You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

This may have been mentioned by others. One of the obstacles facing Photoshop users wanting to migrate to Affinity is that Adobe users find it difficult to locate corresponding tools, palettes, and menus. Possibly Serif wanted to avoid similarities because of real or supposed copyright issues.

I come from a software development background. If Serif could allow users to customize their own interface, that might help. I'm thinking in particular of bespoke 'skins', where an encompassing Photoshop-like UI filters commands from the user to the underlying Affinity program.

It would take a burden off users.

If you're that attached to Photoshop why not just stick with it? Serif does not want Affinity Apps to be clones of Adobe's. They want it to be a competitor, not a duplicate.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

@UnicornTapestry

17 hours ago, UnicornTapestry said:

Instead of advice, I'm met with snide and snarky remarks

I'm not sure I read either of the replies you received as "snide" or "snarky".

I think the point that both @Tourmaline and @Ron P. were trying to make is that Affinity Photo is NOT intended by Serif to be a "photoshop-clone", but an ever-developing program,  some of whose features are also to be found in PS but others are not, and may never be, and vice versa.  Hence, as @Tourmaline indicated, it is necessary for users to try and "forget" their prior "workflows" when moving from PS to AP and to try and find a "similar" approach to that that they used before.  Many features are "similar" between PS and AP, some are not and some, perhaps, never will be.

It is never easy to transition from a very familiar software platform to one which is new and @Ron P. was simply making the point that if you find PS suits your workflow and AP doesn't, why not stick with PS?

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

On 6/6/2019 at 2:26 AM, UnicornTapestry said:

Tourmaline, can you suggest a stepping off point to 'clone' the Photoshop interface, so to speak? Thank you.

In EDIT-PREFERENCES-KEYBOARDshortcuts you can alter the shortcuts the way you like, like the ones you're used to in Photoshop.

In VIEW-CUSTOMIZE TOOLS you can customize the tools the way you like.

In CUSTOMIZE TOOLBAR you can customize the UI as you want it to be.

In VIEW-STUDIO you can check wich tabs you want to see on your monitor and arrange them the way you like.

So, Affinity Photo is highly customizable.

On 6/7/2019 at 3:54 AM, UnicornTapestry said:

It's disillusioning. I've twice asked for help. Instead of advice, I'm met with snide and snarky remarks. I'm happy you have everything all worked out, but some of us come for assistance, not to get slapped down.

Does this help? I made a video tutorial the other day on setting up your workbench in Affinity Photo (works in Designer and Publisher as well). If you have any questions, please ask away. :)

14 hours ago, UnicornTapestry said:

Froze, thank you. I read that thread, but because I'm new I don't know where to find your tutorial. It's probably in front of me and I can't see it, but if you can post a link, I'd appreciate it. Again, thanks.

If you click the arrow in the top right corner of the link I sent in my previous message (it's a big icon with an arrow tilted 45 degrees to the right), you get transferred immediately to the video I linked to. There is also another video I linked in there that gives you some additional information about panels (they are the only posts with a video player and my name on them).

If you got any more questions, ask ahead, and I'll see what I can do! ^_^