You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Official Affinity Photo V1 (Desktop) Tutorials

• Staff
On 7/6/2019 at 7:02 AM, chevallm said:

But the new videos are NOT on YouTube as fas as I understand. So, how can they be downloaded? I repeat, not everyone can access reliable broadband, so it's much easier to have the videos on your system. Yiou're sure you can access them anytime and anywhere. Come on, James, ask the techs to add a download button to the videos so we can enjoy your great tutorials more easily...

Hi, all the videos are on YouTube—they're linked in the first post... alternatively, you can get to the channel here: http://youtube.com/c/AffinityPhotoOfficial/

Just a quick update to make you aware of a new video I've uploaded. It still needs subtitling/localisation before appearing on the Affinity website but you can watch it on YouTube in advance:

Changing DPI

It was created to address some of the confusion around using the Document Resize feature, so hopefully it will clear things up a bit! As usual, the first post has been updated.

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

I'm not quite sure where to put this question, so, since it arose while I was trying to follow the tutorial on isolating layers, I'll post it here.

On my Mac I most often have to option-double click where @James Ritson says to option-click when I use the Apple Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, but the same thing happens when I use only the MacBook Pro's keyboard and trackpad.  In fact, very often I have to double click where a single click should suffice.  I don't notice this behavior in another application.  I'm running AFP 1.7.1.

Richard Liu

MacBook Pro 16" 2021 M1 Max | macOS 12.3.1 | BenQ SW271 | Affinity Photo 1.10.5

• Staff
On 7/8/2019 at 12:35 AM, Wireman said:

@JamesRitson

The tutorial videos are excellent. Really well done.

I have a question about the Inpainting one. You remove the right-hand bird but not the wire it's sitting on, despite some of the wire being covered by the bird.

Is that an effect of the non-destructive layer method, or does inpainting create bits of image that aren't there in the original?

Hi @Wireman, just to quickly answer this: Photo is taking parts of the wire from the left/right of the bird. It will analyse and try and replace the content in the most logical way, which means it will often "complete" lines or similar subjects. It does this with or without the non-destructive approach.

1 hour ago, Richard Liu said:

I'm not quite sure where to put this question, so, since it arose while I was trying to follow the tutorial on isolating layers, I'll post it here.

On my Mac I most often have to option-double click where @James Ritson says to option-click when I use the Apple Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, but the same thing happens when I use only the MacBook Pro's keyboard and trackpad.  In fact, very often I have to double click where a single click should suffice.  I don't notice this behavior in another application.  I'm running AFP 1.7.1.

I'm not on a Mac at the moment so I can't test, but I've never had this experience. I'll have a look when I'm in the office tomorrow. I would have suggested some kind of keyboard setting (perhaps accessibility?) but you say it doesn't happen in other apps, so probably not...

Richard...

I had a very similar problem with Isolation Mode, and couldn’t figure it out. However, when I turned off Metal Compute, it went away completely.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

hi james

great new videos for 1 7 i appreciate your efforts, i tutor af photo at a senior persons ed centre for past 2 years. what we would like is availability of orininal photos, now i am snipping/jpnt screen, also a  transcription  of narration so the class can work on tutorial features, tips and hints etc having viewed the video.  for 1 6 i had snipped photos for most of the videos and used d straker or cut thru the fog for precis of transcription amended as required. i have numbered the groups in the 1 6 tutorials also the video featured in that group, i then number accordingly the images snipped for that video; makes access in the class more easy like a library. another small request, much as we enjoy your visuality while narrating we would prefer you off photo image at bottom of studio panel. fyi we have 10 in class now, most since june 2 years ago and it appears ours is the only affinity ed centre in nz !!! the only other i know is a camera club; certainly no institutes of photo diplomas etc

keep up the good work, good to see others getting on wagon like affinty revolution, but as a pom i enjoy the english accent

best regards

david helas [djh]

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I don't suppose there is a way you could offer ALL the videos as a download? I use a computer not connected to the net for all my image work and I would like to follow the tutorials on offer, if I could download them I would be able to play on an additional monitor along side my work station. Thank you.

PS. yes there is a way to download from Youtube but on last view there are some 69 videos:52_fearful:

Or one resource link to download all photos allowing users to select their download folder.  Your work is amazing, hands on practice, priceless. Thank you.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hey all, I've been on a roll with some new Photo tutorials this week—stay tuned daily for new videos, but I've updated the first post with three of the new ones so far:

Thanks,
James

As always, great videos.  As some have posted problems with Affinity & Catalina, could you schedule a Sidecar iPad Pro and Affinity Photo working hand in hand, a great marriage.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

• Staff

Hey again, these new videos have been trickling out on YouTube over the past few days, so I've updated the first post with them:

As always, hope you find them useful!

@James Ritson

Very grateful for your excellent tutorial videos.

Having just watched the episode  on Zoom Blur, I'm reminded to request that a layer icon be applied to those layers with Blend Options applied. Either that, or that the Blend Options be made part of the Layer Effects group so that an "fx" layer icon gets applied when Blend Options are applied.

It would be helpful to the user (especially when a file is shared in a group workflow) to identify which layers are being affected by Blend Options.

Thanks.

Hey James,

Would you consider doing a tutorial on the use of the transform tool in Panorama development please?  I understand the 5 points in the following way:

centre - pins the movement and can be moved to any point on the image.

4 exterior points used to rotate around the centre point but also to increase or decrease image size.  

As well the specific image can be moved using my finger.

However I must be missing something because I find this to be very tricky to use in manipulating that specific image in the pano.  

Also is there any consideration to be able to add points to the specific image in transformations.  

Hopes this makes sense.  

• Staff

Hi all, thanks for your feedback (it is being read!) in this thread. We're rounding off this new set of tutorials with these three:

More tutorials will of course be on the way in the future—thanks again and hope you find them useful. As per usual, the first post has been updated too.

On 6/5/2019 at 8:32 PM, hanshab said:

Hello James.  I still refer to the old set of tutorials now and then.  Lately I needed to look at the LUT tutorial.  Are they still available ? There is a  lot of good information there.

I managed to keep this link for the old tutorials. It still works, but has not been updated recently, so some of the resource links fail. However the old Affinity tutorials seem to have survived so far

http://www.miguelboto.com/affinity/

• Staff
28 minutes ago, GrahamMYC said:

I managed to keep this link for the old tutorials. It still works, but has not been updated recently, so some of the resource links fail. However the old Affinity tutorials seem to have survived so far

http://www.miguelboto.com/affinity/

There is no need to go away from these forums. This (deprecated) thread has a complete set of working links (afaik)

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/10119-legacy-official-affinity-photo-desktop-video-tutorials/

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2019 at 5:48 PM, sharkfish said:

Hi James...The new videos are great but i have been referring to the old videos on a regular basis and would enjoy having access to them. There is a lot of good information there. Are they available anywhere? 

I'm wondering the same thing, when are they? I want to see the advanced channel selections

There is no tutorial showing how to actually use this with a photo library on a Mac?  There is a tutorial showing how to open an individual file, but Mac uses a picture library in Mac Photos.  How do you open all the pictures you have in that library, in the Affinity Photos app, without doubling the storage space used (by importing the library like Lightroom does, which uses 2x more storage space?)