You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

@Brad Brighton Brad, I really appreciate your efforts here.  I've had a look in the receipts folder as you described and find only 2 serif-related entries, both from last year, and so can't be the purchase of AP as that was the year before if not earlier.  The other link you provide feels like a level of complexity that is way beyond my knowledge level and so I am reluctant to go fiddling about there.  

I am very happy with 1.6 so I would be content to live with that.  I guess there's a concern that I risk missing out on something much more significant that the upgrade to 1.7 but I may just have to swallow that.

I'm grateful.

2 minutes ago, Shoogles said:

@Brad Brighton Brad, I really appreciate your efforts here.  I've had a look in the receipts folder as you described and find only 2 serif-related entries, both from last year, and so can't be the purchase of AP as that was the year before if not earlier.  The other link you provide feels like a level of complexity that is way beyond my knowledge level and so I am reluctant to go fiddling about there.  

I am very happy with 1.6 so I would be content to live with that.  I guess there's a concern that I risk missing out on something much more significant that the upgrade to 1.7 but I may just have to swallow that.

I'm grateful.

The receipts file can get updated from time to time so those may be good -- you're probably a "known" user to the system.

As far as parsing the danger/difficulty of the technical discussion in the StackExchange thread, I can tell you that as long as you're dealing with cache directories, you're not going to break anything. The worst that will happen is something may be a little slower for a bit while the specific caches are rebuilt (that's what caches are for, to modify themselves over time based on usage -- clearing/deleting them means they restart from scratch).

Do the CMD-SHIFT-G trick in a Finder window and type in (no quotes): "~/Library/Caches". Look for these directories below and delete them if they exist. Restarting the machine after that is the most convenient way to get the store update system to restart cleanly.

~/Library/Caches/storeaccount
~/Library/Caches/storeassets
~/Library/Caches/storedownload
~/Library/Caches/storeinappd

I would certainly nudge you to get this resolved even if you decide to do it over time since the Serif apps may not be the only ones you're missing out on updates for. I highly doubt this situation is solely limited to Affinity Photo.

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

14 minutes ago, Brad Brighton said:

Do the CMD-SHIFT-G trick in a Finder window and type in (no quotes): "~/Library/Caches".

@Brad Brighton I did this search but it threw up nothing at all, which surprised me.  

I had previously searched for 'serif' in the receipts folder your referred to and that came up with what you can see in the attached screenshot

searchiing.tiff

3 minutes ago, Shoogles said:

@Brad Brighton I did this search but it threw up nothing at all, which surprised me.  

I had previously searched for 'serif' in the receipts folder your referred to and that came up with what you can see in the attached screenshot

searchiing.tiff

Don't rely on Spotlight -- Apple actively blocks "normal" users from seeing the pieces we're talking about. Specifically go into the folder I mentioned and see what is there (or not there) -- unless you did that too, in which case I apologize -- it's not clear from your response.

In what general area of the world do you live (timezone specifically)? I might be able to help you interactively at some point in the next few days. It's starting to sound like you're going to need some hands-on tech assistance to clear this up.

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

Ah sorry I wasn't clear.  I searched in  /private/var/db/receipts/ as you suggested using the search field at the top of the window.  I then tried various other iterations in case I was missing something obvious.   

Time zone. I'm In the UK:  GMT +1.  Any help gratefully received.

1 hour ago, Shoogles said:

Ah sorry I wasn't clear.  I searched in  /private/var/db/receipts/ as you suggested using the search field at the top of the window.  I then tried various other iterations in case I was missing something obvious.   

Time zone. I'm In the UK:  GMT +1.  Any help gratefully received.

Ok, what about the "~/Library/Caches" part? Have you tried that yet?

5 hours ago, Shoogles said:

Yes that was the search that drew a complete blank.

Ok. Check your messages here please.