying bugs finally fixed!

But there's another problem: I'm working on an artwork in psd file format that with the previous Affinity Photo was loaded quickly and every pan and zoom on it was quick and smooth. Now with 1.7 the same file opens correctly bu when I pan and zoom it's very slower to load at the right resolution (just after the move operation the image became very pixelated and after a few seconds it is restored at the proper resolution.

It seems almost that the iPad RAM is full or slower...

I've tried also to export the same file in Affinity Photo format, but the behavior is exactly the same...

Should have I to uninstall the app and to reinstall? Should I lost all my imported brushes and fonts in this way?

Or could I back to the previous app version in some way?

I'm using an iPad Pro 12,9" 2018 1TB.

How is this possible? How can I fix this? I can't work in this condition...

Thanks to everyone that will can help me!

Have you tried a soft reset on iPad. Hold power and home button down for a few seconds till you see the Apple symbol. This will release all ram held by apps. Also there was a recent iOS update. What version are you on?

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Maybe combination of iPad model and ap2? No issues on my 10.5 model.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• Staff

Hi All,

If possible could you each upload a file you are working with that gives you poor performance to the link below? This will allow me to look into this further and hopefully recreate this behaviour.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/nWoWeRCvmCFDBu53P8sA

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

A blank new document will create the issues if one sets the dimensions to say 16000 x 8000 pixels (I'm assuming this is not the minimum dimensions to experience lag problems)

On a new document there is considerable lag to simple pencil drawings.

On the previous versions of photo, there was no lag nor problems whatsoever with this size of document.

1 hour ago, frankthechicken said:

A blank new document will create the issues if one sets the dimensions to say 16000 x 8000 pixels (I'm assuming this is not the minimum dimensions to experience lag problems)

On a new document there is considerable lag to simple pencil drawings.

On the previous versions of photo, there was no lag nor problems whatsoever with this size of document.

I quote. At the beginning I thought it was a problem of the big file, but I've tried a blank new one and the problem is still there.

5 hours ago, Callum said:

Hi All,

If possible could you each upload a file you are working with that gives you poor performance to the link below? This will allow me to look into this further and hopefully recreate this behaviour.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/nWoWeRCvmCFDBu53P8sA

Thanks

Callum

I've been trying to export the 100 or so working files I currently have in Affinity photo out of the damn thing in order to attempt a software reinstall since v1.7 has become downright unusable due to lags and delays in adjustments, especially cloning and inpainting. I managed to export a dozen or so this morning and then all of a sudden it stopped -- spinning wheel hung on "generating export" for more than ten minutes until I finally quit. Tried flattening a layered file before export thinking this might be the problem but it took nearly six minutes just to perform the flatten operation. 

I'm on a 2nd gen 12.9" iPad Pro 512GB. Rebooting the iPad doesn't have any effect.

In the past week I've gotten several of my pro photographer colleagues to buy Affinity Photo. I feel badly about that now. 

All of this was smooth as butter two days ago on v1.6 before the update. I deeply regret updating, and am now stuck in the middle of a project that can't be finished and it seems like I can't even reliably rescue my files out of Affinity to go back to Photoshop. 

How am I to upload a file to your dropbox link if I can't get a file to export in the first place? Did you want a certain file format, supposing I can reliably get an export to occur? 

• Staff
1 minute ago, msgphoto said:

I've been trying to export the 100 or so working files I currently have in Affinity photo out of the damn thing in order to attempt a software reinstall since v1.7 has become downright unusable due to lags and delays in adjustments, especially cloning and inpainting. I managed to export a dozen or so this morning and then all of a sudden it stopped -- spinning wheel hung on "generating export" for more than ten minutes until I finally quit. Tried flattening a layered file before export thinking this might be the problem but it took nearly six minutes just to perform the flatten operation. 

I'm on a 2nd gen 12.9" iPad Pro 512GB. Rebooting the iPad doesn't have any effect.

In the past week I've gotten several of my pro photographer colleagues to buy Affinity Photo. I feel badly about that now. 

All of this was smooth as butter two days ago on v1.6 before the update. I deeply regret updating, and am now stuck in the middle of a project that can't be finished and it seems like I can't even reliably rescue my files out of Affinity to go back to Photoshop. 

How am I to upload a file to your dropbox link if I can't get a file to export in the first place? Did you want a certain file format, supposing I can reliably get an export to occur? 

If you save the file as an Affinity project file and send me that ,that would be best :)

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

If its anything like my files, saving/exporting anything within the editor mode would be next to impossible.  

Within the initial start screen/file chooser, it is fine.

It is utterly unusable at the moment, and I am seething as I have countless hours invested into various projects that I cannot access at the moment.

As I stated before, simply drawing on a document using the pencil on a new/blank sufficiently large document, say 16000 x 8000 will induce lag that is unacceptable.

I use an iPad Pro 2018 1TB edition

Edited by frankthechicken

I've been having the same problem with the mac version which seemed to work great up until beta 1.7.8 then it started to take around 10 mins to open a children's book I was working on that took far less time to open in the previous beta 1.7.7, I was also having the same slow down as you describe with the pixelating and jerky scrolling when the previous beta and 1.6.1 worked quick and smooth I'm now using the retail mac version 1.7.0 and it is still very slow and jerky for the same file - I can't imagine it's a ram issue as I have 48gb most of which is assigned to designer

I originally reported it as a bug on the 6th of May see original post below - I posted a couple of vids showing how slow 1.7.8 was and one showing how much faster 1.6 was in comparison - after just watching the 1.7.8 vid, I think the speed as improved a bit with official release but nowhere near the speed of 1.6

just hope theres a fix in sight as I'd really like to get closer to the speed of 1.6

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Today I've updated Affinity Photo for iPad to the 1.7.1 crossing fingers that the slowing resolution refresh and stroke delays would be fixed but... unfortunately they're still there! :-((((

I can't figure out how an app that worked almost perfectly in the 1.6 version, it's now so corrupted to become unusable.

Please, if it's impossible to fix these issues, is there any way to back to the 1.6 version? It has the erase bug (that works also with finger touch even if settled only for pen), but at least I can use Affinity Photo to work again.

So disappointed...

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/12/2019 at 9:24 AM, PaulOr said:

Anyone have anything else to add to this problem?

Why not try the 1.7.2. Beta. It has resolved most reported issues and is undergoing user testing before being released. Try it and see if your issues are resolved. If they are not, then the next release will for you, be no better. Have a say now. :)

2 hours ago, DM1 said:

Why not try the 1.7.2. Beta. It has resolved most reported issues and is undergoing user testing before being released. Try it and see if your issues are resolved. If they are not, then the next release will for you, be no better. Have a say now. :)

Very true. Everyone just work together, app  development is challenging however affinity photo is far better than the competition so if everyone works together the developer team can work out these bugs 

7 hours ago, DM1 said:

Is there a way to do that on my iPad Pro? I have the desktop version also, but 99% of my editing is done on the iPad. It’s been nearly unusable since 1.7 was released.