You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Toolbar issue in Designer for MacOS 1.7.0 (split)

Is it normal that the toolbar messes up with the update? All my config is lost… and so I'm lost… tons of functionality missing now at the top of the window… next time I need to make a screenshot before updating, I guess. Any way to restore the toolbar config from before the update?

(Doesn't sound like a big deal, but rather than looking for new features and having fun I'm now trying to remember how I had my toolbar to bring back my workflow. Slight damper in my excitement for the new version ;) )

3D and 2D hobby(art)ist. You can follow me on Twitter: @binaryriot or Instagram: binaryriot

• Staff

It is not meant to reset your toolbars, no. I hope this does not happen for most. What "functionality" is missing?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Functionality as in the stuff I had configured up there… it really confuses muscle memory if things aren't in the same place or missing suddenly, but it's also hard to recall exactly how it was.

When I launched the new version I got some shorter toolbar config (but not identical to the default toolbar it offers me in the config panel). It had some sort of "baseline grid" (?) button at first position which looked somewhat broken. For some reason the toolbar config panel doesn't offer it, so I can't bring it back in (whatever new function this was) or make a screenshot of it after I just kicked it out. Broken look as in: the button had like a lot more border padding on the left side compared to its right side.

3D and 2D hobby(art)ist. You can follow me on Twitter: @binaryriot or Instagram: binaryriot

6 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

It is not meant to reset your toolbars, no. I hope this does not happen for most. What "functionality" is missing?

It reset my toolbars and studio panels on update. MAS version on 2 machines.

Same here, connfigs were all reset. Toolbar, keyboard shortcuts.

Really annoying for a tool you use professionally on a daily basis. If anything, have the updater make a backup automatically of settings and ask to use those upon restart.

My toolbars reset, both apps.

Studio panels I think did so partially?  Not 100% sure on those any more.

The default keyboard shortcut for the new Point Transform Tool was not added until I reset that part of the keyboard shortcuts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

@Andrew Tang

Can we please defensive code against this?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

This is actually making me hold off on the upgrade at the moment. I like the wait and see sometime.

This should be included with your workspace exports. This is how it was done in photoshop and seems like a good way to get up to speed quickly when you move to a new machine or need to update.

I was checking in with this same question and found this thread. After the updates to work with Publisher today, my Photo and Designer toolbars were reset as well.

Just to chime in once again: Another reason it'd be REAL nice if there were a way to save a workspace so you can revert your toolbar, your studio palettes, and toolbox to some predetermined layout you really like, anytime you need to. :) 

On 6/5/2019 at 4:57 PM, Patrick Connor said:

Still a relatively new user, but the latest 1.7.1 updates reset my toolbars in both Designer and Photo... *again*. The 1.7 updates did the same over the 1.6 installations. The rest of my workspace configuration remain (fortunately) untouched. The toolbars resetting is very jarring — and surely unnecessary!?

If relevant, I am still running macOS 10.12 High Sierra (am deliberately holding off updating the OS to avoid losing use of an older app).

• 8 months later...

I updated to 1.8.1 today and my toolbar was reset to some random layout again… luckily I had a screenshot at hand for Designer (not so lucky for Photo)

Is there anything I can do as user to mitigate the issue? Or is this by design? I'm not sure… I want to use my customised toolbar layout which has the functions I need in the order my muscle memory expects. :) I can never just update and then quickly continue to work… it's always waiting 1/2 hour for the update to download and then spend another 1/2 hour to fix the UI layout (after hunting for that screenshot of my layout in the archives). If one is in the middle of work this can be a huge time factor.