You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.7.0 performance issue with layer fx

Hi,

I was working on someting simple when the updates came through today and after applying the update and opening the same files I was working on in AD again I noticed straight away a performance issue I had not seen before. The update felt a lot worse than my experience with AD since the start.

I've attached a screen recording which show the difference clearly.

I have two identical groups, the have a layer [same in each group] with fx applied to it. When the layer with the fx is turned off, the performance is fine, dragging the group around is smooth enough. When I do turn on the layer with the fx the performance is basically non-workable for me. You'll notice it in the video.

The fx layer isn't antyhing heavy, just a bevel as a test, I've attached a screenshot of the fx. I've also attached the actual file if anyone would like to try.

Also attached a screenshot of the peformance settings in the app preferences.

System info:

System Version: macOS 10.13.6 (17G5019)

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro13,3

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 16 GB

I have a Wacom Cintiq 21UX and an old 27" iMac attached as extra screens unplugging them doesn't make a difference.

Bert

Affinity_Designer_performance_with_layer_fx.png

Affinity_Designer_performance_with_layer_fx.afdesign

performance_settings.png

I'm getting a bit of that as well when I drag around objects with a hefty gaussian blur applied... . I'm not sure how it was in the beta as I can't reopen that now that I have the MAS version...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Just searching the forum to see any other threads mentioning issues that I'm having  currently and come across this one

Just for the record still experience major performance issues in general only when using FX (layer effects)

Affinity Photo Version 2, Affinity Designer Version 2 on PC and iPad

Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

i7-7700K@4.20GHz, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti

12 minutes ago, SteveR_UK said:

Just searching the forum to see any other threads mentioning issues that I'm having  currently and come across this one

Just for the record still experience major performance issues in general only when using FX (layer effects)

You'll find two other topics tagged with bug afd-3592, too: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/search/&tags=afd-3592

Possibly @Sean P or another moderator can tell us if that bug is still Open.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1