You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lost Keyboard Shortcuts [1.7.0] (split)

Fortunately I'm such an amateur that I had only one keyboard shortcut to toggle the fill color between black and white. But that shortcut is now gone. I was using the letter x as the shortcut and that's now used by something else.

Affinity Photo 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

yes,  it wipes them,  also refuses to restore backup files made by Affinity itself.  How did this escape beta testing?!  this is the very first thing anyone who uses Affinity would do,  no???

You can save / load your own defined shortcuts to/from file

BUT indeed the 1.6 shortcuts are not loaded

save_shortcuts.jpg

Edited by HVDB Photography

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

• Staff

This was caused by a bug that was identified very early on in the beta. Unfortunately the bug had slipped through the net and the developers are already working on a fix. This means that anyone already affected who hasn't exported their shortcuts will not be able to restore what has been lost.

I cannot apologise enough and I realise this should be an exciting time for everyone to upgrade :( 

The version 1.7 rollout fiasco calls into question Serif's ability to produce quality products. @Chris B's candid admission that the bug that wipes out some user customizations is at least a step forward in solving Serif's internal management problems. The year-long beta testing program was clearly inadequately managed and monitored.  One now has to wonder what other bugs "identified very early on" were overlooked or ignored or "slipped through the net". It's no comfort to know that developers are "already working on a fix". Was that not what they were supposed to be doing for the past year?

Pity the person who recommended Affinity Photo to his company and now finds his credibility destroyed. Will his boss excuse him because his colleagues should have known to export their customizations rather than trust Serif not to destroy them? What will his boss think when he learns that the company will now need ten times as much disk storage to accommodate the new version 1.7 afphoto format?

This fiasco reminds me of the publication of the Affinity Photo Workbook that I purchased in November 2017. Chapter One of the Workbook was a monument to poor design and inadequate proofreading. Now version 1.7 of AP is turning into a monument to inadequate testing and poor communication with customers.

Affinity Photo 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

10 hours ago, Granddaddy said:

The version 1.7 rollout fiasco calls into question Serif's ability to produce quality products. @Chris B's candid admission that the bug that wipes out some user customizations is at least a step forward in solving Serif's internal management problems. The year-long beta testing program was clearly inadequately managed and monitored.  One now has to wonder what other bugs "identified very early on" were overlooked or ignored or "slipped through the net". It's no comfort to know that developers are "already working on a fix". Was that not what they were supposed to be doing for the past year?

Pity the person who recommended Affinity Photo to his company and now finds his credibility destroyed. Will his boss excuse him because his colleagues should have known to export their customizations rather than trust Serif not to destroy them? What will his boss think when he learns that the company will now need ten times as much disk storage to accommodate the new version 1.7 afphoto format?

This fiasco reminds me of the publication of the Affinity Photo Workbook that I purchased in November 2017. Chapter One of the Workbook was a monument to poor design and inadequate proofreading. Now version 1.7 of AP is turning into a monument to inadequate testing and poor communication with customers.

Really? You feel the need to dump on them? You make it sound like everyone is having major issues with this release. FWIW, I'm very happy with 1.7 release. I've yet to have one hiccup. Not saying I won't, for now fresh install couldn't be better for me. I can't think I'm the only person without any issues, there must be way more. For you to trash them I think is out of line. The Serif developers do way more, are in touch with their customers, beta testers, than other major names such as Corel. Try their programs out, and then you'll have something to complain about.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

13 hours ago, Granddaddy said:

Hi, first of all, apologies for the loss of your keyboard shortcuts. We realise people take time and effort to customise the Affinity apps. I'm the Lead Dev for Windows, so I'm going to be investigating why this bug was missed during the beta period, and sorting out a plan to ensure this doesn't happen again. I've already built a fixed version of 1.7 and deployed it to beta testers, though I appreciate that won't help you, as your shortcuts have already been lost. 

• Staff
11 hours ago, Annfinity said:

I had this issue immediately after the update. But after about an hour or so the keyboard shortcuts began working again. 

Hi Annfinity,

Do you mean shortcuts were not working at all or that your custom shortcuts began working after a short time? 

13 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Hi, first of all, apologies for the loss of your keyboard shortcuts. We realise people take time and effort to customise the Affinity apps. I'm the Lead Dev for Windows, so I'm going to be investigating why this bug was missed during the beta period, and sorting out a plan to ensure this doesn't happen again. I've already built a fixed version of 1.7 and deployed it to beta testers, though I appreciate that won't help you, as your shortcuts have already been lost. 

Thanks very much, Mark. I'm glad to see the essence of the problem is understood at Serif. As I understand @M911 and @HVDB Photography, even having backups of the shortcuts would not have helped as Version 1.7 can't read the Version 1.6 customization export files. Small comfort knowing that even Microsoft wiped out people's actual data during the October 2018 update rollout and had to withdraw the release for weeks or months. And this will teach me once again to never install a new release of anything by anyone until several weeks after that release is issued. Beta testing is something like battle plans in war. The released version never survives encounter with the public.Time to move on to the enormous file sizes being generated by version 1.7, but I'll post that elsewhere.

Hey guys,

Sorry, but I have to go further and add more issues related to this …

For me the problem doesn't just affect the shortcut presets, it's not just Windows but Mac as well, and not just Photo  but also Designer is affected – this means all my custom presets like LUT, gradients, styles, assets, basically everything custom added/configured was reset or is now missing. I also found a topic where someone was missing crop-tool presets after upgrading as well.
Since I already had a similar problem with the user configuration when switching from beta to public release a few years ago, I took a look at my notes.
There's a folder /Users/USERNAME/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto/Data/Library/Application Support/user (located under MacOS), where normally all these settings are stored, unfortunately the restoration of this folder did not change the situation. This is genuinely, genuinely frustrating! :47_tired_face:

I can understand that in many cases the settings have now probably been irrevocably deleted and I can imagine the team has a lot on their hands right now so soon after the release, but please try to figure out how people can get their settings back in case they've got a backup.

Cheers and thanks
MrDoodlezz

2023_b.png.6eb47882072cc58253b7219526339b14.png