You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Toggling through tools not working as expected

Hi, I noticed that on Photo 1.7 there are two strange things happening when I toggle through both the lasso/marque tools (using the shortcut L) and the healing/inpainting tools (using the shortcut J).

For both of these tools, their associated shortcut does not cycle through all of the tools.

I'll have the freehand lasso tool selected, and when I hit L, it changes to the column marque tool, and then I can not hit L again to make it cycle back to the freehand lasso tool.

For the healing/inpainting tools (shortcut J), it will cycle through the healing, patch, blemish, and red eye removal, but it will bypass the inpainting tool and instead a clarity adjustment window will show up on the screen. I have to manually click the healing icon and select the inpainting tool.  

• Staff
15 hours ago, quinnballard said:

I'll have the freehand lasso tool selected, and when I hit L, it changes to the column marque tool, and then I can not hit L again to make it cycle back to the freehand lasso tool.

It seems to be the Freehand Selection Tool + whatever marquee tool I last selected

15 hours ago, quinnballard said:

For the healing/inpainting tools (shortcut J), it will cycle through the healing, patch, blemish, and red eye removal, but it will bypass the inpainting tool and instead a clarity adjustment window will show up on the screen.

This seems to work perfectly for me. I have absolutely no idea why this is triggering a Clarity Adjustment dialog for you. Have you ever experimented with changing any of the shortcuts? Would you mind exporting your shortcuts and attaching it here so I can try and reproduce your issue?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also experiencing this issue with cycling with the shortcut key J.

I've setup an express key on my Wacom Intuos Pro to cycle through Js to get to the inpainting tool but it no longer works. When I manually cycle through J, the clarity adjustment dialogue box pops up too.

@Chris B @livetheshot Update: I went into the shortcut preferences and set up the J and L keys to toggle through the correct (aka previous) tools. I am stumped why the clarity adjustment box showed up after updating to 1.7, but after removing it from the shortcut list and adding back in the inpainting tool, all has worked as expected.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This has started happening on my MacBook Pro too after I updated to Photo 1.7.1 yesterday.

The L keystroke now only brings up the Cloumn Marguee Tool (which I never use) and will not cycle through the rest of the tools so that I can get to the Freehand Selection Tool (which I use all the time).

The J keystroke will also bring up the Clarity filter instead of cycling through to bring up the Inpainting Brush Tool. I did previously have CTRL-SHIFT-J set up for the Inpainting Brush Tool – but now v1.7.1 will not let me use that shortcut, so have had to set up another one.

Maaaaaaan… this update is starting to really annoy me.

I believe the default settings has changed for 1.7.x branch - you have to hit Shift+key to cycle through groups.

I'm not about to reset all my tools settings to check out what the default settings actually is, but you can check out / adjust this in
Preferences > Tools > Use shift key to cycle tool groups :10_wink:

tools-cycling.jpg.aae84d2dc958a2b745541c0cd05978e9.jpg