You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

In Designer is it possible to crop a pixel object?

One of my frequent tasks is creating user interface mockups. It is very common for me to start with a bitmap image, and use a few pieces to make something else. 

For example say I grab the Edit controls above this post, and paste into Designer:

image.thumb.png.ffbcf0cf13f4b5c26b72a325925b7e49.png

Now I want to grab a couple of the icons in that image, and turn them into objects that I can easily move around:

image.thumb.png.4999fa2b6c686e1e55cb57fbb197f107.png

There are many ways to accomplish this... for example I did partial screen grabs and pasted the new images into the document. I have also seen suggestions to use masks and export slices in Designer. But those threads were pretty old now... Is there a faster way to get a destructive crop, or copy/paste part of an image, all inside Designer?

I know I can use Photos for any kind of pixel operations, but the vector nature of Designer, and better text controls, are a big benefit for this kind of work. 

You could make a  pixel selection, copy it (Ctrl-C), and use FIle > New from Clipboard. Or, after copying, you could paste into another document you have open in Designer.

Or you could use the Vector Crop Tool, which basically applies a mask to hide everything you cropped out.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1. Open a screenshot like the above shown in AD (use open not placing)
  2. Change to the Pixel persona
  3. Use a rect selection copy/paste
  4. Dismiss the selection Cmd-/Ctrl-D
  5. Move the selected portion (see it's new pixel layer) where you want

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2