You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I finally give up. How do you stroke something? I drew a rectangle with the marquee tool and want to stroke that line. I do it all the time in Photoshop, but I cannot find a way to do it in Affinity. I also can't find any instructions or tutorials online. There seems to be help for what to do with the stroke after you have it, but I need to create it in the first place. I have the same question for filling the selection.

thank you

Did you use the tool that looks like a blue rectangle in the toolbox? (It may be underneath another blue shape.) This will allow you to create a rectangle. You then select it and you can give it a stroke or fill in the context menu.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Thank you John Rosten. I appreciate the time you took to respond.

You say I "can give it a stroke." My question is how? What do I click on? What option do I use to actually, "give it a stroke?" In photoshop I open the "Edit" dropdown and click on "Stroke." Also though, the blue rectangle tool creates shapes. I often want to stroke custom selections--not rectangles or circles. 

thanks again

Hi, brucefrandsen,

From my recollection of other apps, there isn't anything in the Affinity suite quite like "stroke selection." That is, repeat a bitmap along a "magic wand" selection. One may make a selection, create a border on it, and duplicate that. The new layer can have a fill placed in it. The Designer app allows "vector brushes" to be pulled along vectors, but those need to be made w. the pen or pencil tool. There isn't any built in auto-trace that will turn a bitmap boundary to a vector.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Thank you gdenby.

By way of clarification, this is what I'm trying to do. I might use the marquee or the lasso tool in photoshop to make a selection. This can be any shape. Once the selection is made, I go to the "Stroke" option shown in the attached file and click on it. I window of stroke options appears and I set them the way I want them and it creates a stroke for the selection. It is very simple. The fill option works the same way. I use this option frequently and unless I can find a way to do it in Affinity, I will not be able to use Affinity. 

thank you

Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 1.13.15 PM.png