You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo for Windows - 1.7.0

Hi,

Thanks for the nice enhancements.

However, sorry to see that the request about workspace management discussed in the threads mentioned below has been again ignored. Moreover, my workspace has been again destroyed during the upgrade. Since this already happened during the 2 preceding upgrades, I had a backup of C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Workspaces\Photo.

--Patrick
Hamburg ist der wahre Grund
warum Kompassnadeln nach Norden zeigen.

Phenomenal updates and kudos to the team. I'm looking forward to delving into them (and purchasing Publisher)

However, there is a major caveat (or rather two).

Why, after all this time, does AP still lack the capacity to constrain a line to the horizontal and vertical? Do you really not understand how vital this is to the workflow of many concept artists and matte-painters? There's no need to copy Photoshop's implementation - just take a look at Krita, which I find myself using far more than AP simply because it still lacks this function.

Krita has a separate straight line tool, which, when the Shift key is held down, constrains a line to the horizontal and vertical. Otherwise, at the very least why not give the user some visual cue that a line is perpendicular or horizontal to its starting point - a change of colour for the cursor perhaps or a popup icon next to the cursor? Something at least.

Second caveat is the lack of collapsible and dockable Studios. Studios that into an icon toolbar much like that in Photoshop. Very useful for clearing out unneeded obstructions to the workspace.

Otherwise, AP is progressing nicely.

www.grantregan.com // burning sky / art of grant regan - art direction // concepts // matte-painting // illustration

Lenovo e570p - i7 7700hq / Win10 pro / 32Gb 2400mhz RAM / NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti / Wacom Cintiq 13HD & Huion Kamvas 16 Pro

10 hours ago, supermundane said:

Phenomenal updates and kudos to the team. I'm looking forward to delving into them (and purchasing Publisher)

However, there is a major caveat (or rather two).

Why, after all this time, does AP still lack the capacity to constrain a line to the horizontal and vertical? Do you really not understand how vital this is to the workflow of many concept artists and matte-painters? There's no need to copy Photoshop's implementation - just take a look at Krita, which I find myself using far more than AP simply because it still lacks this function.

Krita has a separate straight line tool, which, when the Shift key is held down, constrains a line to the horizontal and vertical. Otherwise, at the very least why not give the user some visual cue that a line is perpendicular or horizontal to its starting point - a change of colour for the cursor perhaps or a popup icon next to the cursor? Something at least.

Second caveat is the lack of collapsible and dockable Studios. Studios that into an icon toolbar much like that in Photoshop. Very useful for clearing out unneeded obstructions to the workspace.

Otherwise, AP is progressing nicely.

That was added into 1.7 way back in February on the shift modifier and it works exactly the same as the shift modifier in Photoshop. I know this because I was the guy who first reported it during the Beta (the developers forgot to write this down in their Beta notes as well).

To prove that this is in fact a feature in 1.7, here's a simple video demonstration:

Btw, I checked out Krita earlier today and that tool you mentioned is pretty sweet. However, the best measurement tool is by far Lazy Nezumi Pro which supports way more than just straight lines (we need that addon fully supported by Affinity and/or just implement nearly every feature for brush measurements).

@supermundane Oh, regarding your issue with panels, I actually made a tutorial in this thread on how to set up your panels so they obstruct the least amount of space while making all those windows toggable (just go to the two videos I uploaded, especially the last one where I go into more detail). It's not quite like how Photoshop does it with its small icon bars (wouldn't mind seeing that implemented into Affinity as well though), but it does solve the issue of having your canvas filled with panels everywhere, since you can make them stack as well as snap each of them to each other while minimizing/maximizing and/or moving them when needed.

On 6/6/2019 at 1:56 AM, Frozen Death Knight said:

That was added into 1.7 way back in February on the shift modifier and it works exactly the same as the shift modifier in Photoshop. I know this because I was the first guy who reported it during the Beta (the developers forgot to write this down in their Beta notes as well).

...Btw I checked out Krita earlier today and that tool you mentioned is pretty sweet. However, the best measurement tool is by far Lazy Nezumi Pro which supports way more than just straight lines (we need that addon fully supported by Affinity and/or just implement nearly every feature for brush measurements).

Hi Frozen Death Knight. Thanks for this. I quickly trialed 1.7 after install but couldn't find this feature. I will check out your video (thanks for taking the time to create this) and play around with it later tonight when I have some free time. I'll also check out the measurement tool you cited.

Thanks again and great news! I may finally be able to ditch Photoshop once and for all.

www.grantregan.com // burning sky / art of grant regan - art direction // concepts // matte-painting // illustration

Lenovo e570p - i7 7700hq / Win10 pro / 32Gb 2400mhz RAM / NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti / Wacom Cintiq 13HD & Huion Kamvas 16 Pro

11 minutes ago, supermundane said:

Hi Frozen Death Knight. Thanks for this. I quickly trialed 1.7 after install but couldn't find this feature. I will check out your video (thanks for taking the time to create this) and play around with it later tonight when I have some free time. I'll also check out the measurement tool you cited.

Thanks again and great news! I may finally be able to ditch Photoshop once and for all.

You're welcome! Tell me how it went once you're done playing! :P

so... .any ideas why my shortcuts backup fails to load my shortcuts?  I kept regular backups of those - because - I have - SO many....  had so many.  

oh,  and also I cannot even read my backup file because it's binary.

I feel a bit like my avatar looks

Hello, great improvements and the speed has also increased.
But what are the feature enhancements expected in a jump from 1.6 to 1.7? Is there a list of the extension (except the change logs of the betas).
Greetings Dieter

Germany, Affinity Photo WIN 1.7 , LR6, WIN10

• Staff

@Samoreen

Agreed, sorry. It must not happen again.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
5 hours ago, M911 said:

any ideas why my shortcuts backup fails to load my shortcuts?  I kept regular backups of those - because - I have - SO many....  had so many. 

@M911 So sorry about that. I am pleased you have them backed up. I believe this has been reported and I would hope a future patch will go back to loading those backups.. In the meantime, sorry again. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
22 minutes ago, affwin said:

But what are the feature enhancements expected in a jump from 1.6 to 1.7?

...they are in the openning post of this thread you are replying to! What else are you hoping for?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff
7 hours ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

That was added into 1.7 way back in February on the shift modifier

I will get this announcement post (and the Mac one) tweaked,  @supermundane sorry for the oversight in the list.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

3 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

I will get this announcement post (and the Mac one) tweaked,  @supermundane sorry for the oversight in the list.

No problem Patrick. Apologies for jumping the gun. I tested 1.7 briefly before posting. I'm looking forward to delving into the new features.

I will say that I do prefer the old shortcut icons :) A minor niggle.

Anyway, great work guys!

Getting an error message when I attempt to upgrade from 1.6.5.123. Reply says "Supported Windows version not found" I checked my computer and I have Windows 10, Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.318)

I am able to successfully run 1.6.5.123 and am wondering what the potential issue might be that prevent me from moving to 1.7.

• Staff
5 minutes ago, KLC1945 said:

Getting an error message when I attempt to upgrade from 1.6.5.123. Reply says "Supported Windows version not found"

I think you have not got a complete download. It should be 335 MB (351,704,336 bytes) (use File Properties -> details) Please download it again. If it goes wrong again, make a new thread in the support forum

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

4 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Please download it again.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)