You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

very slow since update to 1.7.0

2 hours ago, Matt H said:

Isn't Metal supposed to be faster?

Assuming you mean metal compute...  my understanding is that it tries to push processing to the GPU instead of the CPU.  Data needs to be copied to the GPU, then copied back as part of that process.  Depending on the speed of the path from your computer's memory to the GPU, the amount of memory it has to cache data, and how fast the GPU is, the combined performance for newer modern GPUs will usually be faster with compute turned on, but may be slower with older GPUs or with computers that have less efficient busses connecting the GPUs to the rest of the system... for example.  There are other factors that could come into play as well.

Ditto to all that has been said here.  EVERYTHING is SO much slower since upgrading to 1.7.

At first, I thought it was my settings - but I made sure they were set the same as I had them in 1.6

Then I thought there was an issue trying to roundtrip into Affinity from Capture One as is part of my workflow - nope, all settings the same.

Not sure if it's an issue with 1.7 dancing with the graphics or memory, but either way - 1.7 is dang slow and I will not be using it until this gets cleared up.

Thankfully I was able to go back to 1.6 so I can keep getting my work done.  

\\\ Edited to Add:  ///

So... turning off Metal compute acceleration and then restarting seems to be the trick.  For now, 1.7 seems just as quick as 1.6 ...

I have not yet tried every tool or persona yet, but so far so good.  

Edited by JohnMagnoski
Things changed

15 hours ago, Chris B said:

Could you try turning it off, please. 

Same for me. After turning off Metal for compute acceleration it is much faster. Nearly the same as before 1.7.0

I didn‘t tried the new beta version 1.7.1 up to now. Should it help for the performance issue?

• Staff

@mleops - The beta likely will not improve 'general' performance and I'd recommend installing it if you are affected by any of issues listed as resolved. Or, you can install it if you want to keep up with any new fixes that may be implemented between now and the release of Publisher.

Running with OpenGL on Designer and it is very laggy as well (zooming, typing).  1.6 was snappy even on my older machine. I've tried to adjust performance preferences, but it hasn't helped.

653533026_ScreenShot2019-06-13at10_27_01AM.png.f9f570a887f884743b0357433f9a9331.png

(In this first post, I'd like to thank you guys for making great software overall)

It's a bit odd, that AP on my iPad Pro runs faster and smoother than the desktop application on my mac. I really appreciate the amazing work Serif has done on these mobile devices, but I still prefer working on a desktop computer and I don't really use the iPad Version anymore. Nothing goes over a big screen and a mouse - much more comfortable. Exept for painting, I still use the iPad.
I hope the Serif team can give now more attention and time to the desktop applikations (which I personally find much more importand for the broad market than mobile Apps) and can fix the problems and performance issues soon and keep this amazing software on a constant high level, because I love this applications so much!
:)

The same for me here with a 2016 MBP 15" with dedicated GPU. Removing Metal Compute and using OpenGL seems to be just slightly faster, but that could easily be perceived-only. I suppose these settings are too advanced most people including a techy as me, so maybe some general "whats your setup and this is then the recommended settings" would be advisable?

• 1 month later...

As per my other post on the newest beta speed improvements, with the new 1.7.2 betas, my speed is massively faster than 1.6.x or 1.7.1. And that's processing 24MP RAW 3-bracket HDR merging, tone mapping, plus other touch-up tools, then custom export. 

High Sierra, iMac 2017 i5, Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB, Metal display and compute.

Cleared up the slowness with the 1.7.2 betas and made it significantly faster than 1.6.7. In fact, too fast for me to even get some coffee drinking done while I work! :D  (I typically do several hundred of these RAW develop/merge/tone map/touch up/exports a day, so am very familiar with typical speeds.) 

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

On 8/3/2019 at 3:20 AM, nwhit said:

As per my other post on the newest beta speed improvements, with the new 1.7.2 betas, my speed is massively faster than 1.6.x or 1.7.1. And that's processing 24MP RAW 3-bracket HDR merging, tone mapping, plus other touch-up tools, then custom export. 

High Sierra, iMac 2017 i5, Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB, Metal display and compute.

Cleared up the slowness with the 1.7.2 betas and made it significantly faster than 1.6.7. In fact, too fast for me to even get some coffee drinking done while I work! :D  (I typically do several hundred of these RAW develop/merge/tone map/touch up/exports a day, so am very familiar with typical speeds.) 

On which settings? With Metal disabled?

15 minutes ago, Klocus said:

On which settings? With Metal disabled?

With both Metal display and compute on. Previously did not work properly but the latest betas work much better with metal now. Still might be a few glitches with metal but not with my common workflows.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

• 9 months later...

Meanwhile on macos 10.15.5 (Catalina) and Affinity Photo 1.8.3 on my iMac Pro but using GPU does not speed up the Affinity Photo system at all. It makes it still very slow.

I assume using GPU should speed up the system, but I prefer to use Software and have fun with my 8 core processor. This is not what I expect.