You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

ADe Request: Live trace tool

I am wondering if the Affinity team has any plans to implement the "Live Trace Tool" that Adobe and many other companies have on their vector applications. It seems like its a tool that every vector app should have but unfortunately Designer doesn't have it. :(  I know that the old Serif DrawPlus app had the Live Trace tool and worked pretty well back then. I hope you guys implement this tool soon. 

Funny story, I actually needed it last week due to the fact one can not convert a vector brush to an outline. So, I had to copy and paste it into illustrator, live traced what I designed, convert to outlines and then import it back to Designer. It took a while to figure all this because I wanted Affinity Designer to be able to do this.

I am still a happy customer and will still preach the word of the Affinity apps. 

Thanks a bunch! 

On 6/5/2019 at 5:18 PM, paulstar08 said:

I am wondering if the Affinity team has any plans to implement the "Live Trace Tool" that Adobe and many other companies have on their vector applications. It seems like its a tool that every vector app should have but unfortunately Designer doesn't have it. :(  I know that the old Serif DrawPlus app had the Live Trace tool and worked pretty well back then. I hope you guys implement this tool soon. 

Yeah you right that [Auto Trace/ Live Trace] would be a really nice feature in Affinity Designer ! :D I woud love to scan my Lettering from paper into the mac and have a fast way of Vectorizing it and put it on shirts, mugs and cap logo [embroidered]. I must say I love :17_heart_eyes: Affinity Designer and so far I´m super happy with it ! Thank you Team Serif, keep these amazing free updates coming ..we will keep promoting these amazing software :10_wink:

• 2 years later...

I would also love to see the addition of a trace tool. Currently I use Inkscape to trace bitmaps to path. It's a free desktop app with a trace preview window so you can see how the trace will look with your chosen settings before you commit. The vector is then exported as an .svg file which can be opened in Affinity Designer.

• 4 months later...

I, too, would love to see this "live trace" option added to Designer that can with one click transform my creations into vectors. I do use another program to do this. However, keeping everything inside the Affinity Suite of products would drastically improve my workflow. One of the key things I love about working with the Affinity Suite of products on my desktop is the ease it has in switching from one program to another seamlessly, but the only missing piece at this point is the ability to quickly and easily convert my drawings into vectors inside Affinity.  

Thank you for considering this request.

• 9 months later...
On 6/8/2019 at 2:21 PM, Donomar112 said:

Yeah you right that [Auto Trace/ Live Trace] would be a really nice feature in Affinity Designer ! :D I woud love to scan my Lettering from paper into the mac and have a fast way of Vectorizing it and put it on shirts, mugs and cap logo [embroidered]. I must say I love :17_heart_eyes: Affinity Designer and so far I´m super happy with it ! Thank you Team Serif, keep these amazing free updates coming ..we will keep promoting these amazing software :10_wink:

SO I AM STILL WATING  😅 ... I Personally think they did pretty poor with this upgrade NEW VERSION (ADV2) !!! (hope they implement it in an update!)

And I see a lot of complaints because of the UI with the contrast and visibility of check boxes, personally I don't have problems but they should give more customization to the User Interface ! What you guys think ?? 🤔