You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Official Affinity Photo V1 (Desktop) Tutorials

• Staff

Hi all, to accompany the 1.8 updates for the Affinity apps, I'm going to be releasing one tutorial video a day on YouTube—all videos are already available on the website here: https://affinity.serif.com/tutorials/photo/desktop

I'll be updating this thread for every new video released. Hope you find them useful! Here's the first:

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

• Staff
On 2/28/2020 at 8:29 PM, marciomendonsa said:

Is there a predict to legend (portuguese) in videos?

All the new videos are with our translators to have Portuguese subtitles written right now, so a week or so I would say

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

2 hours ago, James Ritson said:

Brush modifier (keyboard and mouse)

Thanks for your always very well-made videos! These additions are a good idea – but they (like already the older interactive brush controls) are all hooked up with a 100%  mouse input centric mindset. I just tried the feature out with a Cintiq 27 pen display. Only by trying several times in a row, I managed to at all enter the advanced stroke controls. It requires me to hold Alt, touch the glass (LMB) and at the same time hold down a key (RMB) on my pen and to hope, that everything registers. After that I was practically locked inside pen rotation mode.

It might somehow be possible to map some keyboard-button or one of the precious brush keys to RMB and LMB pressed at the same time. Then again I know that this can get done better and it's demonstrated in various other graphics applications I use. You guys are completely missing out by not supporting all features of the Wacom driver properly...

Having to actually touch the screen with the brush (→ LMB) in order to change its width, falloff or anything else feels just awfully wrong: Imagine you were standing in front of an easel, had a broad colour-loaded brush in your hand and you want to switch over to a small brush. What Affinity apps require you to do is press that fat brush onto the canvas while pressing your ear lobe and hoping for the best. When everything works well and all events register, the fat brush doesn't leave any traces, but transforms to the desired small brush.

This really all would not have to happen, if you supported Hover-Click, as – sorry – everyone else. This option lets you change all demonstrated brush properties, while hovering over the display / tablet. Hover-Click is pretty close to a analog mixing palette. Nearby, offers all options, but no danger involved – as some safety-distance is kept. I sure wrote 3 feature requests on how interactive brush manipulation could get enhanced. Realizing that nobody reads this and takes a note – and seeing that developer resources are wasted to create further implementations that are foreseeably useless with the best input devices in the  market is not particularly attractive.

• 3 weeks later...

@James Ritson macOS users would appreciate a tutorial covering specific actions necessary to edit Apple Photos using  AP, the processes to open Apple Photos, Edit In AP, and Save changes to Apple Photos.  What will work and what will not work.  What are the expectation or limitations to Save changes and re-edit in AP..  I would appreciate your consideration to address the problems posted in numerous threads concerning this issue.  Thank you, your tutorials are appreciated. 

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

• 2 months later...
On 6/5/2019 at 6:34 PM, James Ritson said:

affinity_photo_icon.png

Official Affinity Photo Desktop Tutorials

We've got a brand new set of tutorials that follow a more structured approach and are sorted into logical categories....

thank you James, very useful but the tutorial about managing plug-in is not clear for me

• 3 months later...
On 6/5/2019 at 6:34 PM, James Ritson said:

affinity_photo_icon.png

Official Affinity Photo Desktop Tutorials

We've got a brand new set of tutorials that follow a more structured approach and are sorted into logical categories.....

Its will be fantastic that you can subtitle or double the video to Spanish because i tried learn to use this software from 2016 and for me its impossible and allways I had to end my work in Photoshop and i feel wrong because i think that Affinity Photo could be perfect for me... 

i thought buy the Desktop Workbook but i read that only was in English too and i know that i understand it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Thanks James for keeping them and us up-to-date. We are looking forward for anything new we can learn.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

In the first post in this thread, many of the tutorials labeled as being New have a posting date of March 2020 or July 2020 on YouTube , not October, 2020.

Affinity Photo 2.4.1 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

• 3 months later...
  • Staff

Hello all, I will be gradually adding 1.9 functionality videos to YouTube (they are all currently on our website's Learn section). I've just finished the astrophotography videos so you can now view them on YouTube:

The initial post has been updated with these videos too!

I am using Affinity Photo on my iPad Pro.  I’ve looked at tutorials especially those regarding astrophotography of which I have a specific interest.  It seems the tutorials are all either on a Mac or PC, because the Home Screen is quite different from mine in iPadOS.  Just wondering if those versions (for Mac or PC) are so dramatically different from the one I am using.  Sorry if this is a rather basic question, I’m just getting started in trying to process deep space astrophotography and need to know if I am missing something basic.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...