You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.7 designer. Pencil tool - Close a shape?

For me, the pencil tool is one of the most used tools in illustrator. It is a very powerfull and easy to overlook tool in Illustrator. In 1.6 the pencil tool was weak in Designer and made me not using Designer so far. I was a bit hyped when i saw the update notes that the pencil tool had an upgrade. I am flying through the update and am trying to close a shape with one line just by overlapping the first node. I am trying all kind of stuff but so far no luck.

Any thoughts?

the sculping option is a welcome update. It is not so advanced as in illustrator but it is a start. I am happy to see this!

1. Draw with Pencil, and end somewhere near where you began.
  2. Hold Ctrl to temporarily switch to Node Tool.
  3. Drag end node on to start node.
  4. Optionally, while still holding Ctrl, click with both left and right mouse buttons to smooth the newly joined node.
  5. Release Ctrl to continue with Pencil.

Notes…

• Keypresses etc are for Windows - they may be different on Mac.
  • Yes the two button click is ghastly.
  • Yes this is a clunky workaround.
  • Yes Serif really ought to give us a better way to close curves with the pencil tool.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

10 hours ago, Aammppaa said:
  1. Draw with Pencil, and end somewhere near where you began.
  2. Hold Ctrl to temporarily switch to Node Tool.
  3. Drag end node on to start node.
  4. Optionally, while still holding Ctrl, click with both left and right mouse buttons to smooth the newly joined node.
  5. Release Ctrl to continue with Pencil.

Notes…

• Keypresses etc are for Windows - they may be different on Mac.
  • Yes the two button click is ghastly.
  • Yes this is a clunky workaround.
  • Yes Serif really ought to give us a better way to close curves with the pencil tool.

Thank you for the comment. It is a but of a clunky workaround yes hehe.. but it is better than before, so it is a start. I really think if they nail the pencil tool in some updates.. like a smart closing system without doing al kind of shortcuts, it could be the Illustrator replacement for me.

On 6/5/2019 at 3:39 PM, Aammppaa said:

Yes Serif really ought to give us a better way to close curves with the pencil tool.

I think they should give us a better way to close curves, period. I like that I can assign a keyboard shortcut to the close curve action (for me Shift-C works & is easy to remember) but it sucks that it is only available when the Node Tool is in use. It would be much more useful if it worked whenever an open curve was selected, regardless of which tool was active.

I also hope that someday they give us some way to tell at a glance if a curve is open or closed, like maybe color-coding end nodes with different colors or using different shapes.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 7 months later...