You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I purchased Affinity through the Windows Store and it's been working fine. The version I have is 1.6.5.123. I received an email about an update to 1.7, so I went to this forum and downloaded it. (The instructions said I didn't have to uninstall the earlier one.)

It didn't work, at all. My original version is still there and works. But I now have an additional newer version 1.7+ and it prompts me for a Key, or to try the free trial. What gives???

• Staff

The update from our website is designed to update the versions of affinity bought from our Affinity store, as you purchased through the Microsoft Store you will need to login to your Microsoft Store account and under the Downloads and Updates your 1.7 update will be shown

On 6/5/2019 at 6:44 PM, RXT-1956 said:

I received an email about an update to 1.7, so I went to this forum and downloaded it. (The instructions said I didn't have to uninstall the earlier one.)

If you received the same email that I did, it just says that if you already own Designer or Photo that as usual "you can download the update right now for free." It does not mention anything at all about where to download the updates from -- "as usual" is the only clue in the email about that.

That should be enough for users who have previously installed Affinity retail product updates -- they should know that the updates come from whichever of the 3 stores (Affinity, Microsoft, or Apple) they bought the app from -- but for those who have not, "as usual" is of no help at all.

It is a bit late to do anything about that now, but with perfect 20-20 hindsight, it is now obvious that it would have been better if the email either explained that the update method depended on which store the app was purchased from or at least included a link to a web page that explained what the staff have had to explain over & over in a bunch of topics about why various users are having problems updating the apps.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7