You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hidden line mode for only strokes?

Is there a way to hide sections of strokes with layers? For example, this is a bunch of shapes and curves. With a white fill the strokes are hidden behind the fill. I want that same view, but with no fill color, only the stroke lines, but still have the stroke lines hidden as in the first view. Is that possible?

Thanks,

Erich

hidden line example.jpg

Unfortunately it means I have to reorganize my comp, as layers and groups don't transfer the mix of normal and erase types even with the groups and layers set to passthrough.

Edit: Figured it out, if you group the normals and erases into their own groups under the main group or layer it does still work properly.

Well rats. No, I didn't know erase blend mode would rasterize on export. I'm working with a printer who specifically asked for an all vector EPS file.

Are there any options that would remain vector on export? I'd really rather not have to completely redraw a large composition. What I need is a "transparent fill" where it renders anything underneath transparent.

Erich 

2 hours ago, ELinder said:

Well rats. No, I didn't know erase blend mode would rasterize on export. I'm working with a printer who specifically asked for an all vector EPS file.

Are there any options that would remain vector on export? I'd really rather not have to completely redraw a large composition. What I need is a "transparent fill" where it renders anything underneath transparent.

Erich 

Yeah it can be done, but it's gonna be a hassle. It'll require a lot of masking using inversions of the illustration's shapes.
I've attached a simple example. Shapes overlapping multiple shapes will need more than one mask. (You can combine/consolidate multiple masks if you like.... just extra work if you ask me.)

Maybe there's an easier way... :/

HiddenLines vector.afdesign

Lesson learned line draw neatly and add fill's as needed, then you get the best of both worlds.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

8 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Lesson learned line draw neatly and add fill's as needed, then you get the best of both worlds.

The point was to have only lines visible without using fills, otherwise all transparent. A hidden line wireframe like view common in 3D modeling applications.

Erich

4 hours ago, ELinder said:

The point was to have only lines visible without using fills, otherwise all transparent. A hidden line wireframe like view common in 3D modeling applications.

Erich

Got ya :D

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Here's where using a cheap or free vectorizer is usefull. The original illu run thru ImageVectorizer for Mac, cost $5.

Untitled.eps

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Yes, I tried that with both Pixelmator Pro and Super Vectorizer 2. It works to a fashion, but it's never going to be as crisp as finding a native vector solution. Come to think of it, not just a "transparent fill" would be useful, but a "transparent stroke" that is as controllable as a colored stroke.

Erich

• 1 year later...
On 6/7/2019 at 10:28 AM, ELinder said:

Yes, I tried that with both Pixelmator Pro and Super Vectorizer 2. It works to a fashion, but it's never going to be as crisp as finding a native vector solution. Come to think of it, not just a "transparent fill" would be useful, but a "transparent stroke" that is as controllable as a colored stroke.

Erich

Interestingly, I've been looking for the very same thing in Affinity Designer. I'd like to add my voice to the request for an option that effectively creates a "transparent" controllable stroke — perhaps an optional checkbox that makes such a transparent stroke behave as if it is a color by hiding what is behind the stroke. The way I envision it, this would make certain projects much simpler.

• 1 year later...