You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

very slow since update to 1.7.0

Hello,

I have a iMac Pro and since the todays update to version 1.7.0 Affinity Photo is very slow when working with e.g. stacking. It was pretty fast before but since today it is nearly unusable.

What do you need to analyze this?

Kind regards

Michael

Hello,

here are my System information:

iMac Pro (2017)

3.2GHz Intel Xeon W

32GB Ram

Radeon Pro Vega 56 8GB

macOS 10.14.5

I set Affinity Photo to use "Apple (Core Image RAW)" for RAW-Engine. But I also tried it with "Serif Labs" RAW-Engine. Same result, very slow.

Edited by mleops

And the same slowing of performance for me, too. The inpainting brush being a perfect example - immediately prior to this update it was virtually instant to use.

Now I see a red highlight over the area I select for inpainting, then a dialogue box appears with a progress bar (I'd never seen before v1.7) whilst the process is completed. I should clarify that the inpainting tool is far from the only function brought to its knees.

Additionally, all of my interface settings, layout, macros, toolbar all gone now, too.

With the Nik Collection now also impossible to use since V1.7, I hope Serif can resolve these issues quick-smart!

Kind regards,

AF

Big slowdown for me as well with 1.7. My system is rather old, but it worked fine with 1.6.7 (and all previous versions).

Somewhat counter-intuitively, performance improves when I disable Metal hardware acceleration. It still feels slower than before, but at least it's usable. I wish I could downgrade until this is addressed, but Mac App Store doesn't seem to allow downloading older versions 

Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 3.54.33 PM.png

If OP is on a iMac Pro.. then this issue is not *me* . I've rolled back to 1.6.7.  1.7 release was just slow in Zooming images in the main window, selecting (soloing?) individual layers with CMD-Click (then it would eventually stop working all-together and just display a checkerboard).  These files are 20 or so layers with efx that 1.6 deals with with no issues . 

I'm gonna just lurk now and wait until a new updated .01 release is available.  This one isn't ready for primetime, I'm afraid.  

image.png.275fcf758ce30b7001540edd245cc7c5.png

Edited by cjc3636
attached image change

I have to add my findings also, I have noticed since updating to 1.7 that developing a raw file from a Nikon D750 is taking twice as long on my iMac mid 2011, 3.4 GHz i7 with 16gb of DDR3 than the previous version. After making a few alterations with the develop sliders in the Develop Persona and committing the change, its almost like the process is hanging up ready to fail prior to the file opening up in the Photo Persona. 

On another note. Congratulations on the Tutorials in Photo, Designer and Publisher ( I have preordered Publisher ) The tutorials are now easier to locate from the help menu, thank you great job on presentations

7 hours ago, cjc3636 said:

If OP is on a iMac Pro.. then this issue is not *me* . I've rolled back to 1.6.7.  1.7 release was just slow in Zooming images in the main window, selecting (soloing?) individual layers with CMD-Click (then it would eventually stop working all-together and just display a checkerboard).  These files are 20 or so layers with efx that 1.6 deals with with no issues . 

I'm gonna just lurk now and wait until a new updated .01 release is available.  This one isn't ready for primetime, I'm afraid.  

image.png.275fcf758ce30b7001540edd245cc7c5.png

I use the same hardware. First I also noticed the slow downs then I switched to this settings and got my old speed from 1.6 back. Did you try this?

Settings.png.49aad1767588ba1e95e376c3d81baa6a.png

• Staff
10 hours ago, ivanweiss.london said:

Severe slow down for me too. Plus all my macros, palettes, keyboard shortcuts, etc, got toasted in the update.

Did you install the beta at any point or did you simply update your 1.6 to 1.7 when it was released?

8 hours ago, Colin red said:

have to add my findings also, I have noticed since updating to 1.7 that developing a raw file from a Nikon D750 is taking twice as long

RAW opening times should have vastly increased in 1.7 so this is disappointing to hear. I'll run some tests.

1 hour ago, m-b said:

I use the same hardware. First I also noticed the slow downs then I switched to this settings and got my old speed from 1.6 back. Did you try this?

Performance should be at its best with Metal compute enabled. Did you uncheck it and change to Metal? What settings were you on before? OpenGL?

8 hours ago, Chris B said:

Performance should be at its best with Metal compute enabled. Did you uncheck it and change to Metal? What settings were you on before? OpenGL?

With enabled 'Metal Compute' I get the worst performance on my system. The whole software gets massive slowdowns. Terrible stutters in zooming and moving a picture and in rendering and set live-effects.
If I deactivate it, it makes no matter if I choose Metal or OpenGL, both runs relativly smooth, whitout stuttering and slowdowns.
I hoped that 1.7 gets a performance boost, but sadly not on my system.

16 minutes ago, m-b said:

With enabled 'Metal Compute' I get the worst performance on my system. The whole software gets massive slowdowns. Terrible stutters in zooming and moving a picture and in rendering and set live-effects.
If I deactivate it, it makes no matter if I choose Metal or OpenGL, both runs relativly smooth, whitout stuttering and slowdowns.
I hoped that 1.7 gets a performance boost, but sadly not on my system.

Did you read this (I am having the same problems with "Metal Compute")?

3 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hey paschulke2,

I've just had a chat with the developers and we have concluded that for your setup, disabling Metal compute seems to be the best configuration—which is absolutely fine and that's why it is an option :) 

So it seems that this is "normal" and the "solution" is to turn "Metal Compute" off.

Edited by paschulke2

I do see significantly better performance when I disable Metal Compute and select OpenGL for display. A few operations are still notably slower than 1.6.7, such as Refine Selection, which is *very* slow now. General usability is at least acceptable now, though.

Slow down in performance with me too. Selection refinement takes 30+ seconds to see changes made on the sliders. Eraser 'preview' doesn't show. Slow down to whole laptop to be honest with laggy Mission control and typing on Chrome/notes/etc (but only straight after switching from Affinity Photo, as if its still active in RAM, then the PC catches up after 20s of Affinity not being active)

Affinity Designer seems to be working fine.

Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 08.55.47 am.png

My tuppence... since updating to 1.7.0 from the Mac Appstore performance notably slower when refining a selection. When I say notably slower I mean about 3-4 times as long or longer. Just did a test and refined a selection on a 3500 x 5000 pixels jpg and it took 45 seconds... Very disappointed with it and wished I hadn't updated. 

Screenshot 2019-06-09 at 16.49.32.png

I make extensive use of the inpainting brush. It's excruciatingly slow when metal compute is turned on. I don't seem to experience a real slowdown otherwise, but it being unusable with metal compute on I haven't spent much time with 1.7 and metal compute. I never used the beta, but wasn't there an option to try out metal compute in 1.6? I seem to remember there was, and that it was unusable wrt. the inpainting brush.

It's good without metal compute though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 20.45.59.png