You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Laptop Running Hot

First off, let me say that I like the beta application and wish the development team success. 

I've got one problem, however.  I'm running Affinity on a 15 in. MacBook Pro (core i7, 2.3 Ghz, 16 Gb memory).  With anything more than basic adjustments in the app, the laptop temp. will hit 150F+ within a few minutes, particularly with any zooming in.  Is anyone experiencing the same thing?

Appreciate your feedback.

• Staff

Hi Henchard,

There's a few of us in the office (myself included) that only run it on our MacBook Pros - mine is a Late 2013 base model with 8GB RAM. I only ever notice my fans coming on when I'm compiling the product from code, but during my time using the application it's pretty quiet - although I can occasionally provoke it then it cools down again. Can I ask if you have a discrete GPU in your MacBook Pro? If so, does your temperature remain more stable if you go to Affinity Photo's Preferences and choose 'Performance'->'Use only integrate GPU' and then restart Affinity Photo?

Thanks,

Matt

I'm seeing this too, on a Mid 2014 15" rMBP with 16GB RAM and a 2.8 Core i7... however, I haven't complained about it, as I'm frequently running Xcode also, and chalked it up to that. I've tried fiddling with AD's performance prefs, but haven't found anything that really solves it. 

hi, your guy who got problem with the macbook pro / mbp retina temperature, your guys can using an app called "TG PRO" combine with my settings preference to set the fan speed. It will cool down your mac when need.
FIRST, download 3 file bellow.

http://www.tunabellysoftware.com/resources/TGPro_2_7_2.zip
http://www.datafilehost.com/d/327bb6af
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2gjTXMDhjR7aGV5T3Q1UFFrZVE/view?usp=sharing

Unzip then install TG Pro, then use the second app, you know what to do...

THEN put this 3rd file named "com.tunabellysoftware.tgpro.plist" to this path, this is my setting for TG Pro, i spend a lot of time for optimize it so this setting problably is the best settings for TG pro, you don't need to set anything, just put that file .plist in this path :

/Users/[YOUR USERNAME]/Library/Preferences/

If after all step above, your Mac will auto set fan speeds when it need it, and send notification to you when you mac temperature goes too hot, you are good to go
If not, you just delete my file .plist then restart the app :) Maybe my setting is optimize for MBP retina late 2013 but not efficient with your mac.

IF YOU DONT NEED THE NOTIFICATION FEATURE, you can download an app called "Macs Fan Control" from CrystallDEA, set fan speed base on PECI CPU (46 - 56 Celcius) and you also good to go :)

http://www.crystalidea.com/downloads/macsfancontrol.zip

Enjoy !

I use iStat Menus, and that has fan-control settings which I use when it gets unbearable, but generally, I prefer not to muck about with the hardware settings.

BTW: I just noticed this is in the AP-B forum... I'm seeing this in AD... but I have narrowed it down (accidentally) to my use of Layer Effects and Bitmap Gradients (which I'm using fairly prolifically in my current project). When I've got a shape with a bitmap gradient and apply various shadows/glows to it, the processors (and fans) go nuts.

• Staff

Hi Karim,

Your observations about layer effects causing your machine to get warm is definitely true - this is what I meant by provoking it... Layer effects are pixel-based effects - they involve complex convolution, lighting, etc from potentially many source pixels for each destination pixel on the screen, so they are computationally expensive and are never cached (so as not to run into quality/memory problems) so we split them into many threads and run them concurrently... If you do this often then you will cause the CPU to get naturally warm as it has been operating at full throughput for a long time, so there is no way around this other than to run in a single thread and sit there for 8 times longer! ;)

Thanks,

Matt

Just to chime in, I also have the same specs as Karim above and notice similar ''issues'' for lack of a better word. I've noticed that especially in the develop module my laptop has a tendency to get ready for take off i.e. fans can get quite loud! I should point out it is also similar in Affinity designer when dealing with a number of layers.  I am aware these tasks are intensive but I find this does not happen in photoshop, lightroom or illustrator, even when dealing with very large files. I don't wish to sound negative as Affinity is very good software! (just offering some feedback). Obviously it's still in beta so I appreciate there's a few things still to iron out. Keep up the good work!

Heat and fans are not a problem here with a somewhat lesser spec machine.  The only differences I can think of are work load and (possibly) that I am 100% SSD.   Don't use AD, but some of my photo editing gets intensive enough to cause the occasional freeze.

Retina iMac (4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) OS X 10.11.6  Capture One 10.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.