You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using Affinity to edit from MAC 'photo'

Installed the latest version of affinity fine.

When viewing images with MAC 'Photos" and I right click the image I have the choice to edit that image with affinity. Having done the edit, click save the image closes but does not appear in an edited condition back in 'photos'

What am I doing wrong?(am I doing anything wrong) where do the saved images go ??

• Staff

Hi RMole,

When you go to save the images back to Photos are you going to File > Close and then clicking save changes?

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi Callum and thanks for your initial reply.

steps are thus

when in Photo, right click the image i want to edit.

Flyout menu offers Affinity

Left click Affinity and up pops the chosen image (very quickly now) in the affinity program

I conduct the edit and click file, close and am asked if I want to save the changes, click yes but these changes do no appear in the photo program

If I click file, save same question but do I want to save a flattened image, same answer same result

If I click file, save as, the image is saves but to a previously used path way on "the cloud`' but not back in photos

Sometimes when I click, file, save the mac hangs with the Catherine wheel and I have to force quit affinity

Can no longer edit from the apple Photos app with Affinity.  Edits work correctly with "Preview.app" and "Gimp.app"\

My Workflow Steps

1. Launch Photos
  2. Open Finder to "Pictures/Photo Library.photoslibrary/private/com.apple.Photos/ExternalEditSessions"
  3. Import Images (.jpeg, or .jpeg + raw)
  4. Select Image
    1. right click
    2. select "edit with"
    3. select "Affinity"
  5. Switch to Affinity leaving the finder window open
  6. Modify Image (crop, exposure)
  7. press "command-S to Save"
    1. view Finder Window
  8. press "command-W to Close"
    1. View Finder Window
  9. Activate Photos

EXPECTED RESULT

Step 5) Temporary folder created with .jpeg or .tiff and visible in Finder
Step 7) Modification data and preview on temporary file updated and visible in Finder
Step 8) Temporary file disapears in Finder
Step 9) After a short delay the modified image appears in Photos

ACTUAL RESULT

Step 9) Modifications NEVER make it to Apple's Photos apps.

ALTERNATE Remediation tried with out effect:

• reboot computer
  • rebuilding photos library
  • editing photo with Preview (which works all the steps the same if preview is replace with affinity until Step #9 where I get the expected result), reverting changes and trying with Affinity
  • reinstalling affinity from download

I am getting the same (lack of) results that @RMole mentioned above when I use the right-click 'edit with' method in step 4, except that Affinity Photo doesn't hang.

What does work for me (as it did in the 1.6.x version) is in Apple Photos to open a photo to full size so the Edit button at the top of the window appears, click that, click on the three dots in a circle button at the top of the edit window to show the extension options, & then click on the last item in the extensions list, "Edit in Affinity Photo."

I am using Apple Photos version 3.0 with High Sierra.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 minutes ago, RMole said:

What on earth caused you to go that route?

I am extremely clever! xD

OK, what really happened is a few years ago I saw someone else mention that method works when the other one doesn't in this forum.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7