You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.7.0 Not recognizing newly installed fonts

What kind of fonts are they (OpenType, TrueType, or PostScript Type 1)? Do their names begin with numerals or lowercase letters?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

15 hours ago, JoeISP said:

They're TTF beginning with lowercase letters, not numerals. 

Look at the bottom of your list of fonts. The last time I checked, sorting was case sensitive.

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, GabrielM said:

Hi @JoeISP,

Can you attach the fonts in question?

Thanks,

Gabe. 

All of the "iconic-fonts" that were gifted with the 1.7 update are installed and not showing up. They're also not showing up in Photo 1.7. Any fonts installed after the 1.7 update yesterday are not showing up in the font list. I'm scrolling and also searching in the ALL column. I've tried installing fonts with the applications closed and open. No Change. I really don't want to reinstall as I have a healthy amount of brushes, styles, palettes, assets, etc. that I'd have to re-load, but that was going to be my next step.

24 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

Can you use the fonts in any other apps? 

18 hours ago, JoeISP said:

All other applications see them.

Alfred spacer.png

I sacrificed Affinity Photo since it has the same behavior as Designer with not seeing newly installed fonts. I don't have nearly as many custom resources installed in AP so less hassle to reinstall them.

I uninstalled AP, did a full shut down on Win 10 computer, restarted and did a reinstall of AP. I still have the same issues. The fonts installed are missing. However it kept my preferences and installed brushes. I didn't have to enter registration information during reinstall. So some preferences file was still on my system.

I've attached a side-by-side screen shot with Illustrator. These are running at the same time. You can see the fonts are installed and show in Illustrator, yet when I opened one of the icon logos calling for these fonts, AP doesn't see them. Designer is mirroring this exact same behavior.

I did update to 1.7 (AD & AP) on my Mac, installed the same fonts and there are no such issues. As of now this is limited to my work's Win 10 machine.   

Is there a factory reset in the software I can try?  

WhereTheFonts.PNG

• Staff

Try this: 

Close Designer. Navigate to %AppData%\Affinity\Designer\ and rename 1.0 to 1.0.backup. Re-open Designer

Close Photo. Navigate to %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\ and rename 1.0 to 1.0.backup. Re-open Photo. 

5 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Try this: 

Close Designer. Navigate to %AppData%\Affinity\Designer\ and rename 1.0 to 1.0.backup. Re-open Designer

Close Photo. Navigate to %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\ and rename 1.0 to 1.0.backup. Re-open Photo. 

Negative. I tried both Designer and Photo as suggested. I also tried renaming 1.0 to 1.0.backup then uninstalling and reinstalling Photo. Same problem persists.

I even tried Publisher 1.7.0.376 beta and again, same issue with the same fonts. 

Is it a registry thing? 

3 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

Should not be. I've tested those fonts and they were all fine. Have you got nay font manager apps?

I have a Font Viewer but no font manager apps. Just a random thought: is there a limit to the number of fonts Affinity apps can see?

My next step is going to be rolling back Photo to the last 1.6 version and seeing if that helps.

21 minutes ago, JoeISP said:

Just a random thought: is there a limit to the number of fonts Affinity apps can see?

I think it might be something along these lines.

I was having the same problem. All the fonts on my system were available in Designer 1.6.5.123 but not in Designer or Publisher 1.7 betas noticeably the most recently installed fonts. I had a lot of fonts (>6000) so I decided to prune them back and now have about 2800 fonts. I tried Designer and Publisher 1.7 betas again and those fonts are now available. I hope this helps

Several things to report:

I rolled back Photo to 1.6.5.135 and all fonts are showing! I'm going to do the same with Designer now because this is our daily use software to help avoid being held over a barrel by Adobe.

I installed latest 1.7 beta for Designer I still had and same problem - no new fonts showing. Uninstalled.

So there is definitely a bug in all Affinity 1.7x software I've tried (Designer, Designer beta, Photo, & Publisher beta) for this particular Win10 machine at least. 

Rolling back both Photo and Designer to 1.6 and all fonts were available. 

I uninstalled ALL Affinity software, (very sad,) and just did a fresh install of Designer 1.7 and again, not all fonts available. 

1 hour ago, RonR said:

I think it might be something along these lines.

I was having the same problem. All the fonts on my system were available in Designer 1.6.5.123 but not in Designer or Publisher 1.7 betas noticeably the most recently installed fonts. I had a lot of fonts (>6000) so I decided to prune them back and now have about 2800 fonts. I tried Designer and Publisher 1.7 betas again and those fonts are now available. I hope this helps

This, along with my experience makes me think that may be the problem. Perhaps a bug or intentional limitation on the number of fonts . I currently have 5,199 fonts installed. 

@RonR how many fonts do you have currently running to where you can add a font and it shows up in 1.7? 

1 hour ago, GabrielM said:

It should not be a limit. How many fonts have you got installed? 

@GabrielM Sorry I missed this earlier. I have 5,199 installed. I know it could use some pruning, but that's a fairly time consuming process I hadn't planned on doing, but will attempt to do as soon as time allows.

Given the info in this thread, is this something that could be reported to the development team for further inspection?

1 hour ago, JoeISP said:

how many fonts do you have currently running to where you can add a font and it shows up in 1.7? 

Sorry this is my first time on any forum so I don't know how to reply to you directly.

According to NexusFont I now have 2785 fonts installed (1601 items in Windows Font folder). I'm not sure at what point fonts missing fonts started becoming available but I think I tried when I had culled to about 5000 fonts at which point they still weren't available. After that I just kept uninstalling until where I am now. I just installed another font and it showed up no problems

9 minutes ago, RonR said:

Sorry this is my first time on any forum so I don't know how to reply to you directly.

According to NexusFont I now have 2785 fonts installed (1601 items in Windows Font folder). I'm not sure at what point fonts missing fonts started becoming available but I think I tried when I had culled to about 5000 fonts at which point they still weren't available. After that I just kept uninstalling until where I am now. I just installed another font and it showed up no problems

Thanks @RonR I'm definitely not looking forward to the culling.

Also - to tag a name directly, type "@" then the persons name without a space after it like you would on any social media platform.  

3 hours ago, JoeISP said:

Also tried clearing Windows 10 font cache, did not help. 

Hi JoelSP, it seems like you have a very big collection of fonts installed and so loaded in memory. Most of the time it's not really necesary to install that many fonts. If you only want to use those fonts to design, you could use a font manager and toggle fonts on and off to load them 'on the fly' instead of having thousands of fonts installed. Having as little fonts installed as possible speeds up everything in your system a lot and software doesn't need to load/scan all those fonts.

So using a font manager which is able to toggle on and off fonts (load/unload on the fly without installing the font) instead of having thousands of fonts installed might solve your problem you're facing now too.

There are a lot of threads about it here on the forum about it. Like this one from this week:

So maybe uninstalling these amounts of fonts and using a font manager instead helps you to keep using 1.7 ?

@wigglepixel Thank you - Hopefully they squash the bug soon, but that's some good info. I'm a Mac guy at heart and this is a Windows work machine, so I'm hoping I can get this to work so I can get 1.7 back on this machine. I just downloaded FontBase to give it a try. I'll post here if it makes any difference. Thanks again.