You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

strange outline when using update version

This is a real showstopper!

I have narrowed this bug down, it is caused by having a level adjustment.

On 1.6.7 it looks fine. In 1.7 the levels adjustment is causing the outline to show.

In 1.7 if I disable the levels then the outline disappears and looks as it does in 1.6.7

Attached is test file , also video showing toggling level on and off (with no settings altered in levels)

levelstest.afphoto

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
27 minutes ago, Mr Lucky said:

Any idea when this will be fixed? Thanks

If you're talking about v1, then it's unlikely it will ever be fixed!

Have you tried v2? If the bug is still there, I'd suggest starting a new thread in the appropriate section.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

The levels adjustment seems to have no effect (no slider moved out of neutral position)

if I delete it and create a new one, no issue are visible.

What do you want to achieve with the levels adjustment ?
Why are you using levels adjustment in CMYK mode for a RGB document? Adjustments on CMYK do not work the same way as in RGB, and often give unexpected results. 
Affinity made it possibly to play with them, but other to RGB, GREY, LAB Mode there is no clear definition how these should work in theory or practice. It is a creative playground, not a scientific tool.

All in all  the first question is what do you want to achieve, and is there a way to do this in Affinity correctly by other means. 
Adjustments in CMYK are not well defined even in theory. 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

1 hour ago, NotMyFault said:

What do you want to achieve with the levels adjustment ?

I am using it to change the look of the image.

1 hour ago, NotMyFault said:

Why are you using levels adjustment in CMYK mode for a RGB document?

Because I just loaded the level adjustment without knowing I had to switch it to RGB. I didn't even know it would be CMYK or that it would cause problems. If it does, you'd think it would load the levels with whatever mode the document is.

Anyway thanks for resolving this. I had presumed that because a staff member responded saying it was a bug that was logged by a staff member then that is what it was.

After more testing with V2.1.1, there are multiple bugs:

• with metal HW acceleration, rendering differs from no HW acceleration (original bug report)
  • Issue affects all non-RGB color models (e.g. LAB)
  • Even with HW accel off, there are minor rendering changes.

So I was a bit wrong when blaming it on CMYK color model alone. 

Never the less if you change blend mode from passthrough to normal, rendering seems correct. So you can use this as workaround.

Never the less once you start to adjust the sliders of the levels adjustment in CMYK mode (e.g. master), you will run into those other issues specific to CMYK.

The only reasonable use case is LAB mode and changing lightness for a "manageable" effect. 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.