You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

After today's update of Affinity Photo the app freezes after calling a NIK filter.

After today's update of Affinity Photo (1.7) the app freezes after calling a NIK filter. A message appears: Fonts are being updated. But the process has no end.
Please correct as soon as possible, because I am preparing an exhibition!

Affinity Photo - LR_edit-78.tif [Geändert] (53.9%) 2019-06-05 17-11-01.png

• Staff

Hi Rotuared,

Unfortunately this is a known issue but it is in DXO's hands to fix. You can find out more here: 

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Half an hour ago everything worked out fine with the pre-version of Affinity Photo. All Nik filters could be called without any problems in Version 1.6. I still owned the Google version of the NIK filters. I had bought all the filters before the Google takeover.
My Topaz filters still work fine after the update.

HDR Efex Pro, Analog Efex Pro 2, Colour Efex Pro 4, Silver Efex Pro 2 do not work!. The rest work (Dfine 2, Sharpener, Viveza 2)

6 hours ago, Callum said:

Unfortunately this is a known issue but it is in DXO's hands to fix. You can find out more here: 

I only have the Google version of the NIK plugins & the same ones that @rotuared mentioned above hang the retail 1.7 version of Affinity Photo for Mac. So since DXO is unlikely to fix anything in the Google version, does this mean I will never be able to use those plugins with Photo? :(

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
10 hours ago, R C-R said:

I only have the Google version of the NIK plugins & the same ones that @rotuared mentioned above hang the retail 1.7 version of Affinity Photo for Mac. So since DXO is unlikely to fix anything in the Google version, does this mean I will never be able to use those plugins with Photo? :(

Unfortunately it does seem that way the only information I have is that it is a problem with NIK and not Affinity.

1 hour ago, Callum said:

Unfortunately it does seem that way the only information I have is that it is a problem with NIK and not Affinity.

Oh well, it isn't exactly the end of the world because, while not convenient or elegant, I can still use the stand alone Google NIK apps when necessary.

However, it would be much appreciated if in a 1.7.x update for the Mac version of Photo, something was added that automatically disabled the NIK plugins that hang the app, because trying to use one of them can cause data loss.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
Just now, R C-R said:

Oh well, it isn't exactly the end of the world because, while not convenient or elegant, I can still use the stand alone Google NIK apps when necessary.

However, it would be much appreciated if in a 1.7.x update for the Mac version of Photo, something was added that automatically disabled the NIK plugins that hang the app, because trying to use one of them can cause data loss.

That is a great point I'll see what I can do.

I did had this issue and it got fixed by reinstalling the Nik by DxO but, in the installation process I had forgotten to install the plugin in the same folder that was linked with AP plugin. So make sure you install the plugin in the same folder, done, work like before.

15 minutes ago, mikerofoto said:

I did had this issue and it got fixed by reinstalling the Nik by DxO but, in the installation process I had forgotten to install the plugin in the same folder that was linked with AP plugin. So make sure you install the plugin in the same folder, done, work like before.

Are you a Windows or Mac user? From what I have read, the NIK plugins from DxO are not compatible with the Mac version of Affinity Photo at all.

Affinity Photo 

16 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

When PSE is still your friend ...

PSE stopped being my friend many years ago, when it typically either quit working completely or became increasingly unstable & crash-prone whenever I upgraded the OS on my Macs ... & Adobe's 'fix' for that was for Mac users to buy an upgraded version, with an iffy main-in rebate option instead of an upfront discount for those of us who owned a previous version. >:(

Like several other Adobe apps of that era, it also installed bunches of files in a lot of different locations, some of them obscure & non-standard enough that even Adobe's uninstaller could not find & remove them. Moreover, those old Mac versions were very picky about which plugins they could use.

Overall, it seemed more like a long con than anything a real friend would do.

Affinity Photo 

• Staff
1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Are you a Windows or Mac user? From what I have read, the NIK plugins from DxO are not compatible with the Mac version of Affinity Photo at all.

DxO has updated the Nik Collection - it's now called Nik Collection 2 by DxO. It works with Affinity Photo 1.7 for Mac except HDR Efex 2 which only displays the plugin window without loading/displaying the image. There's also a few colour issues in Viveza 2  in the preview window - zooming in should render the colours correctly.

There may be other issues but I've just installed it a few moments ago and haven't checked it extensively.

5 minutes ago, MEB said:

DxO has updated the Nik Collection - it's now called Nik Collection 2 by DxO. It works with Affinity Photo 1.7 for Mac except HDR Efex 2 which only displays the plugin window without loading/displaying the image. There's also a few colour issues in Viveza 2  in the preview window - zooming in should render the colours correctly.

Good to know that the updated version (mostly) works with 1.7 for Macs, if for no other reason than because it suggests that DxO thinks it is worth their time & effort to add support for Photo for Macs. :)

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Mac user, and its working. too easy to just click to install and forgot to install the plugin in the right folder.

actually did upload 2 images taken with AP running latest Nik in another thread.

9 minutes ago, MEB said:

Although it works in Affinity Photo 1.7, DxO still doesn't support Affinity apps officially.

Yeah, I did notice that at the bottom of their promo pages they only list Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, and DxO PhotoLab 2 ESSENTIAL Edition as supported, but maybe Affinity Photo (& perhaps other apps) are not listed because they are not fully supported?

Affinity Photo 

35 minutes ago, worrasf said:

Just requested a refund and reverting to V1.6

What are you getting a refund for? The new 1.7 is a free upgrade from 1.6.

Before I installed 1.7 I made a copy of the 1.6 folder, calling it Photo 1.6. I can still run the old program from there.

I recently upgraded to the new Nik Collection 2 and it works fine with both 1.6 and 1.7.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

2 minutes ago, mikerofoto said:

Mac user, and its working.

So everything works for you, including  HDR Efex 2 & Viveza 2 without any of the color issues @MEB mentioned?

Affinity Photo 

6 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

Before I installed 1.7 I made a copy of the 1.6 folder, calling it Photo 1.6. I can still run the old program from there.

You don't have any problems with preferences or propcol files sharing the same folder for both 1.6 & 1,7, or does renaming the older version somehow avoid doing that?

I just noticed that you are a Windows user, so that would explain why it works for you. 

Edited by R C-R

Affinity Photo 

8 minutes ago, R C-R said:

So everything works for you, including  HDR Efex 2 & Viveza 2 without any of the color issues @MEB mentioned?

haven't tried HDR and viveza, never got the idea of using 1 image only for HDR, viveza always been...,  maybe I should check how it run, colours probably still wrong =)

but MEB said there was still issues with HDR and Viveza.

* tried HDR and Viveza and nope, still not usable for me, viveza got wrong colours with sRGB and HDR open but doesn't load image.

Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 10.40.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 10.41.05 AM.png

6 minutes ago, R C-R said:

You don't have any problems with preferences or propcol files sharing the same folder for both 1.6 & 1,7, or does renaming the older version somehow avoid doing that?

I did this following the advice of @Patrick Connor. The intention was to have a version for those plugins that do not work in 1.7. I have only had an hour or so to play, but everything that worked in 1.6 still works in 1.7. If the preferenced maintain the same propcol fioes that can only be good.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

40 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

What are you getting a refund for? The new 1.7 is a free upgrade from 1.6.

I recently upgraded to the new Nik Collection 2 and it works fine with both 1.6 and 1.7.

John

Yes. In my eagerness to upgrade I went and purchased a new copy of 1.7 Doh!

• 2 weeks later...