You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Replace while typing

I'm using the latest beta build, 1.7.0.376

I want to insert the mathematical prime symbol for inches, U+2033 using the shortcut word from Word ("pprime", because I'm used to it). I added it as a replace-text-as-you-type, but it doesn't change the text at all. I also tried just plain text, to replace "cant" with "can't", and that didn't do anything, either. Is there something else I need to enable to get text replacement to work?

Preferences 2019-06-05 12-13-50.png

If you see where the "Replace text while typing" line is, just below that is a language setting

Your text has to have the same language set in the Character Panel for auto-correct to work for those words 

Check that first

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I can see you are on a Mac and above you have "English" set in the dialogue

I am on Windows and I do not have a plain "English" setting anywhere

I have to choose from "English UK" or "English US"

And the auto-correct has to be set to the right one for it to work  (i,e, matching the text setting)

Do Mac users not have the "English UK" and "English US" alternatives?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Yes, interesting!

I'll let someone with a Mac see if they can help you further, as what you want to do (in your initial post) works fine for me as long as the languages match

I changed the language in the Preferences menu, from Default to English, and now auto replace works. So it looks like the language needs to be set in all three places...

17 hours ago, CP16 said:

in the Preferences menu, from Default to English

I assume that's System Preference on the Mac?

I'm still a bit confused about how Mac users don't have "English UK" and "English US" in Affinity

How do you differentiate between words like color and colour

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

I'm still a bit confused about how Mac users don't have "English UK" and "English US" in Affinity

As I understand it (poorly, probably, as I don't use Macs and can't check it) Affinity on Mac picks up the language from the Mac System Preferences. Presumably you can set English UK or English US in the Mac System Preferences, and Affinity uses whichever English you picked there.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks, Walt , that makes sense 

But what if you wanted your main text in English UK but needed to quote a long passage of text in English US and wanted to quote it in the American way of spelling certain words

Can you not switch Affinity to spell check different text in different versions of English?

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

No, it’s the Affinity Publisher app preferences. 

17 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Thanks, Walt , that makes sense 

But what if you wanted your main text in English UK but needed to quote a long passage of text in English US and wanted to quote it in the American way of spelling certain words

Can you not switch Affinity to spell check different text in different versions of English?

Good question.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.