You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Any way to recover my 1.7 beta user procedural texture presets?

I thought I had saved/exported all my custom brushes, macros, etc. before updating the Affinity Photo 1.7 through the MAS, but I forgot about the custom procedural texture presets, so of course now that the last 1.7 beta won't run, I can't go back & export them from the Manage Presets > Export User Presets panel.

I had hoped one of the files in the ~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Photo Beta/user folder had stored those presets & I could copy it to the appropriate Photo container folder location, but I don't see any propcol or dat file in the user beta folder that seems likely to store those presets.

Any ideas on this, including unofficial hacks, would be welcome.

TIA

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Any ideas on this

Yes, never dive in when there is a new major update, let others test it first then you'll know what you need to do beforehand

Alternatively, don't you Mac people have some sort of "Time Machine" software to restore to a previous system state?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

16 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Alternatively, don't you Mac people have some sort of "Time Machine" software to restore to a previous system state?

Yes, I do have multiple Time Machine backups, but to run the last Mac beta I think I would have to restore the 1.6.x version of Photo, launch the beta, export my procedural texture user presets from it, & then restore the 1.7 retail update again. I'm not 100% sure that would work, & it might cause some other unforeseen problems that would be harder to resolve. :(

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I found a solution for this so I will post it here in case it helps anybody else with a similar issue, but it is convoluted & probably not one most users will be able to use. :/

EDIT: It may be that just copying the tool_settings.propcol file from the user beta to the equivalent 1.7 retail folder would work, but I did not try that. If someone does, please post a reply with the results. Otherwise, if you try the method below, please post the results of that.

I realized that my wife's iMac still has copies of the 1.6.x retail versions of Designer & Photo on it thanks to Family Sharing, so I copied over the entire ~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Photo Beta/user folder from my iMac to the same location on hers via local network sharing, & also copied over the Photo Beta app to her iMac's Applications folder. Then all I had to do was launch the beta on her Mac & export my procedural texture user presets from the Manage Presets > Export User Presets panel.

I copied that *.aftoolpresets file back to my Mac & was then able to import it via "Import Presets..." in the the Manage Presets window. The presets are now available in the 1.7 retail app ... & they all work! :)

Affinity Photo 

9 hours ago, randomjames said:

Hey R C-R, where did you find the settings folder for the retail release? I can only see the Beta in my Application Support folder.

On Macs, the folders for the retail versions are in the Containers folder of the user Library folder, named with the 'reverse URL' convention Apple recommends, so for Photos the path is ~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto, with most of the items in the Data/Library/Application Support subfolder.

There are also Container folders for the individual Photo extensions, like ~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto.DevelopExtension.

Affinity Photo 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2019 at 9:51 PM, R C-R said:

Export User Presets panel

Hey R C-R,

do you mind sharing a screenshot of this panel? I'm having a hard time finding it for some reason. :7_sweat_smile:

Other than that …

Oh boy, you're saving my day right now. I've been trying to get my user preferences back somehow all week, but so far I've only been trying to get them back by restoring different folders under …/Users/USERNAME/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto/Data/Library/Application Support/user – and unfortunately that didn't work at all.

Now I have restored the last version of the Photo-App itself from my Time-Machine-Backup and also the folder under Library and behold – I have all my individual user preferences back! :5_smiley:

If I could now export my 35 custom LUT settings as one package instead of reloading them individually it would be a real bliss … hence my previous question: where the heck is that User Presets Panel? :6_smile:
Is it maybe beta exclusive?

Cheers and have a nice weekend
MrDoodlezz

2023_b.png.6eb47882072cc58253b7219526339b14.png

1 hour ago, MrDoodlezz said:

Hey R C-R,

do you mind sharing a screenshot of this panel? I'm having a hard time finding it for some reason. :7_sweat_smile:

If you mean the Manage Presets > Export User Presets panel, it is accessed from the 'burger' menu in the Procedural Texture window that opens the Preset manager:
1771473841_ManagePresets.png.c0bedabf755cd3da561f8529ca4a8a32.png

Affinity Photo 

5 minutes ago, R C-R said:

If you mean the Manage Presets > Export User Presets panel, it is accessed from the 'burger' menu in the Procedural Texture window that opens the Preset manager:
1771473841_ManagePresets.png.c0bedabf755cd3da561f8529ca4a8a32.png

Ah, I see. Thanks for the screenshot!
Though I thought it would be more like a general preset
manager from which you can literally export anything. :3_grin:
Hm, that would be pretty awesome …

Am I understanding correctly that this would only save presets of "Procedural Textures" and not the main general prefs, presets, etc. of APhoto? I haven't upgraded to 1.7 due to the loss of presets, so am hoping someone has figured out how to get things back to "normal" after the upgrade. While I've played with the betas for some time, cannot afford the downtime of losing various palettes, macros, presets, etc.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

3 minutes ago, nwhit said:

Am I understanding correctly that this would only save presets of "Procedural Textures" and not the main general prefs, presets, etc. of APhoto?

Yes, this topics is just about recovering custom procedural texture presets. I started it specifically about recovering ones created in one of the 1.7 customer betas, because I forgot to export them from the beta before updating the retail 1.6 app to the retail 1.7 version. Because of that, some of the info is relevant only to that situation, but all of it is just about procedural texture presets, not palettes or macros, etc.

Affinity Photo 

15 hours ago, nwhit said:

Am I understanding correctly that this would only save presets of "Procedural Textures" and not the main general prefs, presets, etc. of APhoto? I haven't upgraded to 1.7 due to the loss of presets, so am hoping someone has figured out how to get things back to "normal" after the upgrade. While I've played with the betas for some time, cannot afford the downtime of losing various palettes, macros, presets, etc.

Hey nwhit,

you can export most presets (brushes, procedural textures, macros, swatches and so on) via the drop-down of the respective palette. Afterwards you can import them automatically via double click/right click or again by using the dropdown menu.

However, there is absolutely no way to export user-created presets from the adjustment palette. Some versions/years ago there was the possibility to move the above mentioned folders, but this doesn't work either – much to the frustration of many users.

Cheers
MrDoodlezz

1 hour ago, MrDoodlezz said:

However, there is absolutely no way to export user-created presets from the adjustment palette.

But user-created procedural texture presets can be exported from the presets manager window that opens when "Manage Presets..." is selected in the Procedural Texture window, like in the screenshot I posted above.

Affinity Photo 

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

But user-created procedural texture presets can be exported from the presets manager window that opens when "Manage Presets..." is selected in the Procedural Texture window, like in the screenshot I posted above.

Yeah I got that, but in that sentence I was specifically talking about the adjustment palette. :10_wink:

25 minutes ago, MrDoodlezz said:

Yeah I got that, but in that sentence I was specifically talking about the adjustment palette. :10_wink:

Sorry for any confusion about that I might have caused. I was just trying to make it clear that now, in 1.7 we also have a few 'managers' we have to open to export or import user-created presets, like for procedural texture & Crop tool presets.

I guess in one sense this is a step in the right direction (because there are other functions besides export/import in one place) but it is still confusing & means we have to look in several different places to make sure we have exported everything.

Affinity Photo 

• 2 years later...

Hi there I am having the same problem on Windows... I have uninstalled Affinity Photo and downloaded it again and reinstalled it to see if that would help to no avail.

Where do I find these files? I'd really like to make use of this function. Thanks very much.

image.thumb.png.7c992d20b768bf9708f5660f4e4999f0.png

1 hour ago, DNO said:

I have uninstalled Affinity Photo and downloaded it again and reinstalled it to see if that would help

Are you also writing about recovering them from the 1.7 Beta? That seems unlikely, as it was a long time ago.

So please clarify what release you want to recover them from. And what sequence of install or uninstall you have done.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you for your reply, no I'm using 1.10.4 it doesn't say if it's beta so I guess it's not.

The sequence was as I had already mentioned, I did a proper uninstall followed by a newly downloaded version and reinstall of the new version.

I replied in this thread as I saw this was the same issue (but perhaps for a different reason?)

Thanks again!

If I click where you can manage the presets all the presets appear there but I can't seem to access them.

image.thumb.png.579ca524712df979c3c2bcfcecf5d9e7.png

But how did you lose them in the first place? 

What application were you using when you last had them?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

This was the first time I have tried to use them in this program ever, I haven't used them before. Nor have I tried to use them from any other program. All I can think is that the install file does not install them properly? So weird. I have tried factory resetting Affinity Photo as well to no avail.

Ah, I think I understand what you're asking now. Sorry for being slow. I'll check further when I'm back at the computer.

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, DNO said:

If I click where you can manage the presets all the presets appear there but I can't seem to access them.

In the Presets Manager window, what happens if you click on the "Restore Master Presets" button?

Affinity Photo 

Thanks everyone for your input - Hens your solution seems to be the winner I had created a document in greyscale 8 bit and it seems the procedural stuff needs RGB... which was staring me in the face looking at the presets! Much appreciated!!!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.