You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Will Designer Beta Continue?

• Staff

The beta will continue with 1.7.1 when we have changes and need to beta test them.  1.7.1 beta should keep any customisations and settings etc from the 1.7.0 beta

You can leave 1.7.0 beta installed or not. as you wish, the above is still true.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I tried to open the Beta on Mac but it says to download the beta from the App Store ( I purchased from App Store ). I can`t find the beta in the app store.
Already have downloaded the 1.7 stable version

I have a custom configuration settings on beta that I want to migrate to the stable version

• Staff
10 minutes ago, andremacola said:

I tried to open the Beta on Mac but it says to download the beta from the App Store ( I purchased from App Store ). I can`t find the beta in the app store.
Already have downloaded the 1.7 stable version

I have a custom configuration settings on beta that I want to migrate to the stable version

Yes, it is normal (and unfortunate) for the customer beta builds to not understand the new release builds (because until the build is served up by the store we cannot put it's unique MD5 into the beta so that the release build is "recognised".  Once there is a 1.7.1 beta build available it will be built to recognise the new release. 

@Chris B Can you please suggest what settings files can safely be migrated on a mac from beta to release , where they are stored and where they need to be put. (I suggest we put it in a pinned post)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

Hi Andremacola,

Do you have anything in the App Store build that you want to keep at the same time? If not then you should be able to do the following:

For Mac App Store do the following:

1. Go to \Users\username\Library\Application Support\Affinity Designer Beta\ and copy all the files and folders inside there.
  2. Go to \Users\username\Library\Containers\com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner\Library\Application Support\ and paste the contents into there overwriting whatever was in there.

(Note to other readers) For Affinity Store do the following:

1. Go to "\Users\username\Library\Application Support\Affinity Designer Beta\" and copy all the files and folders inside there.
  2. Go to "\Users\username\Library\Application Support\Affinity Designer\" and paste the contents into there overwriting whatever was in there

When you next run up the application it should have all the same settings your beta had. However please note that if you had already made any changes to 1.7 (or had any content from 1.6) already there these WILL BE LOST! If you wish to keep that then export those out and reimport before doing the steps above.

Hey @Sean P

Nice, all my stuff are in the Beta. Customize shortcut keys (that I did not export), custom configurations, panels locations and custom toolbar.

It would be great if you guys provide some export function to import in any new user installation. It is always boring when we need to refresh the workstation. :P

7 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

The beta will continue with 1.7.1 when we have changes and need to beta test them.  1.7.1 beta should keep any customisations and settings etc from the 1.7.0 beta

You can leave 1.7.0 beta installed or not. as you wish, the above is still true.

Patrick, 

Does this guidance apply to the Betas for Photo and Publisher as well? 

• Staff
2 hours ago, Mark Oehlschlager said:

Patrick, 

Does this guidance apply to the Betas for Photo and Publisher as well? 

Absolutely it does for Photo Mac and Publisher Mac. The first Customer beta of Affinity Publisher 1.7.1 beta (requiring a purchased version to run) will read the settings on the current Public beta ,

This is also all true of Windows betas, except Designer and Photo Customer old betas do NOT stop working immediately a new release is downloaded.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

@Patrick Connor

So, I've recently installed the new 1.7 versions of Designer and Photo from the Mac App Store, and would like to continue participating in the Customer Betas for Designer and Photo as they develop toward a future 1.7.1 release, but I'm challenged by the window attached below. 

Since I've purchased Designer and Photo through the Mac App Store, I'm not sure how to respond to this challenge window. 

Please advise.

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 3.47.07 PM.png

16 hours ago, Mark Oehlschlager said:

Since I've purchased Designer and Photo through the Mac App Store, I'm not sure how to respond to this challenge window. 

This should fix itself when the 1.7.1 betas come out.  Just quit the beta - can't run the old ones any longer now that you have the release version installed.

• Staff

@Mark Oehlschlager fde101 is correct. There is no customer beta of 1.7.1 at the moment, but as soon as there is the new beta build will not challenge you for a key.

Yes, that's a confusing message to come from an expired beta build. It shows when the Mac App Store version has simply moved on. We should display an expired message in that case.

@MattP, please can beta builds look to see if a Mac App Store version is installed, and if it is installed but is not a recognised version, add some text to that dialog to simply say that the beta does not work once the release build is updated?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

On 6/6/2019 at 5:03 AM, Sean P said:

Hi Andremacola,

Do you have anything in the App Store build that you want to keep at the same time? If not then you should be able to do the following:

For Mac App Store do the following:

1. Go to \Users\username\Library\Application Support\Affinity Designer Beta\ and copy all the files and folders inside there.
  2. Go to \Users\username\Library\Containers\com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner\Library\Application Support\ and paste the contents into there overwriting whatever was in there.

(Note to other readers) For Affinity Store do the following:

1. Go to "\Users\username\Library\Application Support\Affinity Designer Beta\" and copy all the files and folders inside there.
  2. Go to "\Users\username\Library\Application Support\Affinity Designer\" and paste the contents into there overwriting whatever was in there

When you next run up the application it should have all the same settings your beta had. However please note that if you had already made any changes to 1.7 (or had any content from 1.6) already there these WILL BE LOST! If you wish to keep that then export those out and reimport before doing the steps above.

Not working on my end. Using AD from the Mac App Store. In step #2 there's no Library folder inside of the com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner folder.  There's just a Container.plist and a folder named Data, which has a Library folder. So I used this path to paste the copied files & folders from step #1:

⁨Users⁩ \ ⁨username\ ⁨Library⁩\Containers⁩\⁨com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner⁩\Data⁩\Library⁩\Application Support\

started up AD and everything that I installed in the beta is now in the released version of AD 1.7.

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

... There is no customer beta of 1.7.1 at the moment, but as soon as there is the new beta build will not challenge you for a key.

So, to be clear, when the new 1.7.1 Customer Betas are ready, will they be delivered by the "Check for Updates" function built into the currently installed Customer Betas, or will we need to delete the current Customer Beta apps first and then download the new Customer Betas from the Serif servers when they're ready?

• Staff
4 minutes ago, Mark Oehlschlager said:

So, to be clear, when the new 1.7.1 Customer Betas are ready, will they be delivered by the "Check for Updates" function built into the currently installed Customer Betas, or will we need to delete the current Customer Beta apps first and then download the new Customer Betas from the Serif servers when they're ready?

When there is a first beta of 1.7.1 (1.7.1.1) then I doubt we will use the check for updates mechanism, as so few people will be running the 1.7.0.x betas because they have been replaced by 1.7.0 release builds.

However after there is a 1.7.1.1, I expect further 1.7.1.x updates will be on autoupdate until the point where 1.7.1.?? is released as a non beta build.

The best way to be notified of a new "first" beta build of a cycle is to follow the appropriate forum using the Follow button top right on the one(s) that interest you.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.