You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Gradient on a path bug

There seems to be a bug (not only, but more severe) in Publisher whe you try to apply a gradient to a path.

1) When you draw a path, select it, click on "Stroke" (the path is still uni-color) click on "gradient" - a nice gradient is show but not reflected on the selected path (this is inconsistent). From my understandig the path instantly should reflect what the dialog shows. (would call that a workflow hick-up not a bug)

2) If you now move the midpoint from 0% to 100% the result only affects a part of the path (this is a bug) - See attached file.

3) A major problem I see in the way the gradient is implemented for a path is that it's just an "overlay" from a left side to right side gradien - and not a gradient along the path ... this leads to ridiculous ways the gradient/path looks like (seems to affect al Affinity programs - see second screenshot from AP with just 1 path and a gradient - don't even know why the path partially is cut of on the left) - and you can't even define the angle of the overlaying gradient so it's completely static.

I guess this needs a serious rework..
Cheers,
Timo

pub3.png

pub4.png

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

To make a non-appearing new Fill color gradient appear in a selected object AND/OR to avoid the different mid-points in gradient options window towards gradient on page you either need to

– slightly move the mid-point or
– use the Fill tool instead.

1750915237_gradientmidpoint.jpg.e6ca7fa5a4cd2c231f1b14717040ff91.jpg     659928795_filltool.jpg.a6ab88a52f9200d5106dc4fdd7b2ad0f.jpg

Sean P has commented this and posted a video about that issue:

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I  watched the explanation of Sean ... but this seems somewhere between just mind boggling and ridiculous ...  It would just need two different cases to differentiate gradients with a center and with a start and beginning and apply them accordingly. And maybe make it obvious which is applied where. When the user applies a gradient (what is by default a LINEAR gradient) he would expect it to be valid for the whole path - not only 50% of it. Maybe it would be helpful if the gradient availability (valid area, start & endpoint) is shown within the object. The way it is implemented right now hardly anyone will understand what's going on.

So even if we take this crazy approach as "intended by default" (LOL) it still is a fact that the linear gradient is only applied to HALF of the path and not the whole path as common sense would assume.

And of course I ask myself, why is it implemented differently in AP and AD?

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

40 minutes ago, DarkClown said:

So even if we take this crazy approach as "intended by default" (LOL) it still is a fact that the linear gradient is only applied to HALF of the path and not the whole path as common sense would assume. 

In my experience a gradient suddenly extends from HALF to full lengths if you wiggle, jiggle, shake ... the mid-point – just a bit is enough ;). Or use the "official" way with Fill tool to set its lengths on your object.

I agree and see it as a UI bug, too. But obviously simply different to the developers team.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.