You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Node coordinates are messed up

I was very excited about the update to 1.7. The reset of the toolbar was annoying, but I sorted that pretty quickly. But now I have run into a problem that seriously affects my ability to work. The xy coordinates for nodes are not the same as the xy coordinates for artboard and objects on the artboard. I have attached an example.

The coordinates of the top left corner of the curve I have selected is x: 158.5, y: 31.503.

The coordinates of the top left node should be the same; instead they are x: -1599.11, y: -568.497.

This problem only seems to happen in existing documents. Documents created in version 1.7 have nodes with correct coordinates. The problem is, I’ve been using Affinity Designer for a few years now. I have a lot of existing .afdesign documents.

Help!

Screenshot 2019-06-05 at 21.09.55.png

Screenshot 2019-06-05 at 21.10.09.png

More info: If I create a new document and copy objects from the existing document into the new document, the nodes show the correct coordinates. It’s not really acceptable but it keeps me working in the short term.

Thanks for the reply, @GabrielM.

I’ve done a little poking around and this is what I’ve found.

— The problem also happens on documents created after the 1.7 update.

— The problem seems to happen on all artboards except the top left artboard. If I move any artboard to the top left position, the node coordinates on that artboard are become correct.

— Sometimes only one of the coordinates is wrong.

I’m working on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15 inch, mid-2015) running macOS Mojave 10.14.5. I use a late 2015 5K iMac at work. I haven’t had chance see if I can replicate the problem on my iMac but I will do on Monday.

I’ve attached a document that definitely has the problem I’ve described on my MacBook.

node test.afdesign

Looking at the 'x' node coordinates (as it doesn't seem to affect the 'y' coordinates) for the curves on your second artboard it appears that AD is taking it's zero ruler position for the second artboard from the top left corner of an imaginary third artboard positioned equidistant from the second one and therefore treating the second artboard 'x' coordinates as negative values from this zero point because the second artboard is to the left of the imaginary third artboard and it is including in its calculation the gap between the artboards.

In your file, the gap between the two artboards is 64.58mm, so if you were to add a third artboard of the same size to the right of the second with the same gap of 64.58mm and use the top left corner of the third artboard as the zero point to measure from then that ties in exactly with the 'x' node coordinates you are seeing on your second artboard.

Looks like a simple math error in the code where it is setting the zero point incorrectly each time a new artboard is added by a fixed multiple of the artboard width plus the gap between artboards. If you add a third artboard with the same graphic you'll see the 'x' coordinates are further out but by an additional artboard plus gap multiple.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• 3 years later...

I am having SAME issues in V2 - am unsure if it was ever okay in V1 for me - as I did not check.

BUT, if I go to draw a line in publisher on Page 2 of a file - it draws it in at a y coordinate based off of page 1.

so, if file was 11" (or 66 picas) - page 2 adds on the height of page 1 - so its y coordinates are not correct.