You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Official Affinity Photo V1 (Desktop) Tutorials

• Staff

affinity_photo_icon.png

Official Affinity Photo Desktop Tutorials

We've got a brand new set of tutorials that follow a more structured approach and are sorted into logical categories. You can access them by following this link:

https://affinity.serif.com/tutorials/photo/desktop

Please note that the previous thread is now considered legacy and has been unpinned. The videos linked in the thread are also considered legacy—they will remain accessible (albeit unlisted) but ultimately my goal is to produce suitable replacements over time using the new studio setup with live mixing and picture-in-picture. There's been a clear increase in quality of teaching and production values since Affinity Photo was first released back in 2015, and we hope to continue this moving forward.

The videos listed at the above link are hosted on Vimeo. Alternatively, please find a list below with YouTube links:

Basics

Advanced

Corrective & Retouching

Creative Tools

Filters & Adjustments

Export Persona

Workflows & Techniques

Astrophotography

Hope you find them useful!
James

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

I really like the new videos for Photo and Designer!!    For starters, they show the entire screen, so we can see which tool was selected, or where in the Menus or on the Toolbar one is clicking.    They are also far more explanatory with regard to steps taken, so one hasn't gone from a good idea to an accomplished deed in the blink of an eye!!    Really well done for those of us (surely I am not the only one) who normally learn from reading.   I hope these make it into Apple TV.    Nothing like a cosy evening with Unsharp Mask !

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Hey, James...

Just to nitpick...  The link to the video titled "Inpainting" says "Pinpointing" instead!

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

10 hours ago, sharkfish said:

Hi James...The new videos are great but i have been referring to the old videos on a regular basis and would enjoy having access to them. There is a lot of good information there. Are they available anywhere? 

Hi James,

Thanks for your ongoing educational efforts! Your videos are an indispensable resource for me.

I do love the format & quality of the new videos. Will eventually all old videos be adapted? I have a particular wish to review a video explaining how to select the sky from a foreground with a tree, using (if I remember correctly) temporarily converting to BW and enhancing contrast, then selecting by tonal value. I hope this one will be available soon, since I have a question on it.

Alternatively, same question as above: are the old ones still available?

Cheers, Jeroen.

Hi James, firstly thank you for the revamped tutorials, they are awesome as usual.  

I was wondering if you could give us a tutorial on the new HSL filter.  It is vastly changed and I would like the perspective on how much has changed as it seems to be much more complex than the previous iteration.  

With thanks in advance.  

31 minutes ago, marciomendonsa said:

HI!

Is this way to master Affinity Photo?

It is a really good start!   

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

• Staff

Hi all, thanks for the feedback so far! (Pinpointing has been renamed ;))

I'm aiming to get a few more videos done over the next 2-3 weeks (there is of course the Publisher launch to think about as well...). For now, here's a new one that covers how to use the new HDR/EDR display support. EDR support on macOS is limited to the newer MacBook Pro and iMac Pro panels (other models may be supported but I'm not sure), plus the new XDR display that was announced at WWDC. If you have a Windows machine you stand a better chance of using this feature since you just need an HDR-capable display and suitable graphics card. For example, I used my HDR TV at home to get the clips in this video!

The video has also been added to the list above. Hope you find it interesting!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

6 hours ago, AffinityFan2k19 said:

From over 200 videos down to 64!? That sucks...

BTW, you can only access the old videos if you downloaded them prior to the now, truncated video library...

http://www.miguelboto.com/affinity/photo/video-tutorials/

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

12 hours ago, Paul Mudditt said:

I have that bookmark too, but I did not offer it in these forums, because my MAC warns me in Safari that it is “Not Secure.”   In case of potential trouble, I did not want to be the villain who caused the problem.  Although so far, my MAC has kept me safe.  And I see that MEB has provided the same link in another topic in the forums.

13 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

I have that bookmark too, but I did not offer it in these forums, because my MAC warns me in Safari that it is “Not Secure.”   In case of potential trouble, I did not want to be the villain who caused the problem.  Although so far, my MAC has kept me safe.  And I see that MEB has provided the same link in another topic in the forums.

It’s just an old fashioned http site, if it was https it would be marked as secure. The page is collated by MEB I’d assumed going by initials.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

James outstanding video and content.  Now to see you putting all this in action, holding my breath. Thank you.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

43 minutes ago, Pattou said:

Can't have access... videos removed.

The Vimeo videos have been removed but the YouTube ones are still there.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

All YouTube videos (plus a truck load of other stuff) can be downloaded via JDownloader2

On Windows right click the file you want to download ...'Copy Link Address' 

The first 'Copy Link Address' when launching the app (each time) may have to be initiated. If so click bottom left 'Add New Links' and click the the url that'll open in a window. All further links after that are all good to go :)

JDownloader is safe ... Open Source, Free, No Charge ... etc

Edit: Only use my above link—ie .org ... the official source [there are aseholes with a .com from what I've read that may have other intentions] :(

Is it possible to mark all new videos as [NEW]..., in the first post if they all are not new?

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)